Subject: Card Quality/Defects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Hoffman
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope I'm the only one who has this rampant of issues, but it seems from the two boxes I've open of the four received that a good chunk of the cards (around half at least) have some kind of defect on them. Streaking, peeled up coating, scratches, indentations, maybe some other things I'm not remembering. I only had time last night to document one deck worth of defects, but I noticed it on many of the cards in the 8 decks I looked at last night. Some the defects I listed were really minor and I would probably ignore them normally if there weren't so many others.

The defects were mostly on the front so it wouldn't effect gameplay, but because of how many there are would be a visual annoyance everytime I played, and still kind of disappointing.

I'll send this in a support request email later when I've documented all the decks with issues. I want to see if anyone else has problems this rampant. A set of common cards was combined into each deck so for this I will just list the commons with the deck I examined. I'll list the card and then how many of that type had defects on front and on back.

Reese deck cards with defects
Action Reference
Knight wave Front 1
Ballista Front 1 Back 1
Gallant Defender Front 2
Gauntlet Fury Front 2
Chivalry Front 2
Sovreign Glory Front 1 Back 2
Checkmate Back 1
Cross Front 2 Back 1
Grasp Front 2
Assault Front 2
Dive Front 2 Back 1
Spike Front 1
Sweep Front 2
Block Front 2
Focus Front 1

I also noticed that the cards don't seem consistently cut. Some of the borders on the back of the cards are a few millimeters different than others. Noticeable Mostly because in the center of the top border there is some brown speckling and more is apparent when the border is wider and less apparent when it is thinner.

Again hopefully no one else has these issues as severe as my boxes seem to, but for the first time I was kind of disappointed in a Level 99 produced game. Not that this issue can't be fixed.

edit: spelling/grammar as I catch it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm... The worst I've seen in my sets is a very, very slight mismatch on the colors on the backs of the Foil VS non-Foil cards, as well as the cards from the different packages having a slightly different level of warping common in card games (most noticeable between the Foil and non-Foil cards, but still there for the others), but the latter is very much expected in games that include both foil and non-foil cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was planning on using clear sleeves because I like showing off the card backs but it looks like I'll be using opaque ones now due to the issues I am hearing. Still waiting on my copies to arrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd check your sets before making the call on Clear VS Opaque sleeves. As I said, the color difference on mine is very, very slight and was only noticeable at all because I was specifically looking for a color mismatch between the standard and foil cards, and even then would likely have missed it if my primary hobby was not painting miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for bringing these issues to our attention.

Some slight mis-coloring on the backs is natural, since the foils are printed at a different time than the rest of the cards, and the ink levels in the printer may have been slightly different. You would see this same variation between non-foil cards printed at the start and the end of the print run.

The issue with the cut of the cards is more troubling, and something we'll address with the factory for Season 2.

We've had a few reports of decks with serious defects, but nothing beyond what you would normally expect in a print run of this size. I'm forwarding things on to the factory as they come in though, so that we can get the process cleaned up and catch more of these in Quality Control next time. In the meantime, we'll replace any damages, just send us a support ticket through level99games.com

Season 1 was done on a shoestring budget, and I think that the card quality turned out very well for what we were able to pay for it. My hope is that the first set will reel enough people in with gameplay that in season 2 we can raise a bit more and improve the stock of the cards further. That should also alleviate some of these issues with the foils.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hoffman
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started a spreadsheet looking at every card from every deck and documenting what the specific issues are. Done 7 out of 16 so far. I'd say about 75% of the issues for mine seems to be with the coating or whatever it is. Mostly where something dragged back and forth across it before it was dry or something, and a few other coating issues. The coating has a weird skin looking texture to it, which I don't know if that was intended.

Another 10% or so are little indentations from what looks like it could be little holes in the core material, and the last 15% or so are from scratches about half of which are very straight and usually close to perfectly vertical or horizontal.

If it was just a few cards I wouldn't mind, but it seems at least 85% of my cards have one of those issues.

