BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Difficult-to-cheat Games for group of children ages 8-12 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allison Staud
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm looking for a few games that either indirectly teach social skills or could serve as fun, light fillers between lessons in my social skills group. The school that I work at has a terrible selection of board games. Most of them are detestable roll and move, like Candy Land and Trouble. These games are boring and take forever just "to win"

Also, one of the kids inevitably starts to cheat, either by hiding/taking extra cards, manipulating the game pieces in some fashion, moving their pawn when they think no one is looking, etc. Then they start accusing each other of cheating, and it just turns nasty. I haaaaaate moderating these board game brawls. A lot of the kids come from negligent or trauma-filled homes and don't have any manners or social pragmatics.

I'm looking for some nice co-op or deduction style games that MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO CHEAT and will go well in a group setting. I already own Forbidden Island and Pandemic, but these are too difficult for an 8 yo

20 - 40 min. length would be ideal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to teach social skills, I'd look for games that are easy to cheat at. If you can't cheat, what are you learning about not cheating???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Telestrations You wouldn't have to buy the actual game, you could make little booklets of paper, and age-appropriate word prompts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Forbidden Island is too challenging for your 8yo's how about Castle Panic?

Or a cooperative game from Family Pastimes? http://familypastimes.com/category/7-to-adult/ (They have 27 games rated for ages 7 to adult.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Staud
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
curtc wrote:
If you want to teach social skills, I'd look for games that are easy to cheat at. If you can't cheat, what are you learning about not cheating???

Social skills as in making eye contact, sharing "air time", expressing dislike appropriately, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Staud
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
indigopotter wrote:
Telestrations You wouldn't have to buy the actual game, you could make little booklets of paper, and age-appropriate word prompts.

This is genius. I'll try it out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
light_junkie wrote:
curtc wrote:

Social skills as in making eye contact, sharing "air time", expressing dislike appropriately, etc.

If you don't care about learning the importance of not cheating, why do you care if they cheat? I'm still confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Flash Point is a good co-op game and the basic rules are easy enough for children.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Arnold
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of co-ops in this year's kinderspiel nominees: Mmm! and Leo. Both are short, but they might be hard to get in the US right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't Stop
6 nimmt! or one of its variations
Coloretto
Fluxx or one of its variations
Las Vegas
Linko!
Scopa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An old co-op Break the Safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
curtc wrote:
light_junkie wrote:
curtc wrote:

If you don't care about learning the importance of not cheating, why do you care if they cheat? I'm still confused.

While not cheating is a good social lesson, It may be that the OP is trying to focus on the other social skills he mentioned. Its hard to teach young kids about making eye-contact and sharing when they're squabbling over whether someone is cheating or not. Accusing someone of cheating mid-lesson would be a distraction from the skillsets he is trying to reinforce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing the cheating may be partly due to boredom - games that are quicker and more interesting might solve the problem even if it was no more difficult to cheat. Given your description of their cheating makes their cheating sound fairly blatant it might be difficult to find games where cheating is that difficult, if someone is determined to cheat and not that worried about getting caught then it's almost impossible to find games they can't cheat at...

My first thought is abstract type games (since drawing cards and rolling dice are the kind of things where cheating is easy/tempting) but most abstracts are 2p.

Hey, That's My Fish! 2-4p - hard to see how someone could cheat easily

Quick 2p games like Connect Four are pretty difficult to cheat at and over pretty quickly so you can play again (against someone else).

Jenga (or a generic version) seem fairly popular with children.

curtc wrote:

That playing a game without cheating is fun. If some children are cheating every time they play then they'll all realise at some point that playing games where people cheat isn't fun, but they might not realise that playing games without cheating is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
My first thought is abstract type games (since drawing cards and rolling dice are the kind of things where cheating is easy/tempting) but most abstracts are 2p.

Gemblo is best with 3-4 and 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Cheney
United Kingdom
derby
derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried Snake Oil with this age group and so far it hasn't let me down.

It's fun and creative and brings out their characters.

An apples to apples style game so someone chooses the winner of each round. Therefore limiting cheating.

Of course you could also try Apples to Apples

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.