6 Posts

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower» Forums » Variants

Subject: Rules for Thanquol and Boneripper rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie A
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This is a bit of request for someone who's more familiar with the game to design hero rules for Thanquol and Boneripper as i'd really like bringing my models to a game but really wouldn't know how to balance them!
As someone suggested to me having them as a duo like the Excelsior Warpriest and his Gryph-Hound would be really nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a bit of brainstorming here, and some stream of consciousness thoughts on the matter (not really being familiar with the rules for the two from previous editions):

Thanquol

As a Skaven Caster, he should have a high-ish Agility and low Save. Probably 6+ Save and 3+ Agility. 6+ Save is pretty standard for Caster type characters, so not really much to explain there, and I'm thinking 3+ on the Agility to keep him relatively mobile and help to keep away from adversaries. He should really be focusing more on keeping away from enemies than taking a more stand and deliver stance. Similarly, Skaven generally have Move 4, and I don't think there's anything about Thanquol that indicates he should be particularly fast for a Skaven, so Move 4 is good there.

So, we have Move: 4, Save 6+, and Agility 3+ (though the last may drop to 4+ after some testing).

Next, we should consider his weapons. He should have an always available Melee attack (1+), probably his staff, and some sort of ranged attack (probably a 3+/Missile/3+/D3 statline). So, I would go with:

Staff 1+/Combat/4+/1
Warpstone Bolt 3+/Missile/4+/D3

For his special abilities, I would focus on Boneripper. 2+ to control Boneripper, and probably either a 5+ or 6+ to resummon him. Pretty straightforward, and pretty standard wording from the Excelsior Warpries/Gryph Hound and Necromancer/Skeletons.

Boneripperis going to be the challenging bit. Again, I don't know what the character can do in the WHFB rules, but from what I see on the model, I would probably go with:

Move: 3
Vigour: 3
Agility: 5+

Bone Claws: Combat/4+/1
Warpstone Shot: Missile/5+/2

Then, we need to figure out the behavior table. I would go with:

1-2: Do nothing
3-5: Move and attack enemy nearest Thanquol
6: Move and attack Adversary of choice.

This is, of course, a first draft off the top of my head, but it should be somewhat close to a usable character. Of course, Boneripper is going to be the one to focus on to make the character truly unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to stick more to the "official" rules and such, the Silver Tower phone app has a bunch more Heroes that you can get access to for a couple dollars each. One of these bonus characters is indeed a Grey Seer which you could easily use the Thanquol model for.

This is a topic near and dear to my heart though as I'm a long-time Skaven fan, with Thanquol being my all-time favorite Warhammer character. So I'm curious to see some variant ways people come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're at it we need Snikch done up good and proper!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Camp
United States
Longview
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im on it....

Got Thanquol done...

For boneripper... I am thinking he would gain his own renown (thus the renown ability on Thanquol.) and it would change his Table and unlock abilities as he gains. Also there is no command action purposely. he will begin a bit random but as things happen he will become more workable..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wow that was really quick! Looking really nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.