Subject: Solo Mode Opinions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably wont get this game to the table with a group for a while. I'm wondering if anyone would like to share their opinion of playing the 1 player mode, especially in comparison to the 2+ player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I solo game more often than anything else, it's just hard to get a group together. The Automa works extremely well to have an engaging opponent that expands and attacks you. It is easy to follow and quite smart even though you are following cards rather than a physical opponent.

I will also say it works VERY well as an AI player in a 2 or 3 player game as well. It states in the rulebook you are able to do so. It's nice to have the extra player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo is excellent.

I suggest a learning game starting with the Autometta, especially if you haven't played Scythe at all (tabletopia).

Learning the solo is actually more difficult than learning the game imo, but after your first game, you'll likely never even need to refer to the rulebook again. Solo games will also go very quickly after that first one. It all makes quite a bit of sense.

One thing to watch out for: the faction with the horse icon has a different horse icon on the Automa cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Wilson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played once with the Autometta and once with 4 players, and I'll say they're different experiences, but both quite satisfying. I've left a solo game set up at home for play with the Automa when I get off work tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olaph wrote:
I've played once with the Autometta and once with 4 players, and I'll say they're different experiences, but both quite satisfying. I've left a solo game set up at home for play with the Automa when I get off work tonight.

I wish I could have games setup to play when I get home from work. Pretty sure my cats would play, and not by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JE SUIS VENU. J'AI VU. JE SUIS PARTI.
msg tools
badge
I'm impressed by the solo system. It's robust, and challenging, but there is relatively little overhead and management once you get the hang of it. Very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
im hoping someone who does a lot of solo gameplay in the community. Like Doug or Ricky picks up this game and does a solo walk through. Because it's learning curve trumps the game tenfold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Dark63 wrote:
Because it's learning curve trumps the game tenfold.

That was not my experience. Try using the cards that explain the top automa actions every time you pull a card, it really helped me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still waiting for my copy to arrive so haven't played it yet.
But I can tell you that the solo mode was developed by a team of dedicated solo players led by Morten Pedersen (behind the Automa system), which should be a guarantee of quality on its own. While it does not mean you will enjoy playing solo, this meant I was confident enough to invest in this game with the intent of playing almost exclusively solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
It helped me to play a solo learning game controlling two sides, to learn the rules and systems. Then I read the solo rules and jumped into an Automa game, and it was relatively seamless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo is neat and cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
lucasbrooks wrote:
Dark63 wrote:

That was not my experience. Try using the cards that explain the top automa actions every time you pull a card, it really helped me.

I'll give that a shot.

I think I was really discouraged by the automata rulebook, as I was able to learn Scythe and teach it within incredibly short time frame.

With automata however, I simply can't penetrate the rules. The nuances of the movement and variations on "neighbourhood" for positioning, I know I'll come off really dense saying this, but I can't understand it, possibly English as second language talking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:
I think I was really discouraged by the automata rulebook, as I was able to learn Scythe and teach it within incredibly short time frame.

With automata however, I simply can't penetrate the rules. The nuances of the movement and variations on "neighbourhood" for positioning, I know I'll come off really dense saying this, but I can't understand it, possibly English as second language talking.

You're not the only one. Several of the playtesters had the experience that there was an initial learning curve, but after overcoming that the rules became easy and fast to apply.

Other people grokked the rules the first time around. What the difference was between the two groups, I don't know, but given that sevaral playtester reported an initial learning curve, I can definitely say that you're not being dense.

If you have any rule questions, then just post it in a thread on the Scythe subforum here on BGG and we'll do our best to clear them up - though summer vacations and intermittent internet access might make it take longer than normal for us to reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Chov
China
BEIJING
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hardly ever game solo, but tried the autometta today and had a good time. I read thru the rules first, am familiar with multiplayer Scythe, and it went quite well, finishing in around 75 minutes.

I won, several stars ahead of the autometta, but only around 8 coins ahead. I'd be very happy to play it several more times, and am really interested in adding it as an AI to our 2p games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the kind words everyone. I'm very happy that our work has given you a good gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Dark63 wrote:
lucasbrooks wrote:
Dark63 wrote:

I'll give that a shot.

I think it will help a lot to use the cards. My technique is to pull the Automa card, then place the corresponding reference card behind it. Then I reveal each step on the reference card by sliding it up. It helps keep everything flowing well. The neighborhoods concept was a little tricky at first, but it does start to make sense after a little while, once you see how the AI is acting, and the goals it is trying to achieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo mode is quite excellent. Having played several games with 3-players plus a few solo games, I can attest that the solo game is very similar to playing a human opponent. I have also played several games against two automa factions, which is fast becoming my favourite way to play solo. You can print an extra Automa deck from the files here:

https://app.box.com/s/88t3dscldkktpsztz6sbi3jkvwetowjk

It is not really any harder to operate two Automas than it is to operate one, and the added strategy and excitement on the board is well worth it! I highly recommend it to any solo players out there.

You can read my session reports about playing against 2 Automas here:

The Reverend Takes on Two Automas at the Same Time - A Solo Session Report
The Rusviet Reverend Takes on Crimea and Polania - Another 2 Automa Solo Session
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Lakeland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I covered my solo experiences in a recent review. If that would help at all, here's the link: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1604234/properly-wielding-sc...

In short, I thoroughly enjoy solo. It's very well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Automa is great! I'm really impressed with how they were able to accomplish fairly complex tasks with a very elegant ruleset. It's seamless. I'm really interested in trying to Automas; I'm hoping to find someone to sell me their Automa decks. I don't have a printer to do the PnP.

And for anyone who thinks the rules are challenging, give solo Cuba Libre a try. Geez! There are five flow charts you use to run the bots along with a ruleset!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
I don't have a printer to do the PnP.

It is only 5 pages if you print 4 cards to a page. You can do this pretty cheap at a fedex or staples or other on demand printing place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
The Automa is great! I'm really impressed with how they were able to accomplish fairly complex tasks with a very elegant ruleset. It's seamless. I'm really interested in trying to Automas; I'm hoping to find someone to sell me their Automa decks. I don't have a printer to do the PnP.

And for anyone who thinks the rules are challenging, give solo Cuba Libre a try. Geez! There are five flow charts you use to run the bots along with a ruleset!

Thank you, I'm happy that you like it. We spend a lot of time trying to streamline the system as much as we could without removing the core game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Boyd
United Kingdom
Newtownards
County Down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Automa sounds very clever but after reading the rules my brain hurt! I'm definitely going to give it a go though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JakersNI wrote:
The Automa sounds very clever but after reading the rules my brain hurt! I'm definitely going to give it a go though.

Just use some general principles for movement:

Always pull from as close to home base as possible

Workers like to move as close to as many other friendly units as possible without being close to the enemy.

Mechs/Character like to be as close to the enemy as possible.

For any gray areas, everybody likes to be as close to the Factory as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I read somewhere that eventually you would be able to buy additional AI decks. Am I making that up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gatorskin wrote:
I feel like I read somewhere that eventually you would be able to buy additional AI decks. Am I making that up?

I believe extra decks will go on sale, hopefully by September. I don't know how much stock is available but I am hoping to get 2 of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.