Subject: My attempt at REAL campaign rules (work in progress) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastien Meilleur
Canada
Sainte-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools
Ever since my first game of ZBP I thought that the game was really appropriate for a campaign. Being an RPG fan at heart I wanted to build my group of survivors over time. The campaign rules as published by the creators were so depressing that I decided to do something about this.

Campaign : an ongoing series of missions linked by the facts that the same survivors are used in each games with earlier games impacting future games.

Here are my current ideas (feel free to point out potential problems) :

- Pick 6 survivors. Those survivors must be used in every missions unless one of them dies (in such a case you randomly pick a new one for a cost).

- Play the first mission as usual.

Once the mission finishes (and is a success) here is what happens :

- All exps are kept for the next mission (yes it is powerful but remember that this means you might start the new mission right away with red level spawns).

- You can change one (and only one) skill choice for the cost of 10 exps.

- You can heal 1 or 2 wounds for 10 exps each.

- You can keep 1 weapon/spell and 2 misc. items (armor, gear, etc.) per survivor (whatever they have on them, a survivor cannot keep something another survivor has). A strategic choice must be made. You also need to plan ahead in the last turns of the game so that you can optimize your loadouts. Only one Vault item can be kept per 3 living survivors (so a maximum of 2). Torches burn out between missions and cannot be kept.

- If a survivor dies, you can draw a new one randomly for the cost of 5 exps per living survivor.

- I am also thinking that since survivors are already well-equipped the next mission should start with all Spawns "Spawned" once before the survivors play (each spawn zones would spawn once according to regular rules).

- A failed mission (where failure is not dictated by all survivors dying) is treated as a success when it comes to handling the next mission but cannot be replayed.

That's pretty much it for now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silverthornn wrote:
Being an RPG fan at heart I wanted to build my group of survivors over time.

Over time?? Like from the beginning of the sceario to the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Meilleur
Canada
Sainte-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools
longagoigo wrote:
Silverthornn wrote:

From one mission to another. Over the course of multiple missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Silverthornn wrote:
Ever since my first game of ZBP I thought that the game was really appropriate for a campaign. Being an RPG fan at heart I wanted to build my group of survivors over time. The campaign rules as published by the creators were so depressing that I decided to do something about this.

Campaign : an ongoing series of missions linked by the facts that the same survivors are used in each games with earlier games impacting future games.

Here are my current ideas (feel free to point out potential problems) :

- Pick 6 survivors. Those survivors must be used in every missions unless one of them dies (in such a case you randomly pick a new one for a cost).

- Play the first mission as usual.

Once the mission finishes (and is a success) here is what happens :

- All exps are kept for the next mission (yes it is powerful but remember that this means you might start the new mission right away with red level spawns).

- You can change one (and only one) skill choice for the cost of 10 exps.

- You can heal 1 or 2 wounds for 10 exps each.

- You can keep 1 weapon/spell and 2 misc. items (armor, gear, etc.) per survivor (whatever they have on them, a survivor cannot keep something another survivor has). A strategic choice must be made. You also need to plan ahead in the last turns of the game so that you can optimize your loadouts. Only one Vault item can be kept per 3 living survivors (so a maximum of 2). Torches burn out between missions and cannot be kept.

- If a survivor dies, you can draw a new one randomly for the cost of 5 exps per living survivor.

- I am also thinking that since survivors are already well-equipped the next mission should start with all Spawns "Spawned" once before the survivors play (each spawn zones would spawn once according to regular rules).

- A failed mission (where failure is not dictated by all survivors dying) is treated as a success when it comes to handling the next mission but cannot be replayed.

That's pretty much it for now...

I think with the Zombicide mechanics you'll probably find all your guys on max XP and fully equipped by mission 3. It's designed to condense that RPG-style leveling/gearing up experience into one sitting, so it's hard to reverse engineer it into a campaign. Unless walkers give 0 experience, and you eliminate searching beyond specific rooms/mission rewards.

However, compared to some campaign ideas I've read, I really like the idea of spending earned experience to heal/change skills. One issue I see is with randomly getting new survivors when one of yours dies. I love the random thing, but will they start unequipped and on blue, when everyone else could be on red with all the red spawns coming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the "drop 1 equipment when hit" rule from Zombicide (modern) would make a good addition to a campaign game in BP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
M√ľnchen
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wonder if it really would be funny to start a Scenario already at orange/red Levels.
For us the more interesting part of the game is where the survivors are in lower Levels and each move/fight/spawn counts and mistakes are mostly not allowed.
In upper Levels ist just shoveling around huge piles of Zombies and slaughtering them as fast as possible to avoid double activations...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Meilleur
Canada
Sainte-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools
celdom wrote:

I think with the Zombicide mechanics you'll probably find all your guys on max XP and fully equipped by mission 3. It's designed to condense that RPG-style leveling/gearing up experience into one sitting, so it's hard to reverse engineer it into a campaign. Unless walkers give 0 experience, and you eliminate searching beyond specific rooms/mission rewards.

However, compared to some campaign ideas I've read, I really like the idea of spending earned experience to heal/change skills. One issue I see is with randomly getting new survivors when one of yours dies. I love the random thing, but will they start unequipped and on blue, when everyone else could be on red with all the red spawns coming?

Interesting idea to make Walkers give 0 exps. I'll have to think about that,

New survivors would indeed start at Blue with just the basic weapon. It's part of the challenge that will unbalance the group I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I don't know if you've looked at this, but I think you might like the progression system, as it's a bit slower so you can watch that character growth over 10 scenarios.

I wrote it up here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1592461/quick-and-dirty-cam...

Might be some stuff in there you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
Silverthornn wrote:

Clearly not what the OP was talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Meilleur
Canada
Sainte-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mournful wrote:
I don't know if you've looked at this, but I think you might like the progression system, as it's a bit slower so you can watch that character growth over 10 scenarios.

I wrote it up here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1592461/quick-and-dirty-cam...

Might be some stuff in there you like.

I like your idea of exps resetting once you reach a new color. It does indeed slow down progression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.