Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
“Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark.” ― George Iles
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading the original English rules over and over trying to understand but to no avail. I'd watch a video explaining how to play it but unfortunately, I'm hearing impaired and will not understand. English is also not my first language. I know how to read English but when it comes to reading manuals or guides, my mind goes blank. Even after reading the 'Overview' part a thousand times, I still do not understand what's the objective of this game. I'm embarrassed to say that I'm that bad at it. I was wondering there is another guide that is easier to understand and one that includes pictures. I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You asked about objective.

During the game you will collect points in six colours.

How you get those points is another subject. Here I'm just considering what points you want.

You obviously want more points. Points are never bad for winning.

But you want your points balanced. Same number of points in each colour is the best way you could share out your points. All in one colour would be worst.

You could play with just that information. Pick up points, make sure that they are balanced at the end of the game.

But you probably want more.

The key thing is, don't have a bad colour. If you only have two yellow, that being your worst colour, then your score is two. Mostly that's it.

Except if two of you have the same bad score. Perhaps I have five green, you have five blue.

Then we need to look at second worst colour. In that example I ignore my five green, you ignore your five blue. Then maybe I have eight red as my second worst colour, and you have seven green. Then I win because eight is better than seven.

If necessary we go on to third worst etc.

That's it. I'd it help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot I didn't understand that is why I was hoping for a step by step easier guide. I have read that it is easy to play but I am just finding it hard to understand how to play it. I still do not fully understand its objective yet but I think I will understand once I start to play. The problem is that I don't know how to begin playing it. Can you help please? Do you know of an easier guide with pictures please? I would really appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these reviews explain the rules well:
This game was given the perfect name. It really is Ingenious!
Ingenious: A couples review
[Review] Ingenious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the Ingenious app, it comes with a tutorial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly Knizia shutdown Marquand's implementation. I think it came with good instructions, and you could just play a tile and see how it highlights tiles and counts points to see how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Berthold Nüchter, I have read the reviews and I was able to understand a little bit better however I still had to resort to paying for the Ingenious app just to get the tutorial (thanks to Black Bart) and thank god, it has finally helped me fully understand. I have copied some parts of the tutorial and also made notes for myself after reading more threads related to Ingenious (I hope it helps other people like me who found the original rulebook to be a little bit too unclear):

Standard Game for 2-4 Players

In the first round, your tile must be placed touching one of the colored symbols which are part of the board. Each player must place the first tile at a different symbol. After that, the player is free to place them anywhere, even if the colors on the tile do not match the colors on the tiles already on the board. There isn’t a rule that says you must match colors except on the first round.

You score one point for every matching colored symbol that emanates in a straight line from the tile you place. Stop counting as soon as you come to an empty space or a different symbol. Do not count the two colored symbols on the tile you just played even if they happened to be of the same color. The points you score are then counted on your scoreboard.

After playing and scoring your tile, draw one tile from the bag to refresh your rack to 6 tiles.

If you reach 18 points in any color, call out “Ingenious” and you will get a bonus play. Sometimes you get more than one bonus play in a single turn but you are not allowed to refresh your hand back to 6 until you have completed all your bonus plays. You have to choose another tile from your rack, place it on the board and score it. Only then can you refresh your rack to 6 tiles.

You only get one bonus play per color because once a color reaches 18 points there is nothing left to score. If you reach 18 points in all colors, you immediately win the game.

The game ends when no more tiles can be played on the board. Each player’s lowest score creates the player’s result. i.e. whoever has the lowest score in one color loses. In case of a tie, the next lowest score will be compared and so on.

If you have completed your turn and you do not have any of the color(s) that is currently your weakest on your score board, show your tiles to the other players, put all tiles from your rack aside, refresh your rack with 6 new tiles from the bag and then return your old tiles to the bag. If by any chance, you still do not have the color(s) you’re looking for, you will have to wait for your next turn.

