Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willow Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Long story short, I really, really want to like AWAW, Bruce has come up with a comprehensive system, but the rulebook is "schizophrenic" for lack of a better word, with exceptions and procedures all over the place.

Saw GS was coming out and while I realise that it's not exactly AWAW-lite, there's a few mechanics that cross over that might help to reinforce things, plus the whole idea of a lead-in game really got me interested (much like Days of Decision, if I can ever find a copy).

Unfortunately the rules seem to follow the same model:

I've been through the EoP on the official page, as well as Gary's comprehensive posts, and I think I *might* have enough to go on, so I'm stumbling through a solo game to see if I can get my head around it.

Spring '35 then:

Draw a 3 for the Spanish CW, that escalated quickly.
Public card was +1 GER in Rumania, +1 FRA in Russia. -2 Econ, USSR card was public (-1 income) and purge was party (+1 purge, no reearch or diplo.)

Income:
Ger draw 3, 10+0+0+3-2+0-2 = 9
Ita draw 3, 4+0+0+3-1+0-0 = 6
Gbr draw 3, 8+0+0+3-2+0-0 = 9
Fra draw 1, 4+0+2+1-1+0-1 = 3
Rus draw 2, 10-1+0+2-0-1-5 = 5

Industrial:
Gbr plays event card (+2 support) to give 11 tiles, pays 10 for idle-civ conversion. Acquires new research tile. No-one else can afford factory actions.

Research:
Axis - Ger in Ecn. Prep and Occupation, plus a 2 activity tile (costs 2, points in armor and espionage), Ita point in Ita BB design, one activity point in light ships. Int point in counter int.

Allies - Gbr in BB design and Eco prep, Fra in Maginot, Int in counter int

USSR - None allowed due to party purge.

Construction:
Axis: Ger and Ita both build 1 armor each (BoP +2), at a cost of 2 each.

Allies: No Builds

USSR: builds AAF and INF to rebalance garrison and give an extra unit(4 cost).

Ships: Axis: Ger lays down BC3 for 2 cost (due to +1 EAI).

Allies: No activity.

Diplo:

Axis: Anti-Com (1) in Turkey, Ita and Ger both have support -1 due to cards, so no military intervention possible even though they have BoP. Ita places 2 in Albania, Ger places 1 in Finland.

Allies: Gbr places 1 in Eire, France reveals +2 support card and places 2 in Poland, 2 in Rhineland.

No Soviet diplomacy allowed, no Axis response.

Results: Eire 0 -> 1 UK, Rhine 2 -> 1 Ger, Pol 1 -> 2 Fra, Albania 1 -> 2 Ita, Turkey 0->1 Ger, Fin 1->2 Ger, Rumania 1->2 Ger (random), 1 Fra in USSR (Random).

No Crisis Events.

Ger, Fra and USSR have 1 tile point each left, others have 0.

By no means is this intended to be optimal in any way, shape or form, I just tried to do a bit of everything to try out all the rules, though it looks like the UK are going for the long game (research) France have neutered the others diplomatically and Russia took a pounding.

One thing I have struggled with is the research charts: Are the initial results (German Airborne etc.) marked off in advance? (My gut says no) and are the "levels" every two spaces only there for AWAW, and it's the multiple of 6 results that actually have an effect in GS?

Got hold of Warplanner and the old 3R/A3R rules, not sure if it'll help trying them before going back into AWAW or if it's a waste of time.

tl;dr - Did I goof up?

Cheers.
(Are levels AWAW only?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
deathninja wrote:
...purge was party (+1 purge, no reearch or diplo.)

The Party Purge card requires Russia to incur one of either the research or diplomacy purge effect, so it can choose to do research or diplomacy in the turn but not both.

Rule: 22.21B

deathninja wrote:
Income:
Fra draw 1, 4+0+2+1-1+0-1 = 3

This total should be 5. Math is hard!

deathninja wrote:

Research:
Axis - Ger in Ecn. Prep and Occupation, plus a 2 activity tile (costs 2, points in armor and espionage), Ita point in Ita BB design, one activity point in light ships. Int point in counter int.

These are good, though I think the assignment for the Axis advanced point (which can go to Jets, Rockets or Advanced Subs) is missing.

Rule: 15.21A

deathninja wrote:
USSR - None allowed due to party purge.

If USSR takes the research purge effect, it loses its free intelligence point and the ability to assign ACs for supplementary research points. However, it can still allocate its basic research point to a project.

Rule: 15.21C, 22.21B

deathninja wrote:
Construction:
Axis: Ger and Ita both build 1 armor each (BoP +2), at a cost of 2 each.

ACs totalling a value of two need to be assigned by the constructing major power for each constructed unit. Also, the Axis advantage in the armor BOP category only increases by one, as the unit counter surplus is 3, i.e. 1-2 units: +1, 3-5 units: +2, 6+ units: +3.

Rule: 20.51

deathninja wrote:
USSR: builds AAF and INF to rebalance garrison and give an extra unit(4 cost).

Based on the random event and purge card draw description above, no Russian units appears to have been purged so Russia's Garrison should still be at parity. While it is still required to build a unit because of its overall negative support level, one unit build is sufficient to meet the rule. This will bring the Garrison into a surplus state of one unit, and net Russia a corresponding +1 support level modifier (though this does not provide Russia with an additional tile point, unlike other support level increases).

Russia also needs to assign ACs for any unit builds.

