United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi friends, welcome to our 12 Day Campaign for:

Three styles to choose from, as all 3 styles have already been unlocked!

Each bag is a huge 15x13x10inches, and holds 4-5 big box games each, and up to 35lbs.

Several hundred amazing people have already made this campaign fully funded and fully stretched in only 24 hours!

As low as $7 each, consider getting a few yourself. Campaign page here.

Free Gen Con 2016 pickup option.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Game Night Bags - Holds 35+lbs and is only $7
Do these bags already exist? I got the impression from reading your KS page that they do. If so, it would be really helpful to show a picture of one of the bags filled with games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Teague
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your video says you 'invented' these bags but...?

https://www.4imprint.com/product/101326-1513/Big-Thunder-Tot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh snap....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morley

Lebanon
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the bag in question on that site would be the Full Color print sku (101326-1513-FC) which is actually $4 per 100. Of course the total run would be more than 100, but with 3 different prints to accommodate, the actual runs would be 3 smaller runs (higher cost) rather than one larger one (lower cost). Also, add in artist(s) costs for providing the artwork. I'd say that the markup is significantly less than 700%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Teague
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew there was an option for full color, but didn't know it had it's own URL.
https://www.4imprint.com/search/101326-1513-fc/product/10132...
That 'kaiju' art is super familiar. I swear I've seen it before, but I haven't been able to locate anything similar yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eugaet wrote:

That 'kaiju' art is super familiar. I swear I've seen it before, but I haven't been able to locate anything similar yet.

It makes me think of the Rampage box art:

I also feel it's a bit misleading to say that the bags are "as low as $7 each". This is only if you buy 3 bags. They are actually technically $9 each.

After factoring in shipping to the UK, these would become very expensive shopping bags! I carry my stuff to game night in a good sized sturdy cardboard box. I think I will stick to that for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
eugaet wrote:
I knew there was an option for full color, but didn't know it had it's own URL.
https://www.4imprint.com/search/101326-1513-fc/product/10132...

I was thinking that too. But in any case, I am pretty sure this violates Kickstarter's rules, since you're not supposed to just resell things.

He's not -- he's arranging for printing of a particular design in a particular color. This isn't any different than all those companies that make unique card decks. I don't understand why people are irritated about this project -- it doesn't purport to be anything other than what it is.

Since bulk printing saves money, by doing the kickstarter he's able to arrange/create the bags more cheaply than you could POD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Teague
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
He's not -- he's arranging for printing of a particular design in a particular color. This isn't any different than all those companies that make unique card decks. I don't understand why people are irritated about this project -- it doesn't purport to be anything other than what it is.

Since bulk printing saves money, by doing the kickstarter he's able to arrange/create the bags more cheaply than you could POD.
The way it's presented is as if he invented the bag and is having it manufactured from raw materials. I'm also concerned about attributing the art if it's not original. If not, I hope the artist(s) are getting paid.
At any rate, there's a severe lack of transparency and truthfulness to the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiala
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eugaet wrote:
wombat929 wrote:

The way it's presented is as if he invented the bag and is having it manufactured from raw materials. I'm also concerned about attributing the art if it's not original. If not, I hope the artist(s) are getting paid.
At any rate, there's a severe lack of transparency and truthfulness to the campaign.

Under "Risks and Challenges" it says "To ensure this works as quickly and easily as promised, all bags are already in the states and will be printed to order at our command stateside." - that certainly sounds like the bags are already made and just need to have the pictures applied and delivered. And he's delivering in August - if he were creating new bags, there's no way that would be possible.

It was clear to me on reading the kickstarter that he was decorating already-made bags, and not creating new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
All the written content says is that he has finally found bags the right size for games and is getting them printed with game-related artwork.

It's a waterproof tote bag. It's not as if he even claimed that he invented it, just that it was invented (even if "invented" is an odd phrase to use for a standard bag), but presumably he came up with the repurposing and organised the spoof game art for it. This is a really weird negative backlash that you don't see on the gaming t-shirt kickstarters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay.

Some of you have made good points. I've rethought this, and deleted my previous posts, as I think I may have been unfair.

I just had an immediate negative reaction to what looked like someone using a POD printer for a quick markup.

Reading in more detail (which I realize I should have done earlier), there is a setup fee associated with the custom logos, so I guess it is a legitimate project, even if the wording of the Kickstarter still strikes me as trying to pass off a batch print job as something custom-designed by and for boardgamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disagree. This is what Etsy, or a dropshipping storefront, is for - not KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Teague
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So I set out to make one that met the following requirements:
- Big - but still one-hand-able - carry 4-10 games depending on game
- Soft & squared - a material and shape that would be kind to my games
- Strong - I want to be able to abuse it without the handles ripping off
And thus the Game Night Bag was born.
Having manufacturing know-how I decided to make them for all of us!
To that end, I'm charging as little as I can to make these bags a reality for all of us.
Our local library is running a summer reading program. One of the prizes is a messenger bag with the library logo on it. These are the messenger bags:
https://www.4imprint.com/tag/98/Business-Bags/product/112965...
It's lucky the library system had someone on their staff who had the manufacturing know-how to invent a messenger bag so well designed for carrying books.

Listen, I'd be fine w/ the campaign if he was honest about it being nothing more than a bulk order for reusable grocery bags that also happen to work well for transporting games, with his art slapped on the front. But the chest-puffing I'm-an-inventor rhetoric... You made some art and know how to place an order to have said art printed on a large quantity of a thing. Congratulations?

It's printing t-shirts vs. inventing/designing a cheaper alternative for those who can't afford a Game Canopy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Do these bags already exist? I got the impression from reading your KS page that they do. If so, it would be really helpful to show a picture of one of the bags filled with games.

In the project video we unload them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
eugaet wrote:
Your video says you 'invented' these bags but...?

https://www.4imprint.com/product/101326-1513/Big-Thunder-Tot...

Yes, they're avail from Club Fantasci and InkHead.com as well. What I say was invented is the Game Night Bag - An affordable option with fun art.

If you read the "Why totes..." section you'll see I pretty much just hosting a massive group buy. If you got $395 to buy 100 of them for yourself, and the budget to handle shipping them to your friends, do it. If not, back the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your discussion here. I waited and replied today to experience what the community would say. I appreciate the deleted posts, and the support from others. To the few that have misunderstood my intentions or don't see the clarity in the project, I apologize.

John Wrot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

All Stretch Goals Unlocked!

4th Bag Added!

Final 48 hours...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
6 hours left. 2200% funded!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.