Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Machina Arcana» Forums » General

Subject: What's going on with this game? Website down, Facebook not updated... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I stumbled here, found out that Machina Arcana looks interesting and then hit a wall. It seems that the company has gone under. Does someone know what is going on?

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well they mentioned working on an expansion. But don't take my word for it.
Juraj lurks here from time to time so I think he'll give you some real information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Hauteclocque
msg tools
I noticed the same thing because I wanted to order a t-shirt from them.

If you visit their facebook site you can message them and they're very quick to give a polite and sometimes hilarious response. There is a rumor of an expansion in the works and I hope that means they will be reprinting the original as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
That's the problem when the project depends so much on one person, and in my case the combination of my own baby monster, and a demanding job slows the work on my game.
And it is slowed, not halted!

The web is rewritten from the scratch, 2 more sections and it's good to go.
All the monsters except Nightgaunt have been redrawn from scratch - they look awesome and they're ready for being immortalised into miniatures.
The rules / manual are also being worked on to make the game easier to understand and learn - the schematics and erratas are there.
Upgrades to the game components, from new manufacturer, less component types, and improvements to the graphic design is also closing to its finish line.
New content (except illustrations) is done; something that I hope will really improve all the things that makes Machina Arcana so interesting (non-linear scenarios, short and smart chapters being some of the novelties).

The bottom line is that even though I'm not working full-time on the game, when I do work, I'm putting my soul into it.
The idea is to produce the best horror story driven crawler there is (my masterwork), and I'm not cutting corners. Unfortunately for the fans that means the time is not a constraint (as it was with the Kickstarter).
By the way, I'm still standing by my unofficial date around the end of this year.

Thanks to all of you dear people who are still keeping the flame, I know that you will enjoy your deaths in the final opus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for jumping in so quick Juraj. I really appreciate your responses and time on this game. Hopefully, we'll get to enjoy new twisted creations from your brilliant mind in the future.

Whenever I bring out Machina Aracana at game days people always want to buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hickey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Very cool!
Thanks for the update! I've been curious about this game & have wanted a copy of it for some time now. Glad to hear that there will be a reprint. I will definitely be looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update!
So we'll see the kickstarter by the end of the year? I like the sound of that!
Thanks for not compromising your vision. We can wait for the expansion and 2.0 version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize there was an unofficial date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the 1.0 owners? There will be conversion kit or we need to buy the 2.0 ? Hope not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asipu wrote:
That's the problem when the project depends so much on one person, and in my case the combination of my own baby monster, and a demanding job slows the work on my game.

Thanks for the official answer and update. One man can do only so much. Looking forward of the KS.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Unbekannt
msg tools
Asipu wrote:

The web is rewritten from the scratch, 2 more sections and it's good to go.
All the monsters except Nightgaunt have been redrawn from scratch - they look awesome and they're ready for being immortalised into miniatures.
The rules / manual are also being worked on to make the game easier to understand and learn - the schematics and erratas are there.
Upgrades to the game components, from new manufacturer, less component types, and improvements to the graphic design is also closing to its finish line.
New content (except illustrations) is done; something that I hope will really improve all the things that makes Machina Arcana so interesting (non-linear scenarios, short and smart chapters being some of the novelties).

The bottom line is that even though I'm not working full-time on the game, when I do work, I'm putting my soul into it.
The idea is to produce the best horror story driven crawler there is (my masterwork), and I'm not cutting corners. Unfortunately for the fans that means the time is not a constraint (as it was with the Kickstarter).
By the way, I'm still standing by my unofficial date around the end of this year.

Thanks to all of you dear people who are still keeping the flame, I know that you will enjoy your deaths in the final opus.

Thanks a lot for your statement :-) Thought the processing stopped but know im really glad to hear that it's still going on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mailok wrote:
What about the 1.0 owners? There will be conversion kit or we need to buy the 2.0 ? Hope not

We enjoy the game very much as it is (rules, the way equipment works, standees, everything). So I would actually like to ask if there will be a way to join in on the new project, but then just for any new content that is compatible with the first printing without the need for a conversion kit.

I understand if new monsters and explorers for example won't be compatible, but hopefully something like new chapters, scenarios or map tiles will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Have you listened to our YouTube Podcast "Die Nische" yet? :)
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be great to have an upgrade kit. BUt - I have to be honest here. This game is so great that Juraj and the game itself deserves it to be supported in its whole when it hits Kickstarter with version 2.0 again.

I will never forget the meeting with you, Juraj, in Essen. I really appreciated the conversion with you there.

I hope that we will see the future development of Machina Arcana this year and that it will have the bgi success to hit the retail market then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
An overview of some changes in relation to 1.0:

Card rule text

I want to structure the game mechanics in a simpler way, not to change it.
There will be a LOT of card erratas because of that, but the idea behind the rule text will stay the same.

Example: Tind'losi hound ability; before:
On incoming attack, it reduces attack roll by attacker's current essence.
now:
If blocking: reduce attack roll by attacker's current essence.
(the bold part is part of the new design)

Game content

Almost everything regarding the rules/numbers on the cards will stay the same except a few tweaks on the existing chapter cards.

