United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting this thread as a live FAQ for The Networks. I'll update this post as I get questions and requests for clarification.

Don't forget to check the end of the rulebook (pp. 18-19) for a card almanac with clarifications regarding most of the cards.

How many $1M tokens should there be? I count 72, but the rulebook says 75.
72 is the correct number. This will be updated in the rulebook for the next printing.

How is turn order determined?
Turn order is not determined by order of passing in the previous season! It is determined by fewest total viewers, with order of passing as a tiebreaker.

I wish I could play with Dramas in a 2-3 player game!
You can! Just remove Sitcoms and all the Stars relating only to Sitcoms instead. Be sure to leave the Former Comedian Gone Dramatic, as it still gets a bonus on Dramas.

If you want both, you can leave all Stars in, remove half the Sitcoms and half the Dramas, and consider Sitcom and Drama the same genre for the purposes of the Genre Bonus and the Good Branding card. I've never played this way before, but in theory, it should work.

May a player hold duplicate Network Cards, like two Good Branding cards?
Yes.

May I get the Genre Bonus multiple times, like if I get 3 Sports Shows after I get 3 Sitcoms?
Yes.

What's the deal with these Ads that say "? PM"?
These Ads want to be on a Show that is in the correct timeslot for the Show. That is, if you have a 9 pm Show, and it's on at 9 pm, then the Ad will go on its green side. But if you put that 9 pm Show on at 8 or 10 pm, then the Ad will go on its gray side.

What's the deal with Stars and Ads that want Stars and Ads in my Green Room when I put the show on?
These Stars and Ads go on their good side if you have at least one Star or an Ad (depending on the card) in your Green Room at the moment you put the Show in your Lineup.

You only evaluate this condition the moment you put the show on. If your Green Room empties later in the game, you do not have to rotate the card to its gray side.

When I get a Star or an Ad from a Genre Bonus, can I immediately add it to the new Show?
No, Stars and Ads acquired from Genre Bonuses must go straight to your Green Room.

If I have to rotate a Star with upkeep to its gray side, must I still pay the upkeep cost?
No. There's no upkeep printed on the Star's gray side, so there's no need to pay upkeep for it at the end of the season.

Can I combo Split Season and Flexible Schedule?
No, you can only play Flexible Schedule at the end of a Season.

Can I use All-Star Cast to add 2 Stars to a Show that doesn't take Stars normally?

Yes. It's especially powerful on Sports Shows with a Promo; you can get over 20 Viewers out of a single time slot!

Can I use Investigative Journalism to force a player to rotate a Star or Ad that does not have a gray side to make them useless?

No, you may only use Investigative Journalism on Stars or Ads with conditions.

When I hit 5 Shows of the same Genre, do I have the money-to-Viewers conversion immediately, or can I do it at any point later in the game?
You must do it immediately.

Why are the On the Air Network Cards missing icons in the upper-right?
My fault. The icons should be: Reboot and Network Shakeup are "1x", Lawsuit is "!".

The Popular but Unpredictable Actor gets rotated if he's attached in anything but Seasons 2 or 4. Is that Season 2 or 4 in the game, or Season 2 or 4 of the show he's on?
Season 2 or 4 of the game.

Do the Reality Show Vote Collector and Fierce Drag Queen count as Ads on anything other than Reality Shows?
No, they're just ordinary Stars on anything that's not a Reality Show. They go on their gray sides on any Show that's not Reality.

Do the Reality Show Vote Collector and Fierce Drag Queen count as both Stars and Ads for the purposes of the Awards Show card?
No, they are just considered Stars for the purposes of the Awards Show card, even if they're on a Reality Show at the end of the game.

What happens when both Clip Show and Corporate Espionage are played at the same time?
First, the player playing Clip Show uses it to discard Clip Show instead of their used 1x card. Then, the player playing Corporate Espionage may spend $3M to pick up the discarded Clip Show card.

Do Stars count at the end of the game or not?
Stars on Shows in your lineup score normally during Season 5 and the extra endgame scoring. Stars in your Green Room score 1 Viewer each. (This was not worded well in the rulebook; I will clarify in the next printing!)

Exactly what Shows and Stars are being parodied?
I can answer that question! The Shows are, in order, a*WE INTERRUPT THIS FAQ FOR A TEST OF THE EMERGENCY BROADCAST SYSTEM. THIS IS ONLY A TEST. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. THANK YOU. THIS HAS BEEN A TEST OF THE EMERGENCY BROADCAST SYSTEM. THIS HAS ONLY BEEN A TEST.*z. Phew, that was a lot of typing, glad I won't ever have to do that again in my entire life!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the game. Glad I preordered it after missing the KS. Anyway, just wanted to get clarification on Genre Bonuses. Do you get the genre bonuses only the first time you reach 3 and 5 genres or every time you reach 3 and 5 genres.

In my first game, a player had 2 reality shows and 2 sports shows. We played that they got the genre bonus when they got their third reality show and again when they got their third sports show, picking up 5 additional viewers each time (plus the choice of cards to draw).

The rulebook doesn't limit it to only once, but the wording used can be a little confusing as to whether you can get the bonus multiple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkranex wrote:
Love the game. Glad I preordered it after missing the KS. Anyway, just wanted to get clarification on Genre Bonuses. Do you get the genre bonuses only the first time you reach 3 and 5 genres or every time you reach 3 and 5 genres.

