Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Kozlowski
United States
Hebron
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is the Troglodyte add on worth it? It seems like you get more than enough Troglodytes to play with in your base pledge, as many figures as you get with the Ratlings (who do not have an add on). Plus, if you get the Troglodyte add on you will have an extra Minotaur which seems like something you don't need.

So, what are your thoughts on this add on? Skip or buy, and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Definite skip. No new content, and doubles aren't going to be worth much this game, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't yet see a reason for doubles outside of wanting to troopbuild for a wargame or RPG game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
It is definitely an odd thing to add, perhaps driven by demand in the comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting a second box purely because I'm getting 2 pledges.

Mostly for:
-extra dice
-extra tiles
-spare roamers to keep in storage in case any break over the next few years
-extra set of plastic chests/pillars
-extra trog box
-second set of all class sheet pads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to skip. The more mobs you bring into the game, the fewer roaming monsters show up (because of the deck composition). The Roamers look to be the most interesting foes in the game, so I don't want to add more mobs to get in the way of them showing up.

In fact, I expect that most of my game sessions will not include all the mobs that I will have for this very reason. The more Trogs you have, the harder it will be to deplete them, and the fewer Roamers that will show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Digimortal wrote:
It is definitely an odd thing to add, perhaps driven by demand in the comments?

I don't think this is the case. The Trogs were a SG, so they will not be in the normal retail core box. I think they just threw them in there as an add-on because they were already planning this package for retail later. So offer it as an add-on now, because why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I could see to have a second set of any of the mobs would be to have more of a theme dungeon. Have more Trogs (rats, lizards) and fewer of the other mobs. I'm actually curious if anyone is planning on getting more than one of the rats or lizards add-on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can afford it, I'll definitely spring for more than one rat box. I was a Skaven player in Warhammer Fantasy, and I developed an involuntary compulsion to collect rat miniatures as a result

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kozlowski
United States
Hebron
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I'm pretty sure that the only add on's with KS exclusive content is the dice set and BP crossover right? So I choose to wait on the rest of the add on's until retail I won't miss any exclusive stuff correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
Xookliba wrote:
I plan to skip. The more mobs you bring into the game, the fewer roaming monsters show up (because of the deck composition). The Roamers look to be the most interesting foes in the game, so I don't want to add more mobs to get in the way of them showing up.

In fact, I expect that most of my game sessions will not include all the mobs that I will have for this very reason. The more Trogs you have, the harder it will be to deplete them, and the fewer Roamers that will show up.

Hopefully they see the issue here and switch to a different mechanic for spawning the RMs.

I could see using a threat dial or something; each time you kill a Boss, roll one of the MD dice, scoring a particular (high probability) result would increase the threat dial by one notch. Hit 5 notches or something, and then you spawn one.

In this way you would see when you're getting close to spawning one, and you could even color code the dial, and/or lace it with symbols, so that it would dictate the exact zone an RM spawns in, or other game effects that might take place when this particular RM spawns (all of which could be planned for and would add to the suspense by being able to keep an eye on the position of the dial).

I'm sure there must be a bunch of other ways to do it too. On the surface, having it tied to sculpts/enemy type seems like a mistake.

Edit: Just found out that they have spawn cards too.

I was just about to point that out. The Roamers have their own spawn cards. Want more Roamers, just add in more of their actual spawn cards. I think the "spawn a roamer if you can't place a mob" rule is similar to the Zombicide method of "if you can't fill a spawn cards results, give all of that type of zombie an extra activation".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is the saving grace there.

I think I'm going to try a "slaughterfield mode" type game where you have only Roamers in the spawn deck and heroes start stacked with as many abilities and items as they can have. See how long you survive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koz1120 wrote:
Also, I'm pretty sure that the only add on's with KS exclusive content is the dice set and BP crossover right? So I choose to wait on the rest of the add on's until retail I won't miss any exclusive stuff correct?

Yes, this is correct. Unless for some reason they decide not to offer some of those regular add-ons at retail, but I can't imagine that happening. It looks like they always have done in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
The only reason I could see to have a second set of any of the mobs would be to have more of a theme dungeon. Have more Trogs (rats, lizards) and fewer of the other mobs. I'm actually curious if anyone is planning on getting more than one of the rats or lizards add-on.

I'm going to be buying at least 2 of everything. This will allow me to mix things up from time to time. I might play some games that are roamer heavy, while other times it might be fun to play more mob heavy games where the enemies are themed. I might even get 3 of some sets I really like (and also army build with them...).

As well as allowing different types of games, having at least 2 sets will also allow people to pick the same heroes. I know you can technically do this anyways since you get multiple class sheets and can print anything extra you need, but you would still have to use a fill in character if two people wanted to be Bjorn (for instance). I think having 2 or more of the same hero on a map at a time might be a lot of fun. Heck, you could even make up your own rules and have one serve as a "shadow" enemy.

Xookliba wrote:
Koz1120 wrote:

Yes, this is correct. Unless for some reason they decide not to offer some of those regular add-ons at retail, but I can't imagine that happening. It looks like they always have done in the past.

Honestly, this has me slightly worried. I noticed several of the add-ons specifically mention they will be available later on at retail while some make no such mention. I am guessing this is just an oversight though because how could they NOT make sets like the Ratlings and Reptisaurians available later at retail?! Plus there are only 6 heroes in the base set. If you don't back the KS then your only other way to get them is in an add-on. Surely CMoN will want to capitalize on this.

The ONLY add-ons I could see not being available later on would be some of the purely cosmetic things like the plastic tokens and extra pillars/chests. If that were the case though, surely they would be listed as a KS exclusive too...? At least I really hope that is the case because I plan on buying a lot of the add-ons later once they hit retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.