Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Been wanting to show off the custom storage solution I made for my copy of Eldritch Horror plus all of the expansions. I made it out of a box I found at Hobby Lobby, some foam core, and a number of 50-card count plastic boxes.

Outside:

Opening the lid, maps and rulebooks fit in the area under the lid. Investigator and Great Old Ones sheets are in the space to the left, mini cards are in holders on the top left, while large cards are in holders on the right. All of plastic card holders contain each Great Old One's mystery and needed encounter cards (some doubled-up for space).

The token tray and card holders all come out for easy set-up and tear-down.

Finally, I labeled the Great Old One boxes to know which ones are in each box.

All in all, I really like this solution. It's allowed me to minimize shelf space and really cut down on the set-up and tear-down time. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone may have. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you know first hand that everything would fit into this box? Or did you just guess and lucked out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I actually made it just after getting Mountains of Madnes, but made sure to have extra room. Even with everything in there now, I probably have room for one more big box expansion since there's still one empty card holder. I basically laid everything out beforehand to get an idea what I wanted, then saw this box at Hobby Lobby that looked perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, how great is it to show up with that box at a board game get-together!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
randomlife wrote:
Plus, how great is it to show up with that box at a board game get-together!?

Definitely. I think the case feels very thematic. Looks like an old suitcase for traveling the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
California
flag msg tools
Do you make all the foam yourselves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
andrewaa wrote:
Do you make all the foam yourselves?

Yes, I designed and assembled all of the foam core dividers myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work, Michael.
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks fantastic! I got a similar case for Elder Sign and all expansions for 40% off, so it was about $17.00. No modifications were needed.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3064888/elder-sign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use a ton of deck boxes and some dollar cases for the game pieces. I keep the mini cards in rubber bands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i think i speak for everyone here when i say...

i can has?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
If anybody's interested, here's a link to the case on Hobby Lobby's website:

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Home-Decor-Frames/Decorative-Stora...

Looks like you have to buy it as part of a set online, but I was able to get just the large case that I used in store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sax11 wrote:
If anybody's interested, here's a link to the case on Hobby Lobby's website:

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Home-Decor-Frames/Decorative-Stora...

Looks like you have to buy it as part of a set online, but I was able to get just the large case that I used in store.

Thanks for the useful search term . Searching amazon.de for "decorative box" or "decorative storage" also turns up a number of potential candidates (none quite as thematic as the one shown in this thread, but some decent ones nonetheless).

e.g. https://www.amazon.de/Praktische-dekorative-Aufbewahrungsbox...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BRANDON PYE
United States
Gastonia
NC
flag msg tools
Thanks for the idea. I've been looking for a thematic storage solution and I think this is it! Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Hutchinson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I'm looking to do something similar and going to hobby lobby later today, did you also find the card holders and everything at hobby lobby or someplace else? A complete rundown of where you got everything and what would be most highly appreciated but I know that's asking a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Polysaccharide wrote:
I'm looking to do something similar and going to hobby lobby later today, did you also find the card holders and everything at hobby lobby or someplace else? A complete rundown of where you got everything and what would be most highly appreciated but I know that's asking a lot.

I got everything except the card boxes at Hobby Lobby. Those I got from Amazon. I believe they are all 50 card boxes. I can try to find a link if needed.

Edit: Here's the link https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AU7DAUA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Hutchinson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Sweet! Thanks!! So the actual holders the cards are all separated in are foam? I definitely wont be able to do that so just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Polysaccharide wrote:
Sweet! Thanks!! So the actual holders the cards are all separated in are foam? I definitely wont be able to do that so just curious.

Sorry, just saw this. Yes, the four card holders for the encounter and equipment/condition decks were also made out of foam. I was surprised how easy they actually were to make. Essentially just make a regular tray, but leave one side off, then throw a couple pieces of foam in the middle to make dividers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry to necro this thread, but had a few people ask about my case. I e been thinking about offering to make a few for sale. Would there be demand for something like this? If so, any ideas what an appropriate price would be? Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.