Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What follows is a review of the components for Valley of the Kings: Afterlife in addition to a look at exactly what you'll see when you rip off the shrink wrap! You can find my other “A Look In The Box” reviews here. While this review is for Afterlife, a the other expandalone versions: Valley of the Kings, and Valley of the Kings: Last Rites will likely have similar components.

The box is similar to AEG's other small box offerings such as their Lost Legacy series. The box is very sturdy, and unlike other small boxes (here's looking at you Viticulture: Moor Visitors!) the cutaways make it very easy to open.

Opening up the box, you'l find cards divided by a simple cardboard divider and a rulebook. The divider is simple, but effective. I like to store my starter decks and reference cards on one side of the divider and the game deck on the other. There is even enough room to store two different Valley of the Kings games in the box side by side if you have one of the expansions or the base game and Afterlife. This being said, I definitely don't think the box is too big for it's components, it's just right!

The rulebook is fantastic, explaining the phases of the game, and the mechanics in a very easy to understand manner. There's a glossary of game terms (something that should be in every rulebook!) and an overview of some of the more complicated cards and how they work. The crowning jewel for the rulebook, however, is the back cover, which provides a quick setup guide and and overview of the game to refresh your memory next time you play. This is great, no more flipping through the rules trying to jog your memory! Maybe professors should design more board games!

The game comes with a starter deck, tomb, and reference card for each player, shown below. The reference card displays much of the same text that the back of the rulebook displays, including game end conditions. The cards are attractive, useful, and even educational! The flavor text on each card tells you a little bit about the items on the cards.

Each "set" of cards is clearly marked with a different color, making it easy to see what you want on the table with a glance. The cardstock is very nice and thick as well. All in all, I have no complaints about the design or material of the cards.

The components, while simple, are fantastic for Valley of the Kings: Afterlife, and they make a great game even better! If you like what you see, pick up a copy for yourself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark,

Thanks for your kind words about my game. Valley of the Kings: Last Rites will be released at Gen Con.

Tom Cleaver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Mark, any chance you could compare it to the first box?

Tom, As someone just coming into this and realizing that 50% of each of the three boxes is identical, do you have any guidelines for which one to get first sort of "If you like X get Afterlife. If you like Y get Last Rites."

Also, do you think there might be an AEG 'big box with 208 cards for all three sets in one box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
systomx wrote:
Mark,

Thanks for your kind words about my game. Valley of the Kings: Last Rites will be released at Gen Con.

Tom Cleaver

Looking forward to it Tom!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Mark, any chance you could compare it to the first box?

While I don't own the first box, I would imagine they are very comparable. Here's an image from the first box from BGG:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Tom, As someone just coming into this and realizing that 50% of each of the three boxes is identical, do you have any guidelines for which one to get first sort of "If you like X get Afterlife. If you like Y get Last Rites."

Also, do you think there might be an AEG 'big box with 208 cards for all three sets in one box?

Actually, Valley of the Kings: Last Rites has all new cards, not 50% new, as in the other two versions. That said, some people think the Afterlife expansion is easier for newbies. In the original game, some new players found themselves without enough cash when the more expensive cards started to come out. That problem was addressed in Afterlife. Also, Afterlife is a bit less attack-oriented than the original.

Thanks for your question.

Tom Cleaver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:

What a good idea! I'll bring it up with AEG management.

Tom Cleaver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.