Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Shawsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I painted lead figures over 20 years ago, and was thinking about getting into it again. But I've never painted plastic figures. Can you paint these the same way?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Fistful of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely.

Check out Zombicide Black Plague - you'll see loads of people have posted pictures of painted minis - it inspired me to dust off my brushes too

(I'm assuming MD will use the same plastic as Z:BP, can't see any reason why they wouldn't)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wash with soap the miniatures, then use a black or white coating, and you can fully paint them. I painted hundreds (thousands?) of miniatures when I played games workshop's games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska Incident
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Certainly other CMON games are good quality plastic and paint up very well. See Blood Rage for details

The biggest lure of this game is the minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually no, the plastic is in a liquid state right now and therefore paint cannot adhere to it's surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I keep hearing lack of game play and all about the miniatures...and yes at $120 price point one expects top notch components...but, I think people would invest in the game if it were standees or meeples if the price was $30-$35...it's just a relatively straight forward hack and slash dungeon crawl with some upgrades and story/campaign...I prefer eurostyle medium to medium heavy games, but once in a while I like to take a break for something light and fun...Zombicide fills that, and Massive Darkness will certainly be a step or two beyond that in complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
I painted lead figures over 20 years ago, and was thinking about getting into it again. But I've never painted plastic figures. Can you paint these the same way?

Back then, plastic miniatures were not great but you may remember that they did exist. For example, Games Workshop miniatures were all metal for figures but the vehicles were plastic.

Plastic miniatures now are night and day to what they were then. They are now the industry standard over metal. Even Games Workshop figures are all plastic now.

They work well for painting. Priming is important, but it always was and spray primers are very high quality these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Law
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I've painted plenty of CMoN miniatures. There are plenty of guides online, so I won't bother duplicating that work here.

When this campaign first began I read numerous comparisons between Massive Darkness and other games. The new version of Warhammer Quest was released at the beginning of the Massive Darkness campaign and drew many comparisons. In almost every thread I read people suggested that Warhammer Quest Miniatures, while fewer in number, would be much better to paint than these miniatures. Something about that sentiment struck me as wrong, but until I actually looked at the Warhammer Quest box, I couldn't really figure it out.

In my opinion, these miniatures will be much, much better to pain that Warhammer Quest miniatures. I looked at the complexity and level of detail and immediately knew that, were I to paint them, the Warhammer Quest miniatures would not look very good. Given my painting skills, they would likely be a mess. And I would labor over them for weeks or months. On the other hand, I have found that CMoN miniatures take blocking colors and washing very well. I can get a reasonably nice paint job in a short time with a few simple techniques. And they come preassembled, as well. As a matter of fact, Massive Darkness reminds me a lot more of the Warhammer Quest that I owned back then than Games Workshop's latest effort. IIRC, my old WHQ miniatures were also plastic and came as single pieces that merely needed to be glued to a slottabase. And they were relatively simple to pain, as well.

TL;DR. Yes these miniatures are not only good to paint, but probably ideal for someone like you, who hasn't painted in a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Cerra
United States
Ames
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the softer plastic, I recommend Army Painter primer.
Others say Krylon/Walmart Whatever Brands work, though, I haven't tried them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swr66 wrote:
I keep hearing lack of game play and all about the miniatures...and yes at $120 price point one expects top notch components...but, I think people would invest in the game if it were standees or meeples if the price was $30-$35...it's just a relatively straight forward hack and slash dungeon crawl with some upgrades and story/campaign...I prefer eurostyle medium to medium heavy games, but once in a while I like to take a break for something light and fun...Zombicide fills that, and Massive Darkness will certainly be a step or two beyond that in complexity.

They have and its called Super Fantasy: Ugly Snouts Assault but it cost more than $30 retail. Friends its no longer 1996, prices have gone up in the last twenty plus years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
For example, Games Workshop miniatures were all metal for figures ...

That is not quite true.

Even 25 years ago, while the majority was metal still, GW had several plastic figures in its line.

You can see some of it here:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/
http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S.
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlaw008 wrote:
I've painted plenty of CMoN miniatures.

In my opinion, these miniatures will be much, much better to pain that Warhammer Quest miniatures. I looked at the complexity and level of detail and immediately knew that, were I to paint them, the Warhammer Quest miniatures would not look very good. Given my painting skills, they would likely be a mess. And I would labor over them for weeks or months. On the other hand, I have found that CMoN miniatures take blocking colors and washing very well.

For what its worth my experience is the same. I've been painting Rum & Bones minis for a couple months now and still love them. I tend to get "bored" if I'm stuck painting intricate detail on a mini for weeks on end. These CmoN sculpts fit my bill. And yes, Army Painter primer works great on this plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan K.

Bochum
Germany
msg tools
Indeed those Cmon figures are excellent to paint. During the last months I've been working on figures from season 01 and Black Plague:

They are really good figures. Of course there are some better ones in historical ranges but they are far better than any other board game figures I know. The plastic is very durable and takes Vallejo primer very well. Only removing the few mold lines is more work than from hard plastic figures.

The zombies come out very nice with simple technique like using inks, washes or dry brushing. Some samples are on my blog: Here

Please feel free to leave any feedback or send me questions about my humble work.

Cheers
Stefan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dlaw008 wrote:
And I would labor over them for weeks or months.

Yeah, that's one thing that pics of mini's don't tell you. The pic may look fantastic (eg. Stefan's but if the mini takes more than a week to paint, the base game alone will take over a *year* before it hits the table.

CMON drops up to 150 mini's on your doorstep per KS in two waves. And it's not going to be your only KS. I have so many survivors, I don't even have time to customize their bases. (Might glue some printies, though.) I can paint a miniature in three days, but that means if I back more than *one* CMON KS, I'm a year behind in my painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Lehmann
msg tools
They can... as easily and fun to paint as the Zombicide minis.

Follow the preperation steps (I guess not much different from metal minis):

1. cleanse from production leftovers ( I used a soap water bath and toothbrush followed by ultrasonic bath)
2. hot/cold water bath to correct bend parts
3. priming ( I used uniform grey army painter )

and within 20-30 mins I was good to go.

The first orc prototype...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.