Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game, love the components.

I was disappointed to see a D4 die in the box. I find rolling the four sided dice unsatisfactory since it just hits the table with no bounce or roll. Also, this tiny thing looked cheap leading me to have no confidence that the die rolls will be completely random.

I was tempted to buy a decent sized D8 and use that, but first my curiosity got me to pour a glass of wine, sit out on the porch and do an experiment.

Purpose:

Determine if the D4 provided in Polis: Fight for Hegemony is suitable for game use.

Methodology:

Roll the die 250 times using a dice cup and dice box, recording the results. Calculate the percentage each number came up. Examine the results to determine if there is an even distribution.

note: make sure it rolls around sufficiently in the cup before throwing the die.

Equipment:

A dice cup, a game of Shut the Box to use as a dice tray, pencil. paper. wineglass. wine. calculator.

Observations and Calculations:

1 rolled 72/250 (28.8%)
2 rolled 61/250 (24.4%)
3 rolled 68/250 (27.2%)
4 rolled 49/250 (19.6%)

Recommendations:

1)My Statistics and Probability textbooks are long ago thrown out. If anyone wishes to comment below regarding sample size of 250 is adequate or if the results fall within standard deviation, please do.

2)The die did not often roll once leaving the dice cup. A truly random roll requires using the cup to bounce the die around.

Conclusions:

1)I suspect the die is quite random if you throw it right (a bit like dice at the craps table it HAS to bounce in the cup.) The fact that it does not easily roll suggests to me that the bias other dice have because they CAN roll more easily (such as a cheap D6) is not present in even a cheap D4

2) I do not feel I have demonstrated that this D4 is completely random.

3) Close enough for game purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is the included D4 die completely random?
TomAquin wrote:
Observations and Calculations:

1 rolled 72/250 (28.8%)
2 rolled 61/250 (24.4%)
3 rolled 68/250 (27.2%)
4 rolled 49/250 (19.6%)

The chi-square statistic is 4.88 with 3 degrees of freedom. This is not high enough to be considered a statistically significant deviation from uniform. You would need more data to confirm the die is biased, if it is.

Since the orientation of the die when coming out of the cup is basically random, it doesn't matter whether it rolls or not. If it had a bias (e.g., the center of gravity is closer to one side) that bias would affect a d4 just the same as a d6 or d20. In fact, it might affect the d6 or d20 more than the d4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
If the rolling is of any issue, you could always use a D8 or a D12, available in any well-sorted game store (I reckon). I know exactly what you mean, but I actually like the D4 due to its weird shape, and I usually throw it hard on the table (without dice cup) so that it bounces. That makes it hard to control where it lands, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
The chi-square statistic is 4.88 with 3 degrees of freedom. This is not high enough to be considered a statistically significant deviation from uniform. You would need more data to confirm the die is biased, if it is.

Thanks for this analysis, David.

ps - I could get more data, but I ran out of wine. Good 'research' is so expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, Tom! As a fellow Londoner (and recent convert to the cult of Polis), please feel free to drop me a geekmail if you want to have a game of Polis...with whatever die you choose!

Also, I sneaked a peek at your profile, and I see you're looking for a local game group. I belong to one....which usually only has two people during the summer months! We'd love to have you join us. Send a geekmail about that, too, if you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments, Dumon. I agree.

Dumon wrote:
If the rolling is of any issue, you could always use a D8 or a D12, available in any well-sorted game store (I reckon). I know exactly what you mean, but I actually like the D4 due to its weird shape, and I usually throw it hard on the table (without dice cup) so that it bounces. That makes it hard to control where it lands, though...

Throwing hard, convincing your opponent to also do so, arguing whether rolls that land under the table or bounce off walls are valid, explaining to your wife how her heirloom vase got broken, yelling at the dog not to eat the die that just landed in his food dish.....I may take your advice and get a D12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, you would miss out on a whole lotta adventure and fun, it seems!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Day
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend the "Triple 4"

http://www.doublesixdice.com/collections/triplefours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
I recommend 2d10, if you don't like the 1d4.

Thanks for the suggestion. Please expand on how to use these for this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AGRAYDAY wrote:

Those would work nicely. Is anyone aware of anything like that available in FLGS's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
AGRAYDAY wrote:

I've added one of these to my copy of Polis. I really like the way it rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregorio Morales
Spain
Alicante
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomAquin wrote:
b a n j o wrote:
I recommend 2d10, if you don't like the 1d4.

Thanks for the suggestion. Please expand on how to use these for this game?

1 out of 4 it's the same as 25 out of 100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy precision dice to get higher quality dice in terms of production tolerances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.