Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looking for a way to deal with the heroes in my current campaign.

Logan
Monk / Apothecary
Sunstone, Star of Kellos, Dire Flail, Smoking Vials

Trenlo
Marshal
Aurium Mail, Mace of Aver

Shiver
Runemaster

Vyrah
Bounty Hunter

It appears that awareness of Trenlo and the willpower of the rest of the group is their only weakness. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Considering the Monk isn't even out yet I'm not sure what you want people to say here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Taear wrote:
Considering the Monk isn't even out yet I'm not sure what you want people to say here!

Well... actually all information about the Monk class is out there.
Hybrid classes feature only 4 Class cards, end they are all visible in this article: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/5/11/the-cha...

That said, I beg the OP to elaborate a bit about the question he posted.
Why do you think that the specifically the Monk class is overpowered? (Maybe your problems lie in the fact that Logan is a Tier 1 hero).

Also, if willpower is the party's weakest attribute, then the Overlord's Shadowmancer class (Shadows of Nerekhall), Barghests, Dark Priests, Arachyura are your best friends. Furthermore, Changelings and Crypt Dragons may lower heroes' willpower, thus enhancing your Orverlord cards and monster selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Taear wrote:

Well... actually all information about the Monk class is out there.
Hybrid classes feature only 4 Class cards, and they are all visible in this article: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/5/11/the-cha...

That said, I beg the OP to elaborate a bit about the question he posted.
Why do you think that the specifically the Monk class is overpowered? (Maybe your problems lie in the fact that Logan is a Tier 1 hero).

Also, if Willpower is the party's weakest attribute, then the Overlord's Shadowmancer class (Shadows of Nerekhall), Barghests, Dark Priests, Arachyura are your best friend.

I didn't realise there were only 4 (I now notice that it does mention that in the article). So that means a hybrid class only has a single 3XP power.

But it never occurred to me people would play with it from just the preview when they don't have the proper cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry, I dont remember all items, but aside Marshal, the other heroes dont have a good way to recover stamina, no ?

If correctly, try to drain out the stamina or lockdown the recovery. Barguests and dark priests, as Erik said, can really shine here.

Shades (the new version), ferrox or other monsters with stamina drain can be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Logan starting with the smoking vials seems to be the big issue. With vyrah producing extra range and and Logan on three dice plus extra surge, he always gets +3 damage. I got imploding rift, but my monsters get shot down before I get my turn if they spawn a tile away. Thanks for all the advice btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
InfinityBlack14 wrote:
Logan starting with the smoking vials seems to be the big issue. With vyrah producing extra range and and Logan on three dice plus extra surge, he always gets +3 damage. I got imploding rift, but my monsters get shot down before I get my turn if they spawn a tile away. Thanks for all the advice btw.

From what you are explaining us here, the problem seems more tied to the load of items (Star of Kellos, Smoking Vials, Sun Stone) that to Logan himself (which only adds 1 movement point every attack).

Thus, I don't get in what aspect a Healer archetype hero (which doesn't need the Monk class) would perform worse.
Brother Gerrin with the same equipment may even do more damage.
Okaluk and Rakash are even more mobile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
logan does get the free attack on his feat. He's constantly moving. I think i'll focus on slowing trenloe and stamina draining for the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wyatt dumas
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Seems to me that monk/apothecary could be played to even more devastating effect regardless of which hero the player chooses:
-1xp Concoction
-1xp Inky Substance
-2xp Open Handed
-2xp Secret Formula

That could be 7 damage with pierce 7 at it's best, averaging 4.5 hearts in theory.

Or defensively a monk/disciple could be a pretty unstoppable self-healing tank:
-Free Wooden Shield
-Free Prayer of Healing
-1xp Armor of Faith
-3xp Vow of Freedom

As long as they use prayer of healing on themselves they're averaging 3.5 shields with standard deviation of about 1 and 1 extra shield once per round from the Wooden Shield. That's better than any warrior can get with just their class cards: average 2 or 2.8 if they're nanok... of course warriors have other tanking utility.

Also seems like Jain(tank), Tatianna(tank), Tetherys(damage), and Tomble(Tank) would make some pretty incredible monks.

These two builds seem borderline game-breaking to me. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how those are game breaking at all.

Okay you can do a lot of damage with your bare hands after you spend 6 XP. Presumably you are in Act II by then, so your competition might be a Beserker with a Grinding Axe, Weapon Mastery (2xp) and Execute (3xp). Maximum damage if you rage and spend 1 fatigue on Rage and 2 Execute (same total of 3 needed for inky substance + conction + secret formula) is 8 from dice + 1 from rage + 2 from execute + 6 from surge abilities is 18.

Assuming you get 2 surges (high likelihood with weapon mastery), average will be ~13, I think.

Even with an Act I item like the Bearded Axe, you are talking max 8/avg 5 damage with pierce 3 with a good possibility of another 2 depending on the defense roll.

On the disciple, you're not going to want to use prayer of healing on yourself all the time, especially if you are the tank. Other people are going to be taking damage and you'll need to heal them. Moreover the Overlord will simply avoid targeting you if you are all tanked up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wyatt dumas
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reasonability check, I appreciated your writeup on the Berserker!

I guess I got excited because the Monk could potentially then get to make a second similar bonus attack on another monster, and by all that pierce.

Less personally concerned with an OL player because we only play co-op now, but what you said is definitely true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Dreas
United States
New York
flag msg tools
anyone have thoughts on a Monk/Prophet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charmy 004
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Monk/Prophet is not really good.

Prophet really needs Focused Insights to be any good as a healer. It is probably one of his most essential skills. Giving that up means he is pretty lacking compared to other combinations.

I think its likewise for Disciple - Holy Power and Radiant Light are tough to give up.

The other 3 healers are less dependent on their 3-exp skills and are better choices for Monk, imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.