Subject: Best dice/card game adaptations of longer games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As much as I would love to play many of the great longer games (and I'm talking about games that take over 2 hours to play), the reality is that I usually don't have the time nor the willing participants to play them.

Naturally then, I am curious about board games that have inspired dice or card spin off games that take some of the essence of the game that inspired them but condense them down into more manageable play times.

However, from what I've read, some seem to be more successful than others. Can anyone recommend any? I don't mind if the adaptation becomes quite a different game in its own right, as long as it is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i really enjoy Discoveries: The Journals of Lewis and Clark, sort of a dice re-imagining of Lewis & Clark that is a fair bit quicker to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG! The Dice Game makes BANG! completely irrelevant. It's faster, whereas Bang can drag on and on. Yet it captures the same feeling perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like San Juan, which is based off Puerto Rico. Both are great games, but San Juan doesn't take nearly so long as its bigger brother. Since you like Race for the Galaxy, you might want to give this one a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Nations: The Dice Game, but some people don't. It's supposed to have an expansion coming out this year to improve replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain: Microcosm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcarmeeple wrote:
i really enjoy Discoveries: The Journals of Lewis and Clark, sort of a dice re-imagining of Lewis & Clark that is a fair bit quicker to play.

Both of these are fine games with L&C being one of my favourites. L&C is a hand management racing game with engine building that helps you get faster. In Diacoveries you build an engine by learning from American Indians to "write" about your adventures which earn you VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RA: The Dice Game...is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Curtis
United States
El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly Deal Card Game distills the fun parts of the original into a game that rarely tops 20 minutes. I'd never play the traditional version, but this is enjoyable and goes over well with non-gamers due to the familiar theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference on some of the dice games out there based on board games.
The Dice Games (with Big Brothers) Listing

Edit: added text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
BANG! The Dice Game makes BANG! completely irrelevant. It's faster, whereas Bang can drag on and on. Yet it captures the same feeling perfectly.

Funnily enough I have played this; a friend of mine is a big fan, although I've never played the original 'Bang!'. Looks like I don't need to bother.
Sredni Vashtar wrote:
I like San Juan, which is based off Puerto Rico. Both are great games, but San Juan doesn't take nearly so long as its bigger brother. Since you like Race for the Galaxy, you might want to give this one a try.

Yeah, I've thought about it. The problem is I've played 'Puerto Rico' a fair bit and RFtG a lot; I don't know if it's going to be different enough to be worth getting.
Ol_bubba wrote:
For reference on some of the dice games out there
The Dice Games (with Big Brothers) Listing

Thanks for that, very informative!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
As much as I would love to play many of the great longer games (and I'm talking about games that take over 2 hours to play), the reality is that I usually don't have the time nor the willing participants to play them.

Naturally then, I am curious about board games that have inspired dice or card spin off games that take some of the essence of the game that inspired them but condense them down into more manageable play times.

But why are you looking for condensed versions of longer games, instead of games that have been designed from the beginning to be shorter?

Also... Roll for the Galaxy

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
RA: The Dice Game...is awesome!

But doesn't seem to be available. Priests of Ra (and I'm guessing Ra) take around an hour anyway.

Fried Egg wrote:
Yeah, I've thought about [San Juan]. The problem is I've played 'Puerto Rico' a fair bit and RFtG a lot; I don't know if it's going to be different enough to be worth getting.

I've not played it but my impression is that most people on BGG who like RftG would rather play RftG than San Juan. A friend has both and rates San Juan as ok.

Thanee wrote:
But why are you looking for condensed versions of longer games, instead of games that have been designed from the beginning to be shorter?

Seems like a good point to me.

Hive or Hive Pocket?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age is a favorite of mine. I found it "meh" at the beginning, but the more i played, the more i liked and it currently is in my top 10 of games.

... though i suspect the name similarity with Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization i suspect is more to them trying to brand the name than any similarity between the two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

Fair point, and I am, but I thought this would be an interesting slant on my general quest for good quick playing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Sadly, I'm just going to have to echo what's already been said:

Discoveries and Roll for the Galaxy

I actually hated L&C, but really enjoyed Discoveries and Roll for the Galaxy is just a bloody fantastic game.

For a unique game not listed yet: Elder Sign. It doesn't perfectly capture Eldritch Horror, that's for sure, but it is fun in its own right.

Not every dice game gets it right, however. Nations the Dice Game is awful. Actually, that's not fair, to say it's awful means I express some sort of feeling toward the game. It's just bland and boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Not every dice game gets it right, however. Nations the Dice Game is awful. Actually, that's not fair, to say it's awful means I express some sort of feeling toward the game. It's just bland and boring.

It's funny you say that, I just tried it a few times (on www.boiteajeux.ne) and really enjoyed it. The way it combined civilisation and engine building into such a short concise game time just blew my mind. Very abstract of course but I don't mind that.

As for "Roll for the Galaxy", I just can't bring myself to get it. It looks quite good but what really ruins it for me is the apparent opportunity for cheating with impunity. Roll and allocate dice behind a screen and you've just got to hope that no one's changed any of their dice? I'm not saying that I think the people I play with are cheaters but at the end of the day you're simply not going to know if people are cheating or not when you play that game. So I think I'll stick with "Race". If someone else pulled out a copy, I'd try it though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Pandemic: The Cure almost more fun than the regular game. I still enjoy playing Pandemic. But there is a special uncertainty with the dice version!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War. Also maybe a Fallout "L" token.
mbmbmbmbmb
Was also coming in to recommend Pandemic: The Cure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elida wrote:
I find Pandemic: The Cure almost more fun than the regular game. I still enjoy playing Pandemic. But there is a special uncertainty with the dice version!

Agreed. And because of that, I have probably played Pandemic: The Cure a dozen times since the last time I played Pandemic.

And I actually prefer Roll for the Galaxy over Race for the Galaxy, though I own the latter and not the former.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Jones
United States
Franklin
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Moon (née BSG Express) captures the same feeling in half the time and Jones Theory's out Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite enjoyed The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
broken clock wrote:

It's funny you say that, I just tried it a few times (on www.boiteajeux.ne) and really enjoyed it. The way it combined civilisation and engine building into such a short concise game time just blew my mind. Very abstract of course but I don't mind that.

As for "Roll for the Galaxy", I just can't bring myself to get it. It looks quite good but what really ruins it for me is the apparent opportunity for cheating with impunity. Roll and allocate dice behind a screen and you've just got to hope that no one's changed any of their dice? I'm not saying that I think the people I play with are cheaters but at the end of the day you're simply not going to know if people are cheating or not when you play that game. So I think I'll stick with "Race". If someone else pulled out a copy, I'd try it though...

Perhaps not necessarily cheating, but outright mistakes going unnoticed. I would be willing to bet a significant percentage of games of Roll consists of mistakes in allocating dice that are not caught. I prefer Race by far. This is one of the reasons, but there are others. Probably the most significant reasons is I find the abilities on the cards and synergies between the cards to be much more interesting than the tiles in Roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War. Also maybe a Fallout "L" token.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no desire to play Space Hulk, but Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Manning
United States
Whitsett
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Analog Lad wrote:
Monopoly Deal Card Game distills the fun parts of the original into a game that rarely tops 20 minutes. I'd never play the traditional version, but this is enjoyable and goes over well with non-gamers due to the familiar theme.

I second this. Monopoly Deal is perfect when playing with folks whom don't necessarily like the original (because it can certainly drag on). It's a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.