Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Nolto
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm enjoying the game a lot. It plays relatively quickly and I really like that you only play one action per turn (unlike in the original, where you play both dice). However, I keep hearing the complaint, from people that I play with and from online reviewers (Rahdo, for example), that the game takes up way too much table space for a card game version of CoB.

So too, it takes a lot of time to setup the game, with its many piles of many resources.

An obvious (to me anyway) solution to this problem would have been to not have different cards for workers, points, and silver. Instead, each player would receive one worker, one point card, and one silver, which would represent the storage of those types (much like each player has one card to represent her projects, one to represent her storeroom, and another for completed projects). Then, whenever a player would receive a silver, for example, they would simply take a red backed card and place it face down under their silver card. Whenever a player would receive a worker, they would take a red backed card and place it face down under their worker card.

This is essentially how Race For the Galaxy, San Juan, and Port Royal work. It would free up space, because you wouldn't need to have piles of silver, workers, and point cards.

Given that I've had to shuffle the red-backed card draw pile in a 4 player game, my solution may have required adding more red-backed cards. But, I still think it would be preferable to the current sprawling setup and table space problem.

Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the criticism, but I'm not sure that specific fix would change things much. It's really the need for fairly large tableaus by each player PLUS the whole grid of available cards PLUS your piles of dice cards PLUS the bonus cards PLUS...

You get the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Maybe that would take some red-backed cards out of the game, and ruin the balance of some scoring opportunities?

Try it and report back .
Maybe it wouldn't work unless you have more red cards in the game to begin with, and then you have to work out which red-backed cards to introduce of each type. Might need a second copy of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a supply of cubes. They can even be a uniform color. If you collect two workers, place two cubes on your worker card. Same for other resources.

However, I think a much better solution to the problem is to play San Juan instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Personally, I don't find that the game takes up that much space. The middle market is about the size of a small centerboard of a board game if you set it up correctly, and you can arrange your planning, construction, scoring, and storage cards so that it's about the size of your average player board.

I'll grant that it's large for a card game. But for a board game, it's pretty standard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.