Subject: Regarding The Long Night rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So The Long Night is here. I would be interested in GMing/playing a PBF should there be interest in doing so. The GM tools would need to be updated though, and therein lies the problem. As far as I know our benefactor who created the original tools is on V/LA, and I don't have the requisite skills in GIMP to work on that.

Working on the Excel file is one thing. That requires a copy of the game and VLOOKUP skills. Modifying the existing GIMP files is a different story.

I just figured I'd start a discussion and see what shakes out.

I imagine this thread could be moved to the TLN forum instead, but since the SoC board forum runs both SoC and SoC Merlin's Company, I figured we could start here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you opened the GIMP file?

It's easy to edit.
Oh, umm.. Maybe not, I just realised after typing that you probably mean adding a lot more content and layers for the new locations and characters and stuff. Is that true?

That is s challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, I can edit what is there easily enough.

Its creating new locations, icons, items, special zombies, etc. that poses a problem.
edit: Exactly. Layers. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would gladly join in but I don't have the box until Dezember...approximately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think scanning the boards for character images and updated tokens is probably the lion's share of the work, unless those are already available online somewhere. What's VLOOKUP, and why is it needed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think VLOOKUP is likely to be a spreadsheet coding tool, but I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. A random number generator (random.org) determines the order in which the cards will appear, effectively shuffling the decks. VLOOKUP takes the number sequence and pulls the Card value.

So its definitely the lesser task, compared to scanning/GIMP. Of course, how the spreadsheet works is dependent on what Modules/setup you would want to use with TLN.

A new spreadsheet series would need to be made to work with solely TLN, but if there were to be any combination at all, then a modified copy would be needed. Which, again, is the lesser task than GIMP. I'll take an hour or so today and see what I can do on the EXCEL front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Georgius wrote:
Correct. A random number generator (random.org) determines the order in which the cards will appear, effectively shuffling the decks. VLOOKUP takes the number sequence and pulls the Card value.

Ahh... that's the randomization process I haven't had time to look into yet. I wonder if any of that ports over to LibreOffice at all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anything about LibreOffice, but I did complete the Card List and VLOOKUP function for The Long Night.

I haven't transcribed all the Crossroads Triggers, Item Effects, Raxxon Experiments, Improvements, etc, but VLOOKUP works so it can shuffle.

I know we're missing some of the Crossroads triggers from the base set, as there were a couple from the last PBF that weren't on the list. I'm not sure if I have the patience to sort through 80+ crossroads card and put the triggers down. It would be most helpful to have the triggers and the outcomes together, but since we have the physical cards anyway it seems like a waste to only put crossroads triggers up. :/

I imagine that if/when we do organize a PBF for this we can discuss how we'd like the game to look: which modules to use and if we're going to use any base game material as well. The only thing we've rolled over in games (so far) are Survivors and Crossroads cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I went ahead and scanned and created headshots of all the Long Night & Warring Colonies characters; those should be easy to import into the game. Matching the existing character abilities layers will be a bit harder. I'm wondering if it's easier to just maintain that info outside of the GIMP file. If anyone has a printed list of character abilities for the base game, or knows what font was used for the images, either would be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.