Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a game you could play with non-gamers? Usually I can tell that from the game weight, but so far that statistic is only based on 3 votes. Does anyone here have an opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Holy Terror
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is pretty simple. Move, add number on cards to numbers on board, take damage. Next.
That's the basic idea. All exceptions are spelled out on hero cards and you can add obstacle rules later. My 8 and 10 year olds were up and playing in 5 minutes after my explanation.
AND YET, the strategy, depth, and storytelling aspects are quite deep. I think it's a great game for non-gamers if they like comics, superheroes, or just something a little different.
I found my non-gamer wife had the reaction which I know means it's good for non-games...
"Hmmm... that was kinda fun." That's a glowing review!
I've only gotten that reaction from her for Ticket to Ride and Carcasonne. So take it's for what it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hancock.tom wrote:
Is this a game you could play with non-gamers? Usually I can tell that from the game weight, but so far that statistic is only based on 3 votes. Does anyone here have an opinion?

I would rate it "medium light". In fact, I am one of the three votes and that is what I did rate it.

I have never played the basic game. My rating is based on the standard game. After one read through of the rules, my opponent (13 years old) and I (13 years old...plus 13....plus another 13...plus... never mind) played a game. We had no problem understanding and implementing the rules.

We did have a problem remembering to use some of the powers that we had available (those that come into use in another friendly or enemy's character's turn), but that became less of a factor as we grew more accustomed to the game. By the second game, things went really well.

The complexities have to do with how to best use the various powers on your team in the most expedient way, not with understanding them or the rules.

I do believe it is the easiest understood and played super hero game out there to still be interesting and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarence Chambers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I would pretty much echo Barry and Jon. Capes & Cowls is one of those rare games that are easy to learn but filled with in-play depth. Add to this its picture-perfect theming, streamlined mechanics, and built-in story factor, and you've got a game that should appeal to a fairly broad range of gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.