United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Start with $5M" on the player board is a reminder that in the solo game, the player starts with $5M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gil!

EDIT: Wait, you're answering questions on a game you've released quite some time back, on a Sunday no less. My, if you were a Designer card, I'd say you've filled in the "overhours" and the "dedicated" conditions, thus developping a Board Game that will grant you 10000 players in first year! (We definitely need this game. )

I did that right for my first play and just scored 277 points. Yay me!
On the flip side I missed a last-minute 10-point optimization,and didn't get any of the intermediate "remove a cube if you have at least X viewers". These seem to be demanding targets - but interesting ones to benchmark myself with, as intermediate milestones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herman92 wrote:
Thanks Gil!

EDIT: Wait, you're answering questions on a game you've released quite some time back, on a Sunday no less. My, if you were a Designer card, I'd say you've filled in the "overhours" and the "dedicated" conditions, thus developping a Board Game that will grant you 10000 players in first year! (We definitely need this game. )

I did that right for my first play and just scored 277 points. Yay me!
On the flip side I missed a last-minute 10-point optimization,and didn't get any of the intermediate "remove a cube if you have at least X viewers". These seem to be demanding targets - but intersting ones to benchmark myself with, as intermediate milestones.

Hey, this is what I do, so I'm happy to help! Good to see you rocking your first solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hayward
msg tools
mbmb
I got the game and the on the air expansion at uk games expo and I am really enjoying it so far.

In the expansion there are some blank cards and I was wondering if there were any guidelines on what should go on those as I am not really sure what to do with them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameshayward671 wrote:
I got the game and the on the air expansion at uk games expo and I am really enjoying it so far.

In the expansion there are some blank cards and I was wondering if there were any guidelines on what should go on those as I am not really sure what to do with them yet.

The blank cards are totally up to you! Fill them with whatever you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DT Strain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
IngredientX wrote:
Also, keep in mind that if you can't afford upkeep, you must pay it ALL in Viewers. So if you need $4M at the end of the season and only have $3M, you don't pay $3M and lose a Viewer; you keep your $3M and lose 4 Viewers.

Hi Gil - loved the game!

I feel funny sounding like I'm debating the maker of the game, but technically the rules don't say you pay the "upkeep" in viewers. Perhaps you really meant that to be so, in which case you may want to correct the wording in the rule book. But I'm going to lay it all out here for others and because my game group had a big debate about this. I'd love to hear your response, thanks!...

===================

I will quote every part of the rules exactly as written (emphasis mine) with commentary in between...

RULES:
Quote:
"At the end of each Season, you will gain or lose money according to your income and expenses. Any Ads you have attached to Shows will provide *income*. Some shows in your lineup... and Stars attached to those shows require you to pay *upkeep*."

As it describes the cards, it provides two distinct terms:

-Income (the black numbers on the right side of the cards)
-Upkeep (the red numbers on the right side of the cards)

RULES (continued):
Quote:
"If your total income is positive, collect it as money from the bank."

Here, however, the term "total income" (as opposed to just "income") is used. It refers to it being positive (and later negative). This means that while income is the black numbers on the cards (and can never be negative), "total income" must be the total of the black numbers and red numbers, meaning it can be positive or negative. This is the defining of a third term:

-Total Income (black numbers on the cards, minus the red numbers on the cards)

RULES (continued):
Quote:
"If your total income is negative, it is expenses and you must pay it to the bank."

Here we have the defining of a fourth term:

-Expenses (total income, when it is negative)

Note that *expenses* as the rules define it above, is different from *upkeep*. If you have black numbers totaling to 5 and red numbers totaling to 8, then your upkeep is 8, and your expenses is 3 (5-8=-3).

RULES (continued):
Quote:
"If you do not have enough money to pay, keep all your money and pay your *expenses* entirely in viewers!"

