Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played MERCS now twice solo and twice with a friend. My/our impression is that Priority and the rules associated with it (e.g., excessive force and employee KIA penalties) are over-emphasized for what they add to the game. The MERCS seem to get to the top of the Priority track very quickly, so the "penalty" does not end up being anything we worry about.

Are we overlooking a key aspect of the game, or do others have this same impression?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:
I've played MERCS now twice solo and twice with a friend. My/our impression is that Priority and the rules associated with it (e.g., excessive force and employee KIA penalties) are over-emphasized for what they add to the game. The MERCS seem to get to the top of the Priority track very quickly, so the "penalty" does not end up being anything we worry about.

Are we overlooking a key aspect of the game, or do others have this same impression?

It's based on faction strategy IMHO:

Some teams need to draw fire away from their leader so having equal priority for everyone is not helping with that.

Some teams need to use Fire & Movement (don't remember the actual name right now) so you need to manage priority to pull it off.

I do agree though that keeping track of excessive force and especially Employe KIA tokens is too fiddly for what it adds to the game.

Expansions may add more effects to the whole priority mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is important for the attack and move combined action, because the moving Merc has to be lower on the Priority track.

It can be important for setting up a B&C, as some Mercs have an ability (like Door Hammer) to lower the cost of the B&C combined action cost. Well that ability can only be used on that Mercs turn. So the priority track can be important in allowing that particular Merc go in the order you want. I generally like to have that Merc go pretty early in turn order for the B&C so that I can have more Mercs activations after the B&C to get a head start on either the next objective, get ahead of some SecFor that will be coming or head for the extraction point.

If your leader gets several wounds on them, you may want to manipulate the priority track to get him lower and not a primary target.

Edited to strikeout my personal way of playing it. Jerry pointed out the official ruling on it. Though I've used it this way for so long that it was ingrained in my mind. I like that it adds more emphasis on priority.
If all Mercs are tied, things get determined by starting priority, so certain Mercs will still end up going first and last, with only some (likely with priority 2) being flexible to choose order.

So certainly it's not always important, but there are times when it's important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's most important for B&Cs to set up the order your MERCS activate.

1) Having your melee characters act first is key. If they're successful, not only do they lower the number of OpFor dice, but if they attacked a yellow or red location then your team gains cover for the rest of the B&C.

2) The Cover action. If you're sending any MERCS in just to take cover and provide the bonus dice, they have to go first or they're just a waste.

3) Then almost every faction has 1 or 2 troopers whose B&C ability allows them to attack and still take cover, which again is only useful if taken early. (look at Boosters, Demos, and Medics.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
It is important for the attack and move combined action, because the moving Merc has to be lower on the Priority track.

It can be important for setting up a B&C, as some Mercs have an ability (like Door Hammer) to lower the cost of the B&C combined action cost. Well that ability can only be used on that Mercs turn. So the priority track can be important in allowing that particular Merc go in the order you want. I generally like to have that Merc go pretty early in turn order for the B&C so that I can have more Mercs activations after the B&C to get a head start on either the next objective, get ahead of some SecFor that will be coming or head for the extraction point.

If your leader gets several wounds on them, you may want to manipulate the priority track to get him lower and not a primary target.

If all Mercs are tied, things get determined by starting priority, so certain Mercs will still end up going first and last, with only some (likely with priority 2) being flexible to choose order.

So certainly it's not always important, but there are times when it's important.

Mercs starting priority is only used to break ties by the OP FOR/ AI.

When Mercs are tied for priority for a Merc activity like B&C and turn order the player decides.

B&C setup latest rules "If priority is tied among
two or more MERCS, then the players with the same priority decide which M# location they fill."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch Jerry. That's the official way. I forgot that I have been playing it the way that I stated as a means to add more importance to priority and for me to make use of duck and cover more often as well as for not always just burning up the priority track without a care in the world.

Jerry is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:

Take you're time and rest up, in rooms, and use Duck and cover to good effect. Recon is more subtle than a run and gun. Prepare for an Attack & Move or B&C. A Marc under a Reserve action can still be part of a combo as long gas he faces the same circle colour at the end . You can use a better shooter to shoot while the other Merc moves and then Ducks and covers to lower the shooters priority.

Combos and planning are the key - its all about Teamwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Good catch Jerry. That's the official way. I forgot that I have been playing it the way that I stated as a means to add more importance to priority and for me to make use of duck and cover more often as well as for not always just burning up the priority track without a care in the world.

Jerry is correct.

I play the official way but I still manage priority. Its useful for combos and to distract Op For ( well attract them to a higher priority) This helps manage wounds especially ifmypou can use heal and taking an taking an extra wound that puts you equal to your heal ability is more efficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to go back to playing the old school official way, giving it another try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.