6 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Travel Set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert B.
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi all! I'm trying to come up with a list of cards to take on holiday and to public meet-ups. I limited myself to 25, because i want them to fit in a smaller box. For the same reason I tried to avoid tokens, mats and non-suppley cards. So here is the list:

at 2: Squire, Hamlet, Haven
at 3: Urchin, Fishing Village, Mangerie, Market Square and Watch Tower
at 4: Caravan, Farming Village, Tournament, Young Witch, Gardens and Procession
at 5: Governer, Hunting Party, Treasury, Royal Seal, City, Knights, Wharf, Rabble and Mountebank
at 6+8: Great Market and Peddler

I haven't included cards from Hinterlands, Guilds and Empires because I don't own them. To keep things simple I also excluded Adventures and Alchemy.

Has anyone tried this before? Which cards would you replace, and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got a really high ratio of non-terminal cards (those that give at least +1 Action) to terminal cards (those that don't). You have 6 terminal cards total, most of which are attacks (Watchtower, Young Witch, Knights, Wharf, Rabble, and Mountebank). You're fairly Village-heavy and Attack-heavy, and the Attacks you have are some of the harshest in the game (except Rabble). You said you were avoiding non-Supply cards, but you have both Urchin and Tournament. Tournament seems great; it's a very unique card that only needs 5 extra cards. But maybe you could have a different Militia-style Attack instead of Urchin? I mean you could fit another whole Kingdom pile then.

So I'd replace at least Urchin and Hamlet with terminal cards. Ideally one of them would trash (Chapel, Masquerade or Steward [do you have Intrigue?], Remake, etc.) Probably you don't need both Young Witch and Mountebank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B.
Germany
flag msg tools
LastFootnote wrote:
You've got a really high ratio of non-terminal cards (those that give at least +1 Action) to terminal cards (those that don't). You have 6 terminal cards total, most of which are attacks (Watchtower, Young Witch, Knights, Wharf, Rabble, and Mountebank). You're fairly Village-heavy and Attack-heavy, and the Attacks you have are some of the harshest in the game (except Rabble).

Yeah, I need more terminals. I will replace Hamlet with Pawn, and Fishing Village with Stewart. Any suggestions on other terminals?

Quote:
You said you were avoiding non-Supply cards, but you have both Urchin and Tournament. Tournament seems great; it's a very unique card that only needs 5 extra cards. But maybe you could have a different Militia-style Attack instead of Urchin? I mean you could fit another whole Kingdom pile then.

I wanted at least one card that could upgrade itself, and Urchin is the least complicated. It's also a trasher, after upgrading.

Quote:
So I'd replace at least Urchin and Hamlet with terminal cards. Ideally one of them would trash (Chapel, Masquerade or Steward [do you have Intrigue?], Remake, etc.) Probably you don't need both Young Witch and Mountebank.

I want to keep Young Witch, so Mountebank will be replaced. Probably with Merchant Ship. But I'm unsure if I should rather take out the Knights...

Edit: New List! I also replaced Market Square, Gardens and Peddler with Smugglers, Remake and Harem.

at 2: Squire, Pawn, Haven
at 3: Urchin, Stewart, Mangerie, Smugglers and Watch Tower
at 4: Caravan, Farming Village, Tournament, Young Witch, Remake and Procession
at 5: Governer, Hunting Party, Treasury, Royal Seal, City, Knights, Wharf, Rabble and Merchant Ship
at 6: Great Market and Harem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once had an idea for a travel set. Take 10 sets of 11 distinct cards (perhaps numbered, 11 "1", 11 "2", ... 11 "10") and all the randomizers. Set one of each distinct card next to a random card from the randomizers. Use the 10 others of the 10 sets as the kingdom. Any time someone buys, gains, or plays a "1" card, it is an exact copy of the randomizer card next to the "1" card in the kingdom. If you tend to play with more than one opponent, you might want two or three sets to have 13 (instead of 11) copies. Play as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Opdyke
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the post! Just put together a few deck boxes to put in my motorcycle for the week in Orlando and followed your final list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did put together something like that a few years ago, but unfortunately I posted it under the base cards, so it's pretty hard to find:

Dominion portable playset ideas

/kgm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.