Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Churchill
United States
Platte City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought the base game and played the first time last night with a friend. We entered into an attack contest in which I played a +4 energy card and my friend played an upset card. He auto wins by 3 but then wanted to add his teams fighting modifier(+1) to it so that he would win by four. I was playing Ogres and he wanted the kill. I said I don't think you can do that. But haven't seen anything specifically to dispute his thinking. Did I miss a sentence in the rules or FAQ that mentions this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hoffman
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I believe that when the win comes automatically via an effect (Upset, Ninjas, etc.) that it is a flat +3, which is still a hefty margin to win by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Check out the Board Game Beacon Blog: Click here then click on "Blogs" in the menu bar
badge
Follow me on Twitter: @BoardGameBeacon
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ian, Nick is correct - you can't add any modifiers to an auto-win.
Auto-wins in fighting contests are always by 3.

But do remember, if a player initiates a fighting contest and loses, the maximum damage they can take is 1 (even if their opponent auto-wins).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Churchill
United States
Platte City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I still refute that there's an auto-win by +3 in the rules of the game, see my arguments in this thread: Auto win by 3 apply to dead/live cards in contests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Check out the Board Game Beacon Blog: Click here then click on "Blogs" in the menu bar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Yoki, on the Upset card itself it says "Auto-win (by 3) against an opponent who played +4 or higher energy card or a dead card".

Also, this is in the Kaosball FAQ v1.0:
If the Ninjas initiate a Fighting contest and win by playing the same card as their opponent, do they deal any damage?
A: Yes. If an effect allows you to automatically win a contest, you always win by 3.

The other occasion when auto-wins come into effect is in a contest where one card is live and the other is dead, and the live card automatically wins. I always play that all auto-wins win by 3 in a fighting contest, otherwise it may give no advantage or lead to confusion. I know this is not explicitly stated in the rules but I use the question about the Ninjas in the FAQ as the rule.

Otherwise, in a fighting contest player A could play a +1 and player B could play a dead +5. Player A cannot win by -4, that's why all auto-wins are set at +3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
argentetbury wrote:
Hi Yoki, on the Upset card itself it says "Auto-win (by 3) against an opponent who played +4 or higher energy card or a dead card".

Also, this is in the Kaosball FAQ v1.0:
If the Ninjas initiate a Fighting contest and win by playing the same card as their opponent, do they deal any damage?
A: Yes. If an effect allows you to automatically win a contest, you always win by 3.

The other occasion when auto-wins come into effect is in a contest where one card is live and the other is dead, and the live card automatically wins. I always play that all auto-wins win by 3 in a fighting contest, otherwise it may give no advantage or lead to confusion. I know this is not explicitly stated in the rules but I use the question about the Ninjas in the FAQ as the rule.

Otherwise, in a fighting contest player A could play a +1 and player B could play a dead +5. Player A cannot win by -4, that's why all auto-wins are set at +3.

If a player plays a live card and another player plays a dead card, the player who played the live card wins by whatever the value is on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're totally right on that count Jason! I haven't played the game in almost 2 months and I'm getting complacent! I need a good night's sleep... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good game, lousy rule book. Never had so many questions for a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.