ManaSurge» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wizard Powers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonneh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a player is using Jayson of Marsani, his ability reads:

"You may take 1[x] to make the Spell skip you. This does not count as a [] play."

Given that the only rules text on Wizard powers is "All Wizard powers allow the player to break the rules in this rulebook to their advantage." I can only assume that his ability can technically be used every turn.

So in a two player game (and any other size game for that matter) Jayson of Marsani can continue to skip his turn until the other player is hit with the spell. We tried an entire game of this and found that it is impossible to win a 2 player game against this Wizard... are we doing something wrong?

So far we've found the wizards with damage manipulation to be simply unbalanced. Steverax Skyborn is also a little too powerful; as getting him to actually take damage becomes a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of Jayson I would say he can only skip once per spell.
So he skips and if the same spell comes back again, he can't skip it; he must play a card or be defeated.
In this way, the player has to think a bit when it's the best moment to skip a play.
If he can skip every turn, is not even fun to play; skipping every turn and letting always other players to be defeated by the spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonneh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should all wizard abilities be once per spell then? Or is this a proposed fix for Jayson?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Amado is clearly only once per spell since you can't be struck more than once by the same spell.
The same happens with Sha'carria and Steverax since the conditions to use their power won't happen more than once per spell.
Adeptus Corens, Mjauzik and Kisik and Xander and Sarastra are the only ones I see that can be repeated several times during the same spell if the conditions are met.
Xander's power has a big chance of being struck by the spell, so I don't see anybody abusing it to win.
Anyway, it would be good to hear what the designer had in mind with Jayson because if he can skip all the times he wants in a turn, I won't play it ever.
I see no fun in a player skipping always his turn so he's never struck by any spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonneh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. He is just too broken as he reads now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If he is always taking Damage, then he will eventually have to do a Rebirth and lose a Shard. The other player would be playing more cards and be able to do more Counter Spells and ManaSurges in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonneh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaiasvallejo42 wrote:
If he is always taking Damage, then he will eventually have to do a Rebirth and lose a Shard. The other player would be playing more cards and be able to do more Counter Spells and ManaSurges in the game.

We've put this to the test, and even with losing shards for rebirths, he still always wins due to spells NEVER hitting him. The other player just can't outpace him. I can record a play session with a friend if neccessary, but we tested it thoroughly. He's practically unbeatable in 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We are adjusting the rulebook now. I think what we will do is text a few more edge cases with Wizards here. I think the only solution will be what was suggested before: Make all Wizard powers "once per Spell".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.