Note that it says you must pay your *expenses* in viewers (the remaining debt after accounting for your black numbers) and it does not say you must pay your *upkeep* in viewers (the total of the red cards).

~~~
So, for example, suppose you had:

$5 in black cards
-$8 in red cards
and $2 in cash in your possession

According to the rules as written and the terms as defined by the rules, your upkeep is $8, but your expenses is $3 (5-8=3).

Therefore, you must pay $3 - BUT, you only have $2. So, you must keep your $2 and instead lose 3 points in viewers. This is "keeping all your money and paying your *expenses* entirely in viewers" as the rules state.

I think the word "entirely" is what throws people off. They imagine it's referring to the entirety of the red cards. But that is not the meaning of the sentence. Rather, as written, it means that in this example, you would not pay your $2, and then lose 1 point in viewers. But that you would keep all your $2, and lose the entirety of the *expenses* (all $3) in viewers.

If the rules had stated that you must pay your "upkeep entirely in viewers" then we would keep the $2 and lose 8 points in viewers. But this would then beg the question of whether we should be able then to collect the $5 in black points on the card, since we didn't get *any* of the viewership. Since that is not mentioned, it seems likely that the rules did indeed intend the person pay $3.

Thanks,
Daniel
PS - My brother said the rules were unclear, but they really aren't. They are very clear and technically can only have this one meaning as written - if broken down into logical operations. Rather than 'unclear', I would say they are 'complex'. Probably a single example of a bad debt situation would have simplified things. Again, maybe you intended the rules to work the other way, in which case I hope you'll let us know and would then be aware the wording in the rule book should be corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback! I'll take a look at tightening that section up next time we get the chance to make revisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DTStrain wrote:
IngredientX wrote:
Also, keep in mind that if you can't afford upkeep, you must pay it ALL in Viewers. So if you need $4M at the end of the season and only have $3M, you don't pay $3M and lose a Viewer; you keep your $3M and lose 4 Viewers.

Hi Gil - loved the game!

I feel funny sounding like I'm debating the maker of the game, but technically the rules don't say you pay the "upkeep" in viewers. Perhaps you really meant that to be so, in which case you may want to correct the wording in the rule book. But I'm going to lay it all out here for others and because my game group had a big debate about this. I'd love to hear your response, thanks!...

===================

I will quote every part of the rules exactly as written (emphasis mine) with commentary in between...

RULES:
Quote:
"At the end of each Season, you will gain or lose money according to your income and expenses. Any Ads you have attached to Shows will provide *income*. Some shows in your lineup... and Stars attached to those shows require you to pay *upkeep*."

As it describes the cards, it provides two distinct terms:

-Income (the black numbers on the right side of the cards)
-Upkeep (the red numbers on the right side of the cards)

RULES (continued):
Quote:
"If your total income is positive, collect it as money from the bank."

Here, however, the term "total income" (as opposed to just "income") is used. It refers to it being positive (and later negative). This means that while income is the black numbers on the cards (and can never be negative), "total income" must be the total of the black numbers and red numbers, meaning it can be positive or negative. This is the defining of a third term:

-Total Income (black numbers on the cards, minus the red numbers on the cards)

RULES (continued):
Quote:
"If your total income is negative, it is expenses and you must pay it to the bank."

Here we have the defining of a fourth term:

-Expenses (total income, when it is negative)

Note that *expenses* as the rules define it above, is different from *upkeep*. If you have black numbers totaling to 5 and red numbers totaling to 8, then your upkeep is 8, and your expenses is 3 (5-8=-3).

RULES (continued):
Quote:
"If you do not have enough money to pay, keep all your money and pay your *expenses* entirely in viewers!"

Note that it says you must pay your *expenses* in viewers (the remaining debt after accounting for your black numbers) and it does not say you must pay your *upkeep* in viewers (the total of the red cards).

~~~
So, for example, suppose you had:

$5 in black cards
-$8 in red cards
and $2 in cash in your possession

According to the rules as written and the terms as defined by the rules, your upkeep is $8, but your expenses is $3 (5-8=3).

Therefore, you must pay $3 - BUT, you only have $2. So, you must keep your $2 and instead lose 3 points in viewers. This is "keeping all your money and paying your *expenses* entirely in viewers" as the rules state.

I think the word "entirely" is what throws people off. They imagine it's referring to the entirety of the red cards. But that is not the meaning of the sentence. Rather, as written, it means that in this example, you would not pay your $2, and then lose 1 point in viewers. But that you would keep all your $2, and lose the entirety of the *expenses* (all $3) in viewers.

