GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,405 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Age of Ultron» Forums » General

Subject: Just bought Age of Ultron 2P Starter Set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was on clearance at Walgreens for $8 and I thought, what the heck?

I watched Tom Vasel's review and then Rodney Smith's play through video and its seems fun and fast but I couldn't help getting the feeling that it could be Magic:The Dice Game.....

I played Magic from 1996 til about 2 years ago and one of the reasons I got out was the collectability part, the push it of that special rare card and the ridiculous attitude prevalent in the Magic tournament community.

I really like this little did game but I'll probably not be taking the plunge down the money hole for it so my question is:

What do you really like about this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lewis
United States
Cedar Falls
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What drew me to the game was the comic book theme. I'm a DC guy, and my son is more into Marvel, so we each purchased a starter and boosters in our own theme. As we get duplicates, we pass them to each other, so that I now have a substantial set of Marvel dice and he's got a bunch of DC.

The collectibility of the game is huge in keeping me around, though. I do really like opening a new booster (we each open two every time we play) and seeing if new cards open new strategies I hadn't thought of before. I think trying to play with only a starter set would get boring pretty quickly - not enough variety to keep me interested. There's a happy medium to be found; maybe grab a set of Commons off eBay?

One nice thing I've found: the best cards are not necessarily the rare cards. A person can spend a lot of money chasing down the rare and super-rare cards if they enjoy that, but it doesn't mean that they will dominate you at the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'm in the same position as killerjoe1962, and I plan to do precisely what IcculusTheWise suggests: buying a set of common/uncommon cards and their corresponding dice on EBay. I play Magic purely casually (EDH ftw) so I expect that I'll enjoy this just the same way as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.