War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Production quality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since I joined the board gaming community I haven't had much thought about production design. I'd invest a lot of money overall for good-quality (mechanics-wise) games, not paying much heed to the actual material aspect.

About a year later, my opinion has started to shift. As far as I can see it can be rater quickly seen that board games are worn, even within just several plays. I guess sleeving cards is a viable option for most card games and offers at least a bit help, but I have been a bit disappointed by some games, especially if they're costly. Runewars, for example - don't get me wrong, I like it - the board tiles themselves seem fragile, the miniature are incredibly tiny and seem to be easily breakable (some, like the strongest units of the Humans and the Undead, break almost immediately if not during transport) and the cards themselves do not seem to be of any specifically higher quality. Recently I've also been reading up a few things about significant factors such as humidity. By this account, after 1 year most games would probably show significant signs of usage.

What is the production quality of the War of the Ring 2nd edition? I've already fallen in love with the game and decided it is a must have for me (and have been dreaming about it for years by now), but some of the recent experiences have raised a lot of eyebrows, to the point of actually considering leaving the BG train altogether. What is the case with the WoR - the board, the tokens and the cards (I won't ask about the minis because I think they're of top quality; actually Runewars might be the only board game I have ever seen in my life with a bit poor toy quality). I'm especially interested about what people who have owned this game for years have got to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm I am not sure if Im understanding this question correctly. I THINK the answer is that everything materials wise in WotR is pretty standard or slightly above par. I think if you play any board game enough it will show wear. This is a sign of a well loved game. The minis are great and the material isnt the type that will break. I have my cards sleeved and have played with them a lot, the cards and sleeves have held up just fine. The card material itself is pretty standard.

If you have been interested in this game for so long my advice would be to play it, enjoy it and dont let component wear get in the way of enjoying a great game. Im all for keeping things as nice as possible but sometimes a little wear is a good thing : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We Playthrough
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Go ahead and pick this up

http://www.aresgames.eu/16433

and don't worry about wear just enjoy!

(Sorry to your wallet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
If component quality is your concern, as a PP stated it is at least on par with most well produced games if not slightly better. I think it is very compatible to the higher quality games produced by Fantasy Flight such as Star Wars Rebellion or Middle-Earth Quest. Both epic games like WOTR and both of superior component quality. Also, as PP's have stated this, in my opinion, is just simply an amazing game. I cannot think of any games that are as thematically true to their source as WOTR. If you are into Tolkien's world, you quickly come to realize that every game re-enacts the story, albeit differently because here Sauron can reign victorious. I can't imagine this game not in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously? You've asked as many questions as you have about the game over the last six weeks, and you don't own it and apparently haven't played with the components? Sorry, but...just...wow.

Edit: It's a great game with no particular component issues, and I hope you can get and enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The production quality is very high. The art on the cards is great, the board is great, the dice are great. Actually, my only (very small) complaint would be about the minis. In my set many of the minis are sort of bent over to the side and are not nearly the quality of the minis from, say, blood rage. The minis seem to be very soft and bendable. But this is fixable (apparently... I haven't tried it myself yet). You just need to dip them in hot water and they you can bend them straight again. If you have this problem, search for videos on youtube. Also, I find it hard to easily distinguish some of the units quickly. Painting them, or at least painting the bases to signify which type of mini it is would solve this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a lot of games. A few hundred, to be precise. I've had probably over a hundred more pass through my collection over the years.

War of the Ring is still one of the nicest produced games in my entire collection. It's also an amazing game that has stood the test of time. Yeah, I have my cards sleeved, but then again I sleeve almost everything.

So go get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, I wish I could buy only the painted figures from the Anniversary release, but looks like Ares definitely will not sell them separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Overwood wrote:
Seriously? You've asked as many questions as you have about the game over the last six weeks, and you don't own it and apparently haven't played with the components? Sorry, but...just...wow.

Edit: It's a great game with no particular component issues, and I hope you can get and enjoy it.

It's just just I'd like to hear from someone who's been playing it for a couple of years.

