Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
“Knowing where the trap is—that's the first step in evading it.”
mbmbmbmbmb
In firefight 8, the US can receive up to 2 naval gunfire cards each turn that allows for "Naval Gunfire to land immediately from the north edge of the map". Normally naval attacks are secretly plotted during the pre-round then occur during the next pre-round.

So in this case, does this mean:
1) the US selects 1 hex per card in the pre-round to use anytime during the current round?
2) the US selects 1 hex per card during the current round?

I suspect it is #1 but want to make sure please.

Also why does it state the "north edge", the plotted range is anywhere on the map, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I believe that it is #2. The special rule requires the use of the card as an action which implies that it is used during the actual round rather than the pre-round.

As for the "north edge", it doesn't have any bearing on OBA unless otherwise specified in the FF rules, which isn't the case in this FF. It might be simply flavor text or perhaps the designers were considering introducing on-board spotters similar to other game systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
“Knowing where the trap is—that's the first step in evading it.”
mbmbmbmbmb
muaddib1 wrote:
Also why does it state the "north edge", the plotted range is anywhere on the map, yes?

Found the answer for this in rule 20.4.1 that states that artillery can have blind spots with respective to hills. I was confused by the blue text (designer's note) on rule 13.1 that seemed to indicate (to me at least) that off-board artillery was called in using a grid system and thus the artillery did not care about blind spots. They were just pounding the area called in.

All-in-all what I am guessing here is the game is trying to model that assets on the ground without LOS into a specific grid coordinate would not know that the enemy is there and thus would not call in those coordinates. As a player I see all of my enemies but my units on the board do not.

Now as for that "immediate" naval gunfire rule...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The U.S. player does not need to plot these strikes at the beginning of the round. They just play the card and exicute the strike. This is because they ship had direct LOS on the conflict and was firing on the fly to support the Marines, sometimes hitting the Marines themselves.

The game states that the strike originates from the North because strikes have blind spots behind cover like any other attack effecting a hex behind elevation. This is because the artillery and naval guns had flatter trajectories that would hit a hill ridge, protecting troops directly behind the ridge. The Japanese Units can use this to there advantage when attacking Marines on the hill.

Gunter
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Walis
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can any hex be targeted or are we limited to hexes from the ridge top and North to the shore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capt. Winters
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
...and another question; Blind spots like behind light/heavy palms will not work for the Japs since naval guns tends to blast those trees to pieces,and therefore also attack the unit adjacent to it, right?

In other words, here we have to differ between hills and trees when applying the blind spot rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
RTOhio wrote:
Can any hex be targeted or are we limited to hexes from the ridge top and North to the shore?

You can hit any hex except for the hex directly behind a ridge where the artillery have a blind spot. Since the Naval gunfire originates from the north, it only cannot hit any hex that is directly south of a hill.
Gunter
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.