Anyways once I've documented it all I'll send it to a support email or whatever. Since no one else has really commented I might be the only one with this many cards with issues, which would be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my stuff so I haven't gotten a chance to sleeve anything yet. I'll be doing it since I got another KS project in today also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had the scraping and blotching issues with the coating on the cards as well. Once sleeved you cannot tell, but does not affect enjoyment of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
Season 1 was done on a shoestring budget, and I think that the card quality turned out very well for what we were able to pay for it. My hope is that the first set will reel enough people in with gameplay that in season 2 we can raise a bit more and improve the stock of the cards further. That should also alleviate some of these issues with the foils.

Hopefully with a less controversial art style, you'll bring in more folks too. I know a lot of folks were turned off by some of the Red Horizon characters. Any word on what season 2 will be? I know you mentioned none of the external ip's worked out, so it will be a level 99 property or public domain... would be interesting to see what else other than Indines you have. I know there's esper cross, which I'm pretty excited for. Any hope for a Mystic Empyrean set? Some of the characters in the rpg book seemed really cool. If Katrina Lin is available for the card art, so much the better.

As for public domain, there are so many great folklore and mythology characters. I recently discovered the Thai folk tale about Nang Tani, a ghostly young woman who haunts banana trees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benstylus wrote:
Any word on what season 2 will be? I know you mentioned none of the external ip's worked out, so it will be a level 99 property or public domain... would be interesting to see what else other than Indines you have.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/exceed-car...

Quote:
I've set aside a healthy budget and hired an exceptional new artist to create an original property for 2017, with a gothic horror theme to it. I look forward to telling you more next week, when I hope that the first character establishing artworks will be completed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just opened through all the boxes and these were things I noticed.

1. The colors and sharpness of the cards are really nice. Card stock is a lot better than I expected. The foils look really cool.

2. The foil cards are a slightly different size than the non foil cards. It's not night and day like BattleCON Devastation and War Remastered but it is slightly noticeable.

3. The card backs have slightly different color variations and cuts between the foil cards, the normal attacks, and character attack cards. This is one of the more extreme ones I noticed from one of the sets.

4. The card coating feels really nice, but there's some weird things with some of the cards. I noticed that some of the finishes didn't settle correctly or something so you get weird splotches of missing finishes. And some of the finishes have lines running over it.

At the moment, I'm not sure if I want to go with clear or opaque colored sleeves. The card backs do look pretty nice though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
RayLancer wrote:

Ray, do many of your cards have that red splotch on the front and back at the top like the 3rd card in this picture? About 95% of my cards are marked with that splotch, and i'm wondering if it's the unmarked cards that are the print error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoubleH wrote:
RayLancer wrote:

Ray, do many of your cards have that red splotch on the front and back at the top like the 3rd card in this picture? About 95% of my cards are marked with that splotch, and i'm wondering if it's the unmarked cards that are the print error.

I'd say about half of my cards do. I think it's due to the cards being slightly miscut. I'm not sure if I want to sleeve my stuff with clear or opaque sleeves now.

EDIT: Having a solid color border may have prevented some issues with the coloration and cut issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, I don't see the "red splotch" defect that either of you are talking about in these pictures. Can you explain why you feel any of these three cards are defective? They look fine to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hoffman
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are talking about the speckling in the middle of the top border. Which is present on some cards and not present on others, in my sets too. I don't think it was a defect per se just a part of the card back art that just looks like a defect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
majora999 wrote:
I think they are talking about the speckling in the middle of the top border. Which is present on some cards and not present on others, in my sets too. I don't think it was a defect per se just a part of the card back art that just looks like a defect.

Yeah. I think the one I showed is the more extreme one I seen so far. This is my Satoshi deck and all the cards are like that. I know which card is an Ultra, Normal and Character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Zoey's EXCEED side supposed to have a missing foil on the card? There is a white spot with no foil near her hair in the left side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
RayLancer wrote:
Is Zoey's EXCEED side supposed to have a missing foil on the card? There is a white spot with no foil near her hair in the left side.

Mine is also like that, though the picture I took doesn't make it look as clear cut as yours.

There's also what looks to be missing foiling around some areas of her head in addition to that more noticeable streak on the twin tail. Maybe this picture didn't take that well to their foiling method?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.