Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read enough about TIME Stories that I'm giving serious consideration to trying to round up a group of people local to me to split the cost & commit to playing through. However, I also can't quite decide whether it would be a good fit.

People who have played it - based on my ratings and the adaptation of the BGG Secret Santa letter from my profile, it this something that's likely to be a good fit for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your expressed interest in roleplaying, I think TIME Stories might be a fit. It feels sort of like a boardgame version of a roleplaying scenario to me. However, be aware some of it is not really little-kid friendly (prominent themes of violence and adult situations in Asylum, at least). There is quite a bit of dice-rolling in the game, but it's more about reading cards and teasing out clues to solve a mystery, with heavy group discussion frequently required. So I'm not 100% sure any of the likely game partners you describe will go for this or not....

PS - If you do try it, I would also advise you to be highly tolerant of in-game frustration -- the scenarios are designed to be so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you do manage to find a group to split the cost I would stay probably. I can't glean much from your ratings, but from your profile description it is definitely a very thematic and unique co-op. Prophecy of Dragons especially I think has a pseudo-RPG feel, whereas the base game feels like you're piecing together clues of a mystery. Also if you play strictly in terms of the card reading that helps to reduce alpha gamer syndrome, since no one knows everything.

If you can't find a group and tried to play with your kids I would say no. You said you have a hard time getting both of your kids together to play, and the BGG consensus appears to be it is not good with 2. Also, even if you get them both to play there are definitely some PG-13 elements in the game (e.g. a choice to stab someone or not). Also depending on how strictly you play by the rules there are a lot of text reading and interpretation of the meaning of images that would definitely be too much for a 6 year old, and possibly too much for a 10 year old.

Edit: ninja'd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both - I should definitely clarify that this is considering finding a group of adults to split the cost & play with.

Also a good reminder to go update some ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy RPG, I have run Rifts / Savage Worlds Campaigns for several years. I enjoy a good thematic game. TIME Stories did nothing for me. You can read my comments with my ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually found TIME Stories to be vastly superior as a 2 player game, rather than more players. Buts its hard to compare as you only play each scenario once. Played the base game with 2 players and it was amazing. Played Marcy Case with 4 and was not so impressed. Im going to buy Prophecy and play it just with my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Well you like RP and thematic games, so I would say yes. The only thing is you need a consistent group. If you can get that for sure, then don't hesitate to buy the game. Just know it's less of a game and more of an interactive story that you experience with your friends. If that brief description bothers you, avoid this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Learned last night that one person in the Meetup group has (and has played through) a copy. That means that I'll look more seriously at assembling a consistent group from there and borrowing his, rather than getting people to make a financial commitment. (He already mentioned that we could borrow it.)

Thanks to everybody for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.