Graphic design

Every card type will be upgraded a bit, nothing drastic - it's possible some people won't even notice the change. Additionally, monster cards will have a different hue color, depending on the monster level, which will be reflected on the monster figures as well.

Oh and did I mention the monster illustrations are all new? whistle
My main focus was to have them as unique as possible, and I can't be more pleased with Hrvoje's work!

Not only cards will be upgraded, some tokens as well. Also, for now I'm determined to drop the barrier token altogether, and to just use door token instead.
Please don't even mention the plastic stands, even monsters can't stand them.

Conversion kit?
There is no need for one because the changes are just aesthetic in nature, but they will cover every game component.
What's important for me is that old players will be able to play new scenarios without any problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice teaser!
The more I hear the more I look forward to the campaign!
I'll definitely back the new version of the game. Not that I need it, but it sounds cool with the new artwork. And I guess you can do with another backer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herr Flik
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am excited to hear that there will be a 2.0. Will definetely pick up a copy to go with my original
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we 1.0 owner should be "safe" from the changes, but you wrote about miniatures, do you plan to make them purchasable for old owners? Do you changed the ks exclusive stuff too? My questions are to figure out if I should sell the 1.0 now and buy the 2.0 when it will come, it's a gamble right now because we still don't know how the KS will be and if it will be a success or not, it could end with less stuff then the first KS or excessively priced (I still remmeber the 80 euro of the 1.0 version, I never spend so much for just cardboard game without miniatures )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
a) For the miniatures I'm planning a special box, so you will decide if you want them or not. That box will have JUST miniatures, not even monster cards, so there could be a discrepancy where you have the old game with old monster illustrations, but with new miniatures.

b) KS exclusives from previous KS are limited to that KS, so that means I will not use that content in the future. Who has it: great, rest: sorry.

c) It was 75! And beside the cardboard game, you also received a piece of un͙͖͓͕͘ͅs͕̜p̙̮͟e҉aḱ̠̬̜͓ạ̺̖̯ͅb̮̦̗̺̹̦͢l͏̺e̶̗̬͉̬ ̞̱͉̼̪͢c҉̬͙̪̞h̲͈̲͚̀á̻o̯s̘̳̫̩̝̱ so there's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asipu wrote:
a) For the miniatures I'm planning a special box, so you will decide if you want them or not. That box will have JUST miniatures, not even monster cards, so there could be a discrepancy where you have the old game with old monster illustrations, but with new miniatures.

b) KS exclusives from previous KS are limited to that KS, so that means I will not use that content in the future. Who has it: great, rest: sorry.

c) It was 75! And beside the cardboard game, you also received a piece of un͙͖͓͕͘ͅs͕̜p̙̮͟e҉aḱ̠̬̜͓ạ̺̖̯ͅb̮̦̗̺̹̦͢l͏̺e̶̗̬͉̬ ̞̱͉̼̪͢c҉̬͙̪̞h̲͈̲͚̀á̻o̯s̘̳̫̩̝̱ so there's that.

Juraj, thank you for your passion and continued involvement in this game. Even without miniatures this game always turns heads when I bring it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just gotta say... "un͙͖͓͕͘ͅs͕̜p̙̮͟e҉aḱ̠̬̜͓ạ̺̖̯ͅb̮̦̗̺̹̦͢l͏̺e̶̗̬͉̬ ̞̱͉̼̪͢c҉̬͙̪̞h̲͈̲͚̀á̻o̯s̘̳̫̩̝̱" is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it. I will go ALL-IN. Machina Arcana is a product of passion and I have fallen in love with it.

Do you visit ESSEN this year, Juraj?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hey Sebastian what's up with you my man?
Ah nothing from Essen this year I'm afraid, started working at Facebook so my free time dwindled even more..
We might visit casually, in which case I'll keep you posted.

Just to keep you guys interested sharing a new picture of Byakhee, hope you like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That Byakhee looks awesome!
But isn't it a bit too different from what Lovecraft described:

Quote:
...there flopped rhythmically a horde of tame, trained, hybrid winged things that no sound eye could ever wholly grasp, or sound brain ever wholly remember. They were not altogether crows, nor moles, nor buzzards, nor ants, nor vampire bats, nor decomposed human beings; but something I cannot and must not recall. They flopped limply along, half with their webbed feet and half with their membranous wings; and as they reached the throng of celebrants...

Or am I being too anal about the lore?

Edit: Fixed the phone's autocorrections
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome art.
It is a hard time of waiting for your next Machina Arcana installment.
This game is so awesome.

I have to play it right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Billups
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just broke this out and played it tonight. Planning on sharing it with a friend tomorrow.

Exciting news about the new version. I have to admit I always liked the Character art a lot more than the Monsters, so that's pretty cool that the Monsters are getting an overhaul.

I know Juraj said the conversion kit is not necessary, but I'm there are those of us who would want the new Monster cards and probably other stuff as well. I guess we'll have to wait for the Kickstarter to see exactly what is new, but if you put together some kind of conversion kit it would only increase funding for the new version.

When I played tonight I used my Dungeon Saga furniture for the barrels, workbench, and doors. That was pretty cool.

Also, please include some kind of player aid that has all of the icons. That would be helpful for those of us that may go months in between playing. I always marvel at how good this game is when I play it, but I don't break it out that often due to length and having to relearn the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.