In my first game, a player had 2 reality shows and 2 sports shows. We played that they got the genre bonus when they got their third reality show and again when they got their third sports show, picking up 5 additional viewers each time (plus the choice of cards to draw).

The rulebook doesn't limit it to only once, but the wording used can be a little confusing as to whether you can get the bonus multiple times.

You played correctly; you get the genre bonus every time you get to 3 or 5 shows of the same genre.

Glad you're enjoying the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Layton
United States
Pennsauken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Is a player allowed to hold and activate more than one of the SAME EXACT end game points Network Card? I do not see anything specifically in the rules that prohibits this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keithl4170 wrote:
Is a player allowed to hold and activate more than one of the SAME EXACT end game points Network Card? I do not see anything specifically in the rules that prohibits this.

Yes, this is allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Heath
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
youtube.com/c/slickerdrips
badge
There's a new sheriff in town
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:

Yes, this is allowed.

Phew, a lot of my solo scores rely on this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for putting all of this up my friend !! I am printing all of this out and putting it in the game box !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Kyrkos
United States
Sunnyside
New York
flag msg tools
This fucking guy is destroying our National fucking Parks
badge
It was the Police Patrols, snooping into people’s windows. The patrols did not matter however. Only the Thought Police mattered.
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing Audition, you draw from the deck, correct? In a game I played it was suggested that it could be interpreted that you take from the available stars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schoner
United States
Marietta
GA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As a matter of fact, I AM the boss of you.
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Network card that gives an end-game bonus for all shows of one selected genre, does that count only currently airing shows, or are shows in Reruns and Archives included?

(Sorry I don't have the card name handy, I'm posting from work. Shh!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bschoner wrote:
For the Network card that gives an end-game bonus for all shows of one selected genre, does that count only currently airing shows, or are shows in Reruns and Archives included?

(Sorry I don't have the card name handy, I'm posting from work. Shh!)

All shows, including Reruns and Archives. Now get back to work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mintylish wrote:
When playing Audition, you draw from the deck, correct? In a game I played it was suggested that it could be interpreted that you take from the available stars.

Aaah, I missed this question! Yes, for Audition, you draw the top card from the deck, not any of the available face-up stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I can't remember the name of the Network card, but it's the one that lets you add two additional stars to a show when you develop it or take an "add star" action.

Does the show have to support stars to begin with?

Or can "two additional" be added to the "zero" stars that you can add to a show?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
Sorry I can't remember the name of the Network card, but it's the one that lets you add two additional stars to a show when you develop it or take an "add star" action.

Does the show have to support stars to begin with?

Or can "two additional" be added to the "zero" stars that you can add to a show?

That's All-Star Cast, and yes, you can use it to add Stars to a Show that doesn't normally take Stars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Duffield
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
For the Genre bonuses. Would you get any bonus at 6 or 7 or 8 shows of the same Genre?

Thanks.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HDTVDave wrote:
For the Genre bonuses. Would you get any bonus at 6 or 7 or 8 shows of the same Genre?

Thanks.

Dave

Nope, it caps out at 5. But if you get the Good Branding network card, you'll score for continuing to collect genres past 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Knodel
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For "Investigative Journalism", can you force a player to rotate a star that does not have a second side? IE, make them useless?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knodel wrote:
For "Investigative Journalism", can you force a player to rotate a star that does not have a second side? IE, make them useless?

No, it must be a star or ad with a condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Rice
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah thank you for this clarification. Just last night I had a question regarding the investigative journalism card and it appears we played it correctly. The group enjoyed the game quite a bit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you can't pay all upkeep costs in money, pay it in viewers. Is that 1 Viewer to $1 MM or 3 Viewers to $4 MM (as it is with the genre 5 bonus)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 1 for 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, keep in mind that if you can't afford upkeep, you must pay it ALL in Viewers. So if you need $4M at the end of the season and only have $3M, you don't pay $3M and lose a Viewer; you keep your $3M and lose 4 Viewers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:
Also, keep in mind that if you can't afford upkeep, you must pay it ALL in Viewers. So if you need $4M at the end of the season and only have $3M, you don't pay $3M and lose a Viewer; you keep your $3M and lose 4 Viewers.

I love this mechanic. No partial payment - all cash or all viewers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
IngredientX wrote:

I love this mechanic. No partial payment - all cash or all viewers.

Not only does it increase the risk of missing payment, it also makes sure players don't lose viewers and enter the following season completely broke. That would be a double whammy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gil & players!
I've just acquired the game (2nd printing) and am starting my first solo game now.
I have a question on the starting money for the 1-player game.
The rules state "Each player takes an amount of starting money indicated on the Right Scoring Track, depending on their turn order. The first player should take the lower amount of money [...]"

Two questions from there.
- I assume "the" only player in the 1-player game is the first player, and thus out of the five turn order starting money possible (9M-5M), I should take only 5M. Is this correct?
- Above that is a space that reads "START WITH +$5M". Err... I'm confused because the rules don't refer to that, even if it seems this is present on other tracks too. What is this for? Should I start with $10M in the solo game then?

Thank you for your help!
Have a nice play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.