Solitaire Game for 1 Player

All standard game rules apply, with the following exceptions: Play with just one tile in your hand, place two score boards together and try to make the best score. There are two special rules:

1. If you reach 18 points in any color on the first score board, the current scoring of that color symbol stops there however the score marker is immediately moved to the starting symbol on the second score board.

2. There are no bonus plays in solitaire mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good. Just to make sure you're totally clear, a few clarifications:

1. Don't forget to apply the space restrictions for less than 4 players (you don't get to use the outer parts of the board with fewer players).

2. I've highlighted the word "anywhere" in the below because it really does mean anywhere - there's no requirement for adjacency to any other tile except for your first play. This can be important towards the end of the game when space is tight and you just want to shut it down.

nadigames93 wrote:
In the first round, your tile must be placed touching one of the colored symbols which are part of the board. Each player must place the first tile at a different symbol. After that, the player is free to place them anywhere, even if the colors on the tile do not match the colors on the tiles already on the board. There isn’t a rule that says you must match colors except on the first round.

3. I don't think there's a requirement that you match colours ever, even on your first play. In point of fact, it's possible, though very unlikely, that you could find yourself in a situation in which it's not possible for you to match a colour on your first play.

4. The below section isn't mandatory. You probably already know that, but it reads otherwise:

nadigames93 wrote:
If you have completed your turn and you do not have any of the color(s) that is currently your weakest on your score board, show your tiles to the other players, put all tiles from your rack aside, refresh your rack with 6 new tiles from the bag and then return your old tiles to the bag.

Apart from that, you're good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
Looks good. Just to make sure you're totally clear, a few clarifications:

1. Don't forget to apply the space restrictions for less than 4 players (you don't get to use the outer parts of the board with fewer players).

2. I've highlighted the word "anywhere" in the below because it really does mean anywhere - there's no requirement for adjacency to any other tile except for your first play. This can be important towards the end of the game when space is tight and you just want to shut it down.

nadigames93 wrote:

3. I don't think there's a requirement that you match colours ever, even on your first play. In point of fact, it's possible, though very unlikely, that you could find yourself in a situation in which it's not possible for you to match a colour on your first play.

4. The below section isn't mandatory. You probably already know that, but it reads otherwise:

nadigames93 wrote:
If you have completed your turn and you do not have any of the color(s) that is currently your weakest on your score board, show your tiles to the other players, put all tiles from your rack aside, refresh your rack with 6 new tiles from the bag and then return your old tiles to the bag.

Apart from that, you're good to go.

Thank you for the clarifications ! The first one about the space restrictions, I had understood by then as it was easy to understand in the original rulebook but after that, not so much so I began from there. The forth one about swabbing tiles, I felt it was necessary to put it after this:

nadigames93 wrote:
The game ends when no more tiles can be played on the board. Each player’s lowest score creates the player’s result. i.e. whoever has the lowest score in one color loses. In case of a tie, the next lowest score will be compared and so on.

It doesn't make sense to show it before you even know how to win the game. I think this is probably the one that confused me the most.

I do have a question although it's probably a stupid one. Does that mean that after you have completed your turn, you draw one tile from the bag to refresh your rack to 6 tiles and find that you still do not have the color(s) you need, you get to chance to refresh all 6 tiles or do you wait for your next turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, at the end of your turn, if none of the five tiles you have on your rack include the colour/symbol of your current lowest score, you can, if you so choose, show everyone your tiles and refresh your rack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
No, at the end of your turn, if none of the five tiles you have on your rack include the colour/symbol of your current lowest score, you can, if you so choose, show everyone your tiles and refresh your rack.

Thank you. So you have to either draw one tile from the bag to refresh your rack to 6 tiles or refresh your 5 tiles to 6 new tiles from the bag, is that about right? It's a bit strange that way. Isn't it better to have all 6 tiles to make sure if you have the colors you need before you swab tiles? Also, swabbing exactly 6 tiles from the rack for 6 new tiles makes more sense in my mind. I don't think it matters much anyway, I'm just being too perfectionist !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. Either way, you end up with six tiles, so look at it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.