By the way, like I said I am relatively new so have little experience when it comes to storing board games. Should all cards be sleeved ASAP (we didn't pay much attention to it in the past; just with card games explicitly). And, more importantly, is storing the cards in the plastic bags they come with a bad idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
Frank Overwood wrote:

It's just just I'd like to hear from someone who's been playing it for a couple of years.

By the way, like I said I am relatively new so have little experience when it comes to storing board games. Should all cards be sleeved ASAP (we didn't pay much attention to it in the past; just with card games explicitly). And, more importantly, is storing the cards in the plastic bags they come with a bad idea?

Are you an archivist for a museum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also kind of puzzled by your question. Since you compare it to Runewars (and since you started a thread in the Runewars forum about warping tiles), I can only say that Runewars, in the board game industry, is a high quality production. The miniatures are small, but that has nothing to do with quality. There were no broken miniatures for me in this game and they are, in my opinion, of a higher quality than WotR miniatures. It uses harder plastic that does not lead to so many "bendy" results like many of the WotR sculpts. Card quality wise, you will also hardly find better quality than Runewars (or WotR for that sake).

If you are really disappointed by the component quality of Runewars, which is definitely in the high ranks, maybe you should reconsider your expectations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
I'm also kind of puzzled by your question. Since you compare it to Runewars (and since you started a thread in the Runewars forum about warping tiles), I can only say that Runewars, in the board game industry, is a high quality production. The miniatures are small, but that has nothing to do with quality. There were no broken miniatures for me in this game and they are, in my opinion, of a higher quality than WotR miniatures. It uses harder plastic that does not lead to so many "bendy" results like many of the WotR sculpts. Card quality wise, you will also hardly find better quality than Runewars (or WotR for that sake).

If you are really disappointed by the component quality of Runewars, which is definitely in the high ranks, maybe you should reconsider your expectations

What's the status of your Black Knight and Siege Engine and how are you storing them?

P. S. FFG dealt with the transportation damages quite professionally and efficiently, so there's no argument there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Siege engines are perfect. No issues with them. Knights, I give you that, have very thin swords which are mostly bent. Gonna give them a hot/cold treatment if I ever tend to paint them.
I'm painting WotR at the moment and I had to straighten almost all free people miniatures. If you look at the image section here you might see the issues people have with it. But in the end: this is just what happens with plastic miniatures where you have to produce 210 pieces for an affordable price. It's really not a big thing. They are game pieces after all.

Edit: oh yeah, storing: unpainted? all just thrown into bags :-)
when they are painted they obviously get a nice storing solution. Usually customized towards the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had my copy since 2nd edition came out, have lugged it all over the country, have had no issues with component quality. Only "precaution" I've done is sleeving the cards, and that wasn't because the cards are poor quality, its just something I do with all the card games.

Frankly, this much questioning of the game quality strikes me as over the top. Given how popular the game is, if there were QA issues you'd find them here in the forum, but I don't recall anyone really having an issue.

If you can't decide after all this if the game quality is up to your standards, just move along, because if you're still undecided I don't know that anything will change your mind at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have had the game about 18 months, probably played it a dozen times or so. My only precaution was to sleeve the cards (which if you shuffle carefully I suspect isn't necessary since they have white edges anyway) and I store everything in the insert that came with the game. I chuck all the minis in a bag for each nation. I'm careful with the board but haven't done anything to preserve it.

Everything has remained in mint condition with the possible exception of the board, which might be very slightly worn along the edge where it folds. I can't imagine any board this size not having that, and it still looks mint on the playing surface.

So far as I'm concerned there's nothing in this game which isn't up to the job, or which I don't think will last for many more years to come.

If I were going to nitpick there would be 2 things:

1. The minis are a soft plastic which bends quite easily. For me this is a bonus as it means there's no risk of them breaking. I can only imagine this being an issue for people who paint them, as bending could crack the paint. Careful storage will prevent this no doubt.

2. The combat dice are small and cheap, and you only get 5 IIRC. This isn't remotely a longevity issue, the dice are perfectly adequate and won't wear out. It's just that they are a bit disappointing especially compared to the other components, particularly the beautiful Action dice. I got some standard red & blue 12mm dice which feel better, others have bought Chessex Scarab Red/Blue which look more like the action dice. I might get those myself at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.