Subject: OL/Plot combos? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I'm going to, finally, be starting a new campaign with a couple of friends and I'm trying to theory out a few combos to have on my shortlist so I know what to buy as I go. Short list currently is Tristayn/warlord, Bol'goreth/infector, I've heard belthir/saboteur works well, and I WANT to do something with Mirklace but I'm not sure what. For what its worth I have everything except the Bilehall box and plots, although I could be convinced to get those three earlier than I was planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Grease trap from Basic 2 can work with Mirklace / Demon Lords and their Aura. You could also use arachyura for the 0 card to give them blast on a 3 dice attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
InfinityBlack14 wrote:
Grease trap from Basic 2 can work with Mirklace / Demon Lords and their Aura. You could also use arachyura for the 0 card to give them blast on a 3 dice attack.

Heirs of blood, no arachyura. probably should have said that tooblush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't use them as an open group? Or you don't have them?

Once Chains that Rust comes out, Unkindness and Soulbinder should make an effective double-familiar combo. Pair with plot decks that boost single monsters.

Enchanter should pair nicely with almost anything, especially if it adds defense (to go with Elixir of Stone) or boosts the survivability of big monsters (to go with Rune of the Phoenix). Valyndra's deck would be good here. Verminous' Unseen Legions would be useful as well, since you can send in swarms of monsters with extra health or defense that will explode when they die (Rings of Zhol'alam).

There's a really nasty Basic II combo you can do with a Rat Swarm that deals a ton of damage. Give that blast and euuuugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I just tend to keep box expansion monsters to the boxes, same for the items, makes them feel a bit more interesting having new monsters added but classes (both hero and ol) are free game though.

edit; plus I thought you were supposed to do it that way, keeping the small/big box monsters to their own campaigns. I did a labyrinth of ruin campaign with EVERYTHING it lead to some severe item bloat that...wasn't very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do it how you like, but per the rules you are definitely supposed to mix in the monsters, items, etc. from each expansion into the overall pool. Expansion monsters in particular seem an odd thing to me to leave out; you never HAVE to choose them as groups outside of their campaign, after all.

I find item bloat is limited by being able to pick and choose from Act I items at the end of the act. Act II's a pretty limited selection no matter what, but most everything's pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I can try it at the very least I suppose, I think it just thematically fitting to have 'regional' monsters and the like. BUT that's just me, I guess. Also makes storage easier, keeping things in their boxes of origin. Anyways, would Mirklace/Punisher work? I kind of like the deal with the devil temptation/punishment spin...I like gimmicks.

edit, again; wow so I've been misreading the rulebooks this entire time. I will ask what all they want to include and funnel it into a big pile next time we discuss stuff lol. Learning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Punisher would probably dovetail nicely with Mirklace's deck; both sap stamina and add a price to healing and recovering. I'm personally fond of bringing in Changelings when I have cards that key off attribute tests.

You could also do some nasty stuff like using Blood Bargaining and Rings of Zhol'alam (I just really like this card) to deal a ton of damage. Spread out among the heroes with a monster group, then attack whoever's closest to the middle with a Blast attack—you'll hurt the heroes, damage your own monsters to damage the heroes, and then any of your monsters that die will hurt the heroes again.

(About the only things you DON'T mix in are campaign-specific items, like the Possessed Citizen cards from Nerekhall.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
This greatly increases my options for what I can do now, and yeah Rings is really good, especially on something like kobolds. I didn't see that synergy between blood bargaining though, jeez. That's very very nasty, and I like it a lot, on that note a monster cant take more damage than its health through that right? Like a 3 health monster can only reciprocate up to that 3 damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, you're limited by the monster's health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.