KEith Brown
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Or in other words is wave 1 being reprinted as needed?

Bit worried that if I ever decide to get any of the older packs that I don't have i may be too late and they will no longer be available while the later packs are still being printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry. FFG makes regular reprint runs, already has.

Boba Fett is the next one in the queue. See https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you should worry - that's what half of the threads on BGG are for nowadays! You should also worry if the game is dead because you haven't heard of another upcoming expansion in the pipeline. You should worry over whether the dice that come with the game are truly random.

Sleeve worry is also important. Should you use them? Which ones? Will they fit snugly and uniformly? Should they all be the same color? Does the plastic they're made from contain carcinogens?

You simply can't worry enough, but take heart: the Death Star approaches, and soon all your worries will cease. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My bet is that the entire run will stay in print until a second edition (which I don't see as too likely) or they lose the license.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually worry about my tiles. They get much more worn faster than my cards do...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:
I actually worry about my tiles. They get much more worn faster than my cards do...

-shnar

This is quite possibly my greatest fear. And there is nothing I can do to stop it other than stop playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCloskey
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is skirmish you play go to the link below and grab the skirmish maps. Get them printed on vinyl. That way you can save the tiles for campaign or tournaments. Where you need those. I would also look into getting second copies of the tiles from either purchasing another copy or look at eBay.

http://ibrahimshaath.co.uk/imperialassault/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph West
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Digimortal wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

This is quite possibly my greatest fear. And there is nothing I can do to stop it other than stop playing the game.

You could get into casting and using Hirst Arts Molds to build your own custom tiles / terrain to match the IA maps. It's not a 'feasible' alternative, but it is an alternative.

I'm actually giving this consideration for skirmish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Nothing to worry about. If Descent is anything to go buy there may be cases where a given wave is unavailable while it's being reprinted, but you're rarely waiting more than a few months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorywindrunner wrote:
Or in other words is wave 1 being reprinted as needed?

For popular games, and especially those that Fantasy Flight supports through tournaments and their Organized Play program, expect these products to always be reprinted as they go out of stock.

Quote:
Bit worried that if I ever decide to get any of the older packs that I don't have i may be too late and they will no longer be available while the later packs are still being printed.

Depending on how you go about buying them, this could be more or less problematic. Allow me to explain;

If you do your shopping through brick and mortar stores, and more specifically a certain one you support, you may find that as this model range expands, it will become less feasible for the shop to stock all the product in large quantities, as they take up a lot of space to merchandise on the sales floor.

Thus, you may need to place an order with them and wait for the product to come in on their next shipment, so you won't be necessarily able to "make it rain" and go in to the store and buy all the things.

If you shop online, with no real loyalty or ties to any one store, then you should be able to more or less find what you're looking for by searching around.

If you're just getting into the game now, secure that Core Set, and what happens next largely depends on your intentions. If you're going to be into a lot of Skirmish play, hoping to hit up the tournaments, then your next step is to at the very least acquire the Twin Shadows box so you have all the needed tiles to build the maps.

After that, it's a matter of talking to people in person and online about what an efficient buying process would be to put together a decent competitive list.

After that, just grab things as money and availability allows.

If you're just playing Campaigns with your friends at game nights, then the Core Set alone will cover you one solid playthrough of the campaign before you would consider expanding it. The campaign is replayable without any new components, but you'll no doubt want to spice it up by adding in those sweet Ally/Villain models.

From there, if the Core campaign is done for you, pick up another one. Hoth plays out at a comparable length, Twin Shadows and Bespin Gambit are shorter, 4 mission affairs.

We prefer the shorter ones in our group as they make it easier to wrap up in a couple of game nights, before life happens and we all get really busy and the campaign sort of fizzles out.

Descent 2E's release structure is a good yardstick for how Imperial Assault will roll off; Core Set, Small Campaign, Big Campaign, Small Campaign, etc. with supplemental "packs" that go along side it that aren't essential to the campaign per se but add some extra flavour.

To wrap it all back up to a simple answer; there's no way FFG is going to not reprint anything from this line in the foreseeable future while they hold this license, so get that Core Set and expand it as money and interest allows, with whatever looks attractive to you on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

You need to varnish those tiles!!!

Seriously, it's a little tedious to do, and certainly at this stage in the game you'll have your work cut out for you, but get it done. I've been doing it since the Core came out, so it's been easier on me.

You'll keep them in their nicer condition longer this way, especially if you're playing a lot in Skirmish events where they don't allow printed maps (which is technically all of them, but at least in the Toronto area, we've all looked the other way).

Read what one of my colleagues in the X-Wing world has to say about it;

http://dockingbay416.com/varnish-everything/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SlyFox
msg tools
mb
cleardave wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

You need to varnish those tiles!!!

Seriously, it's a little tedious to do, and certainly at this stage in the game you'll have your work cut out for you, but get it done. I've been doing it since the Core came out, so it's been easier on me.

You'll keep them in their nicer condition longer this way, especially if you're playing a lot in Skirmish events where they don't allow printed maps (which is technically all of them, but at least in the Toronto area, we've all looked the other way).

Read what one of my colleagues in the X-Wing world has to say about it;

http://dockingbay416.com/varnish-everything/

Can you use Krylon spray varnish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to think about that, but I wonder if that will cause a problem with assembling the maps. Will thepuzzle notches still fit well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The cardboard in the middle should absorb the varnish, hardening it, and it would not affect the outside dimensions. At least that's what happened with the X-Wing dials I coated (brush-on coat).

I have about half of the core game maps photocopied. If you don't need top-notch graphical quality, you can easily print out the Campaign maps from the Vassal IA Campaign module, and the skirmish maps are also available from somewhere as PDFs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slyfoxbgg wrote:

Can you use Krylon spray varnish?

I used varnish from a tin and brushed on a couple of very thin coats. Essentially what that article describes.

I think you could probably get away with a spray varnish, but I can't confirm that since my only experience was with brushing it on from the tin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
I'll have to think about that, but I wonder if that will cause a problem with assembling the maps. Will thepuzzle notches still fit well?

So what you want to do is this;

Do several thin layers over the course of the day. As you work you way down the assembly line of tiles, when you get to the end, go back to the first one and inspect the sides, paying particular attention to the puzzle piece section.

If you see any of the varnish running down and collecting there, a very small brush should be able to sweep that away.

As was mentioned, the cardboard core of the tiles will absorb some of the varnish.

If you're using several thing coats, you shouldn't have a lot of varnish globbing up on the sides, so this clean up step, while necessary, should be quick and easy.

Don't be impatient! Do several thin coats. This will help ensure that the varnish doesn't dry awkwardly and leave globs on the finished artwork, making for a bumpy surface to play on, though I suppose you could throw that in to the garbage heap rough terrain tile if you wanted that extra bit of flavour and immersion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any pics of varnished IA tiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
Any pics of varnished IA tiles?

None whatsoever. Even looking at them when we play, you'd pretty much never know until you pick them up in your hand. They feel a little more rigid I guess? If you've done the job right, using thin coats, you shouldn't see a visual difference, except for when the edges don't wear out because you've covered them. They'll look as good today as they will 10 years from now.

Check out that article I linked for some pics of X-Wing dials and other components that were varnished. It's the same result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.