Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games like this, which have campaigns, have the party getting too powerful, too fast (as they get loaded up with awesome equipment and gobs of experience).

Do the enemies in this game scale in difficulty during the campaign? I just don't want the end of the campaign to be a cakewalk with near invincible heroes at the end.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows more about how this works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
As we don't know anything about Story Mode, I'd look at what we do know.

Each tile has a difficulty associated with it in a quest represented by a token.

I could assume that Story mode will see an increase in starting and ending difficulties for a quests map, that scales with either highest player level or sequence in the quest line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect this will be a bit like Shadows of Brimstone, in which early adventures are tough and the difficulty curve eases as characters unlock progressively more abilities. Although characters mostly reset after each game, it has to be the best strategy to unlock early abilities first and that can't help but make subsequent games easier as characters begin with more and more passive bonuses in place.

I am assuming true vanilla characters start a bit weak, and the video playthrough posted by CMON seems to support that notion as characters have trouble killing mobs and die easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting question. I haven't used ultimate survivors for Zombicide yet, but I heard by the end of the experience spectrum you had basically unlocked god mode.

I'm pulling this completely out of my butt because I don't know for sure, but kickstarter backers have access to a ton of wandering monsters which are supposed to be difficult. So maybe you'll be able to stack the spawn deck with more or less to finesse the difficulty?

I notice a lot of games, video games included, have this problem. Look at the masters of destruction we all became in Skyrim, Fallout, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they do have the mobs in different levels, so those will get harder.

Not sure about the roaming monsters and how they will adapt to higher levels of experience among the characters.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
Some games like this, which have campaigns, have the party getting too powerful, too fast (as they get loaded up with awesome equipment and gobs of experience).

Do the enemies in this game scale in difficulty during the campaign? I just don't want the end of the campaign to be a cakewalk with near invincible heroes at the end.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows more about how this works.

We don't know not nothing that much about the campaign mode yet.

What we know is that there are enemy decks from level one to five.

If we flip the level fivers against the wall in the end of a mission/campaign can nobody know except MD playtesters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So they said Story Mode would have harder enemies to make up for us having access to all our skills (that we've unlocked) at the start... but one thing I would like to see added to Story Mode would be the change of the rule that allows you to activate all Bams/Diamonds using just one icon. It just seems too easy, especially when you have some skills that grant you an icon no matter what you roll.

I would prefer it to be like Descent/Imperial Assault where you choose what surge (Bam/Diamond) effects you want to activate (with the limit of once per combat action). This gives you meaningful decisions with your combat instead of 'Activate all the things!'

If it's not changed I might house rule it after some playtesting...

Edit: Clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
kevinjohn3d wrote:
I would prefer it to be like Descent/Imperial Assault where you choose what surge (Bam/Diamond) effects you want to activate (with the limit of once per combat action). This gives you meaningful decisions with your combat instead of 'Activate all the things!'

Agreed. I imagine this was a conscious choice of the designers' to keep things "streamlined", but in this case, I think it comes at the cost of losing some gameplay depth. I suspect the benefit of giving players a few more interesting decisions would greatly outweigh the slight increase in rule complexity.

I may try to house rule it as you suggest, but my fear is that the the distribution of bam/diamond effects on items and the distribution of bam/diamonds on the dice will not be well-balanced to support it. For instance, if your character's dice pool typically rolls at least 2 bams and it's rare to ever have more than 2 bam effects across your equipment, then the house rule becomes fairly moot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinjohn3d wrote:
So they said Story Mode would have harder enemies to make up for us having access to all our skills (that we've unlocked) at the start

I wonder what they are planning to make the monsters harder. As far as we know the RMs come with two different level cards. Do you think more cards will be issued? Monsters get more health across the board? Makes me wonder.

kevinjohn3d wrote:
... but one thing I would like to see added to Story Mode would be the change of the rule that allows you to activate all Bams/Diamonds using just one icon. It just seems too easy, especially when you have some skills that grant you an icon no matter what you roll.

If it's not changed I might house rule it after some playtesting...

I agree with this. It would be a cool feature or a fun house rule but like QuantumNinja suggested - let's hope the game is not flooded with more bams and diamonds than we know what to do with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster health and strength already scales depending on how many heroes are in a party.

You should read the rulebook to find out the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gábor Both
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the game to be harder, you could use fewer low level cards, or skip them altogether, because when a deck runs out, you have to use higher level ones. This could mean Level 2 mobs in the first room or high level roaming monsters in the first few turns of the game, who would patrol down the hallways early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Internutt wrote:
Monster health and strength already scales depending on how many heroes are in a party.

You should read the rulebook to find out the rest.

As helpful as that is to the discussion, I think the OP was referring to scaling beyond what the base game provides, to support an indepth campaign mode. I don't believe that is in the rulebook we have so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.