Imperial Settlers» Forums » General

Subject: Barbarian Deckbuilding with WCWBF rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Vandenberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So far in my four games of IS, I've managed to play all four factions and have enjoyed Barbarians the most. I like their razing benefits even though I use raze on my own cards far more often than my opponents. I don't own WCWBF but I'm hoping to get it soon and I'm interested to see what the best deck would be for Barbarians. Here's what I have down right now:

3 copy buildings

Included:
-Raid: VP engine = mandatory
-Primeval forest: Too good to give up
-Secluded hamlet: I like that it's cheap, doesn't cost a location, and gives a worker and raze token as a building bonus

Excluded:
-Chapel: I don't have a ton of experience but it seems like the workers would be better used for drawing cards to raze. I could be wrong though

2 copy buildings

Included:
-Elite: Seems like an easy way to get victory points. Synergy with raze strategy
-Rabble: Useful for when you run out of cards to raze. I read that you get the wood from turning it into a foundation so it seems like a good plan to do this before using a common to make a faction card.
-Sentry tower: Good source of raze and a worker is nice
-Village: Excellent benefit and cheap
-Saboteurs: A nice trade for a cheap price. Also hurts your opponent
-Hall of Trophies: I really like the idea behind this card and storing raze is useful (for a cheap price too). I don't know how often this feature would end up being used in a raze-heavy strategy though
-Dark Chapel: Strong addition to VP generation. Not 100% sold on it
NOTE: I need to decide between Hall of Trophies or Dark Chapel

Excluded:
-Pack: Doesn't seem strong enough to me but I could be wrong. It IS a one-for-one trade so maybe I'm missing something but I find it hard to give up the cards I currently have

1 copy buildings

Included:
-Border: Good source of gold and VP for all the black we build
-Fighting ring: Extra raze tokens are always handy in this strategy
-Fortress: I'm not sold on this one as it's dead weight early on and we can't cheese it with faction deck discard shuffling anymore. However 6VP is still decent
-Stone pit: Cheap and extremely useful
-Mission: This card is handy drawing from the common deck but dangerous when you draw from your faction one (guaranteed to lose one of your cards for good). Regardless, it's definitely useful as a deal
-Mounted scouts: Seems like a very strong way to get more cards to raze
-Barter: I have a feeling we'll have lots of extra wood late game, making this a nice way to get VP on the side
-Captivity: Doesn't cost a location and for a low cost of 2 wood, you're guaranteed to draw 5-15 workers off of it depending on how early you play it
-Robbers: Pretty nice bonus considering you'll often trade two workers for a card anyway. The 1VP and opponent losing a deal is just icing on the cake

Not included:
-Expendition: Not quite sure what the point in this card is. With two Raids, it makes more sense to just use the token to raze a building instead. I guess it makes sense if you have low card draw and tons of raze but I don't want to play for that
-Rehousing team: Seems like a crazy waste of your raze tokens
-Temple: The 4VP is not worth the cost of making this

These are my thoughts so far. However, I've never played with the WCWBF cards and I've only played Barbarians once! If there are some major flaws in my thinking or you have different reasoning for picking cards, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhou Wu
msg tools
saboteurs: is good for deal,card and gold
pack:when your opponent has a blue card or meeting place ,then one worker for a card,twice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Vandenberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good point about Pack. Might be worth considering then! How do you get a gold with Saboteurs? I thought it was just food, wood or stone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhou Wu
msg tools
i rarely build Saboteurs , one worker for a wood/stone/food in my opinion is no big use
i’d rather make it for a deal ! for card and gold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Vandenberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Twofold Askara wrote:
i rarely build Saboteurs , one worker for a wood/stone/food in my opinion is no big use
i’d rather make it for a deal ! for card and gold

I don't have the cards with me but are you saying that Saboteurs gives you both a card AND a gold when you make a deal with it? I thought it just gave you a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhou Wu
msg tools
Saboteurs have 2 copies ╮(╯▽╰)╭
one for card,another for gold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.