Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Little
United States
Bonner Springs
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first in what I plan on being a solo attempt to play and review games in my collection. While I welcome other readers and all feedback, the primary objective is to log my experiences for future play.

Set-up: 5-6 minutes
Play: 35 minutes

Ease to learn and teach (1-10 with 10 being difficult): 2

Rating for non-gamers (10 being perfect): 8

Luck Factor (10 being all luck, no strategy): 5

Things I liked: Quick, smooth play, wake up mechanism (a la Fresco and Viticulture).; different paths to scoring.

Things I liked less: 3rd person to go was often screwed in a 3-player game; Randomness of tiles was a blessing and a curse when multiple middles showed up; points for water seemed too arbitrary and counter-thematic.

Component Quality: 8

Summary: Parfum, from the makers of Fresco, is all about creating "notes" or scents, and combining them to make perfumes. The idea is fun, and overall, I think this game pulls it off. The concerns I have, however, are more than incidental. First, it can be a real bummer being 3rd, as the market and note creation track is so arbitrary that you can be left with little to do. Second, water points are just total luck and can really monkey wrench the final result. I have friends who would pass a kidney over playing the perfect game only to lose on water points at the end. That said, a strategic player might play a water token to retool just to earn said points.

The rules are easy to master. This game is quick with minimal AP inducement and complexity is minimal. I'd call it a gateway game that newbies will enjoy, but your monthly game group will find the pungency less to. Their liking.

Overall rating: 7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I just picked this one up for my daughter and me, mainly due to the theme (and the price, which was dead low). I think it will be a good fit for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
Parfum is at one of its all-time lows in a while - $12.64 from Amazon including 2-day shipping!

Amazon Link
CamelCamelCamel Link

Absolutely worth it at this price, I'm picking up another copy to give it away later this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.