Subject: Confusing Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott

Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else find the rules to this game confusing? I played it wrong three times till I think I finally understood the rules correctly. They need to update the rules manual for this game, or its dead in the water.

Also, another thing: I think the main problem with this game are the game boards. They are too busy, and its extremely hard to figure out where the meeples go and what benefit they get from the spot. If the board was clearer and the iconography was better, I have a feeling this game would get more love. Also, upgrade the components a little!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to make you feel stupid, but since you asked - no.

Our very first game was a glorious 5 player throw down, and everyone loved it.

Yes, it took a good 15 minutes for me to teach the game, myself never having actually played it, and we got everything right. How? I teach games often and very methodically, and in an order not necessarily aligned with rulebook order.

If you are the teacher, trying to use the rulebook to learn the game, sometimes, you may need to solo a game yourself at a minimum player count to really see what the gears look like once they start turning.

I do this all the time to let the rules gel in my head. In fact, I even did it with the relatively simple game Oh My Goods, because some of the mechanics were a bit deviant from other games.

It's not the best rulebook by any stretch, but it's sufficient to get the job done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall, I did not think the rules were that bad, but there was one thing that should be clarified. Within the body of the rules it does NOT state that you need to turn in cards of the SAME type / color (e.g. Business, Politics, etc). The only reference to this is in the paragraph on page 1 that does a small summary of the game. Most people ignore this and as a result would play the game wrong (thanks to Dan King for identifying it on his review of the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the layout could be better, and the published version is missing one key rule (mentioned above). Look at my rule summary, which is actually pretty comprehensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.