If the rules had stated that you must pay your "upkeep entirely in viewers" then we would keep the $2 and lose 8 points in viewers. But this would then beg the question of whether we should be able then to collect the $5 in black points on the card, since we didn't get *any* of the viewership. Since that is not mentioned, it seems likely that the rules did indeed intend the person pay $3.

Thanks,
Daniel
PS - My brother said the rules were unclear, but they really aren't. They are very clear and technically can only have this one meaning as written - if broken down into logical operations. Rather than 'unclear', I would say they are 'complex'. Probably a single example of a bad debt situation would have simplified things. Again, maybe you intended the rules to work the other way, in which case I hope you'll let us know and would then be aware the wording in the rule book should be corrected.

I'm a rules lawyer and I think you guys are over-analyzing this...

It's pretty clear what the intention is in the rules...

At the end of the season your Network will generate a profit or will have a deficit... If it a profit you receive that value... if it's a deficit you have to pay it in full... if you can't pay it in full with money you keep all your money and pay it all in viewers.

Profit= Revenue - Expenses (in which the Revenue is higher then the Expenses)

Deficit= Revenue - Expenses (in which the Revenue is lower then the Expenses)

The rules are clear and you guys are making it much more complicated trying to over -analyse terms and give them different meanings than what it's clearly the intention in the rules... keep it simple!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DT Strain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Muse23PT wrote:

The rules are clear and you guys are making it much more complicated trying to over -analyse terms and give them different meanings than what it's clearly the intention in the rules... keep it simple!

But you just agreed. In my example, the player loses 3 viewers, not 8 right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DT Strain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
IngredientX wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! I'll take a look at tightening that section up next time we get the chance to make revisions.

Thanks much! But in the meantime can you tell us which way to play? In my example does the player lose 8 viewers or 3? Thanks much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DTStrain wrote:
IngredientX wrote:

Thanks much! But in the meantime can you tell us which way to play? In my example does the player lose 8 viewers or 3? Thanks much

You lose 3 Viewers. Your "upkeep" is the net of your income and expenses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's just anecdotal evidence at this point, but I have to say that I have never had any problem interpreting this rule.

I've always done either net income or net upkeep, depending on whether it was plus or minus after calculating the total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DTStrain wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

What I don't know is why you ever thought you would have to pay 8 viewers... you have to receive or pay the difference between Revenue and Expenses that is clearly expressed in the rules, and even if it wasn't that's how things work in life...

Let's imagine that we both knew each other and we made two online orders in two different stores... I was buying in one store and you were buying in another and we decided to take advantage of that fact to save on shipping... so I asked you to include something in your order for me that costs €20 and you asked me to include something in my order that cost €25.

the natural thing to do here is that you then pay me €5 to settle the score... it's not normal that I give you €20 and then you give me €25 or vice versa...

Like I said, I'm a rules Lawyer and even I think you guys were reading toooooooooo much into this... it's very simple and it's very well explained in the rules, so much so that the game has been out for quite some time now and this was the first time I heard anyone question this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Muse23PT wrote:
Let's imagine that we both knew each other and we made two online orders in two different stores... I was buying in one store and you were buying in another and we decided to take advantage of that fact to save on shipping... so I asked you to include something in your order for me that costs €20 and you asked me to include something in my order that cost €25.

the natural thing to do here is that you then pay me €5 to settle the score...
Man, I'd pay you €2,50. Tops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DT Strain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
IngredientX wrote:
DTStrain wrote:
IngredientX wrote:

You lose 3 Viewers. Your "upkeep" is the net of your income and expenses.

Thanks Gil!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DT Strain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Muse23PT wrote:
DTStrain wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

What I don't know is why you ever thought you would have to pay 8 viewers...

Just to be clear, I never thought we should pay 8 viewers. Paying 3 makes total sense to me and seemed obvious.

It was two friends who thought that. Why they thought it, I couldn't say for certain. But I think they got confused because of the part where it is saying if you can't pay the whole thing, keep all your money and pay the "entire" amount in viewers. That word "entire" made them think it meant all of the red numbers, not just the net. But I agree with you, paying 8 didn't seem to make sense.

Thanks everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Tappan Mora
United States
WINTER GARDEN
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
From a contracts law perspective, keep the rules as is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.