Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the general etiquette on this, so I figured that here was the best place to ask... Hypothetically, if I had redesigned Independent Company charters in a printable format, it it okay to post them here (in the files section)?

Does it make a difference if I incorporated the original art in my redesign? I don't want to get in trouble, copyright-wise...

For anyone that is curious, the redesign incorporates:

a) Change to font and size of company Name and Number to aid in identification cross-table.
b) Coloration of the picture, as an aesthetic touch, and also for the same reason as a). I considered finding new pictures online, but I liked the idea of coloring in the original art to preserve the theme, despite the difficulty of flood-filling a scanned-in image.
c) A few changes to wording on special abilities, mostly to convey the same idea with fewer words (and thus either save space or increase font-size).
d) Added some player references - reminders of phase limitations on Growth Corps and AL, the explore odds from the back of one of the game manuals, plus Bill Parker's Expected Gains handout.

The real reason I bothered with the whole thing was for the Expected Gains. I was considering printing and handing them out, but felt like it was more clutter and there was plenty of blank space in the Treasury section of the company charters, so I figured I'd tape it there. Then I thought why not print it there instead, and no way I'm going to try to run the existing components through a printer, so then I started monkeying with some other bits...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally I don't think anyone ever has any issues posting things like what you described. It's Fair Use. You're not profiting from it.

*edit*
Oh, it's you. I should have guessed. You should email me those before I leave for Cleveland tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I have made and posted many such derivatives many times. On one occasional the publisher requested they be taken down. At no time has there been any ill will either before or after.

You might note that there has been no pushback for my charters for 1867, map for 1869 and 18FR, or tilesets for other games, etc etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I have made and posted many such derivatives many times. On one occasional the publisher requested they be taken down. At no time has there been any ill will either before or after.

You might note that my there has been no pushback for my charters for 1867, map for 1869 and 18FR, or tilesets for other games, etc etc.

Thanks for the info. I knew that there were such things published on the geek, but wasn't sure if they were done with prior permission or what. I will post them and if the designer (who was also the publisher) asks me to take them down, I will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In Tom's case, I expect that he is more likely to say, "Thank you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, while I wait for the file to get through geek mod, the individual images are posted in my Gallery. (You can click through on this one and browse Next a couple of times to see the rest.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I haven't commented before because I was waiting to see the actual files.

Please add -- it can be in small type -- "Adapted from original art by Jeff Sturgeon" to these certificates. You could place it sideways by the left border of the upper section, so that it is not intrusive, but present.

I have many artist friends. Some of them do not approve of their art being colorized and feel quite strongly about this. Making it clear that what you have done is not their artwork, but an adaption of their artwork, would be important to them.

It's possible that Jeff himself wouldn't object -- he's a pretty easy-going guy -- but A) he is a professional artist; B) I am the copyright holder for this particular set of artwork; and C) I feel honor-bound to protect what usage is made of his artwork.

Chris, is this condition acceptable to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
I haven't commented before because I was waiting to see the actual files.

Please add -- it can be in small type -- "Adapted from original art by Jeff Sturgeon" to these certificates. You could place it sideways by the left border of the upper section, so that it is not intrusive, but present.

Absolutely, Tom, I will do that. Thanks for commenting. I was not 100% sure about whether it would be okay to colorize the art and post the files, but that's why I asked first. I felt like this route kept the original feel better than replacing the artwork with something different and probably less appropriate. If I have your permission to post them with that condition, then I will comply with that condition ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Chris, as the copyright holder of the artwork in question, I don't see an issue with posting these files as long as there's a clear art adaption statement, such as "Adapted from Jeff Sturgeon's original art", on the certificates.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the original file was approved by GeekMod at 7am this morning (my time) and I uploaded the attribution fix at about 7:30am, so hopefully the new file will get approved as quickly as the first one. I already fixed the .png images in my gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
District wrote:
Generally I don't think anyone ever has any issues posting things like what you described. It's Fair Use. You're not profiting from it.

For what it's worth (and obviously it's moot now the copyright holder has chimed in), that's not what defines fair use.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
thepackrat wrote:
District wrote:

For what it's worth (and obviously it's moot now the copyright holder has chimed in), that's not what defines fair use.

Correct. However, non-profit is one of several considerations used by USA courts in evaluating the "Purpose and Character" of a proposed fair use.

For those interested in this topic, see "More information on Fair Use" by the U.S. Copyright office: http://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

I'll also note that Fair Use is defined quite differently by various non-US countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect the new numbers to confuse newbies and to be pretty much useless to the rest of us. The biggest problem is that the payout of a mine depends so much on bonuses, and there can be up to three bonuses on each load delivered from a mine. (Example: Ice Finder becomes Mars Mining as a growth company, then delivers ice to the preprinted MM base. This pays bonuses for the Ice Finder pilot, for MM as a company, and for the MM base, which are all cumulative.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdgalt wrote:
(Example: Ice Finder becomes Mars Mining as a growth company, then delivers ice to the preprinted MM base. This pays bonuses for the Ice Finder pilot, for MM as a company, and for the MM base, which are all cumulative.)

Most of that has nothing to do with the first round (i.e. OR1+2) income, and the parts that do have something to do with it (bonus for the Independent or for the bases they can reach in OR2) are already calculated in.

The point of the expected gains numbers are to help plan out your first couple of turns. Whether or not the company will be able to buy a claim or a second ship in OR2, whether or not a player will make enough from payouts to buy an extra share of TSI, whether or not to add an extra $10 or $20 to your bid to allow the company to afford that claim or second ship, etc... It's also meant to give a new player some framework for how much the Independents are worth as far as bidding, since it's nearly impossible to have any clue to that on first or second play, but the long term value is tough to accurately gauge since so much of that depends on exploration and development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.