*Edit: Apologies -- I had overlooked the +1 EAI level in my reply. The EAI level of +1 adds a counter to Russia's Garrison requirements, thereby leading the Garrison to be in a deficit state as you have correctly described.

However, the Garrison deficit takes effect at the start of the turn because of the +1 EAI. This means that Russia's support level is -2 during the Income Phase (i.e. -1 for low cohesion, and -1 for Garrison deficit of one unit counter), so Russia should start Spring 1935 with 4 tile points instead of 5.

Interestingly, the +1 EAI and pro-Axis BOP of +1 means that Russia's two unit builds were just sufficient to restore the Garrison to parity.

Rule: 18.11, 18.5

deathninja wrote:
Ships: Axis: Ger lays down BC3 for 2 cost (due to +1 EAI).

Germany has to assign ACs with a total value of two for this action. The shipbuilding AC1 can be used for this, so Germany only needs to assign one more AC1.

deathninja wrote:
Diplo:

Axis: Anti-Com (1) in Turkey, Ita and Ger both have support -1 due to cards, so no military intervention possible even though they have BoP. Ita places 2 in Albania, Ger places 1 in Finland.

Germany cannot use its military counter ("MC") despite the pro-Axis BOP advantage because it also requires a positive support level of at least one. If it has a positive support level, Germany could use its remaining tile point to deploy the MC.

Rule: 24.43

deathninja wrote:
No Soviet diplomacy allowed, no Axis response.

As mentioned above, Russia can either take the research or diplomatic purge effect so it can choose to engage in one of the two activities, not both.

deathninja wrote:
Results: Eire 0 -> 1 UK, Rhine 2 -> 1 Ger, Pol 1 -> 2 Fra, Albania 1 -> 2 Ita, Turkey 0->1 Ger, Fin 1->2 Ger, Rumania 1->2 Ger (random), 1 Fra in USSR (Random).

The French flag in Russia gives France a +1 support level modifier and an additional tile point, while Russia incurs a -1 support level modifier and loses a tile point.

Rule: 10.8D, 10.91F

deathninja wrote:
Ger, Fra and USSR have 1 tile point each left, others have 0.

France should have 4 tile points left, due to the math error as described earlier and the additional tile point for its +1 support level modifier from its flag in Russia.

Based on the above, Russia will end up with a tile point deficit of one, i.e. 4 tile point income - 4 for unit build - 1 for French flag in Russia. This means that Russia will incur a -1 support level modifier in Summer 1935.

Rule: 10.41C

deathninja wrote:
One thing I have struggled with is the research charts: Are the initial results (German Airborne etc.) marked off in advance? (My gut says no) and are the "levels" every two spaces only there for AWAW, and it's the multiple of 6 results that actually have an effect in GS?

Initial results are not marked on the research sheet -- you start GS with the research sheets as they are. All research results that have been attained prior to the start of GS are already reflected on the BOP sheets in the form of the starting BOP counters.

A "level" of research is equivalent to two steps. The intermediate results are only for AWAW, so you need only be concerned with steps that either have "result" or an icon printed in their cells if you are playing GS as a stand-alone game. As you gain experience with GS though, this should not stop you from playing GS as a standalone game but with the mentality that the game will flow into AWAW, which will have an impact on your decisions.

Some research projects only yield one result, e.g. Air Transport, Air Defence. These require 10 steps of research, but yield two BOP counters once a result is achieved.

Rule: 16.11

deathninja wrote:
Got hold of Warplanner and the old 3R/A3R rules, not sure if it'll help trying them before going back into AWAW or if it's a waste of time.

Keep Warplanner -- Warplanner is useful to visualize the game and rules in motion.

Put aside the 3R/A3R rules -- there are differences between AWAW and the latter games, so relying on the latter will potentially confuse you.

deathninja wrote:
(Are levels AWAW only?)

What is this query about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willow Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gary, I'll do a quick RetCon:

- France starts with *ahem* 5 tiles (No joke I just got my Math BSc about 20 minutes ago, so it shouldn't happen again whistle) As normal the rest of their turn, only they pick up another tile for +1 support due to Russia post-diplomacy, left with 4 tiles.

- Britain left as-is.

- Italy left as-is.

- Germany used its adv. point on adv. subs (had done this, just forgot to write it here).

- Russia: Starts with 4 tiles, built 2 units, forfeits diplomacy, used basic research point for Econ. Prep and int point for espionage. Left with 0 tiles. French diplo result shifts -1 support, leading to deficit and hence another -1 support temporarily (I really wish there was a counter specificly marked for deficit support loss...)

Last query was tied into the research question, this writeup came from a mix of an in-progress blog post and various papers and post-its I scribbled on while playing, so a few things are disorganised.

The one real issue I'm having trouble keeping track of now is timings, as in when various modifiers are recalculated (would have been nice to have a SoP card in the box to the level that AWAW had).

Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
deathninja wrote:
I really wish there was a counter specificly marked for deficit support loss...)

There is one -- use the Russian -1 support level modifier counter which has a Russian flag on it, and place it on the "-1" box on Russia's support track.

deathninja wrote:
The one real issue I'm having trouble keeping track of now is timings, as in when various modifiers are recalculated (would have been nice to have a SoP card in the box to the level that AWAW had).

I typically do support level calculations before the start of each Phase. If support levels shift during a Phase, I will adjust them accordingly and implement the effect of the changes in the current Phase before the next Phase comes around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.