United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
Playful secrets...
badge
In brightest day....
mbmbmbmbmb
Never going to support another Playdek Kickstarter app again. They did not work out appropriate ways to distribute their iOS app through Apple to backers. They were already a year plus over delivery. Why wasn't this the first thing they addressed. Please be aware that while playdek may make amazing apps, they're unable to deliver an iOS product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that I'd even back another GMT kickstarter to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was an Android backer... still waiting on anything at all. I did see the update which seemed to blame Apple; I'm no apple fanboy but I'm unclear how this became impossible... just a vague comment about "conflicts." I had heard great things about GMT, yet they have made a lot of poor decisions and poor executions in this kickstarter. The PC version is nice (I sprung for it out of pocket) though most recently they removed 60 minute timers for 45/90 (90 makes sense and 30 was insane, but why remove 60 which was just right??)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
The removal of 60, which is basically the competition standard, was just silly dumb. The failure to reinstate it after all the complaints shows a lack of caring about what their customers want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just one word in mind: fiasco. Waiting for so long for a handful of air. And no compensation to help swallow it, just a plain "sorry, we can refund you".

It's the second time I get burned with a promising GMT app, after the crappy Dominant Species with an unplayable AI + buggy UI.

Never again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was annoyed at first but it looks like I will get $15 back and can buy the iOS version on the App Store for $13.99 anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Rutledge
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
Playful secrets...
badge
In brightest day....
mbmbmbmbmb
They haven't refunded me yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With this and Core Worlds, I think I'm done backng any ios games on Kickstarter.

At least I'm happy with my Twilight Struggle Collector's Edition (after some glue on the tanks, and the Brush War error doesn't bug me too much)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
I was annoyed at first but it looks like I will get $15 back and can buy the iOS version on the App Store for $13.99 anyway.

Yeah, not sure why everyone is so upset. You're basically up a dollar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
IGNITION - bringing enlightenment where once all was dark
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I missing something? I have Twilight Struggle on my ipad, got it from the kickstarter, and it seems to work ok. What are the problems people are having?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Allein
Austria
Mödling
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am backer of the 75$ pledge level.
Quote:
Previous rewards plus a physical copy of the "Twilight Struggle Deluxe Edition" board game, entry into a backer-only online tournament with GMT-sponsored prizes, and 6 months of free online tournament entries (up to 10 entries per month).

So you only get your $15 for the game as a refund. What is with the tournament entries?? And the exchange rate is very different to two years ago.
July 2014: 1.35USD for 1 Euro
July 2016: 1.10USD for 1 Euro

So I helped Playdek to finance their project and get a "sorry". And if I want to play the game now I have to pay for the game 20% more and have to pay ADDITIONAL to get the promised online tournaments?

Sorry Playdek, I have a lot of humor. But not as much as this situation needs.

This situation makes it clear that Kickstarter for IOS is DEAD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We Playthrough
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
JaggedTech wrote:
Am I missing something? I have Twilight Struggle on my ipad, got it from the kickstarter, and it seems to work ok. What are the problems people are having?

Some people haven't received anything. Thats the problems haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlleinGespielt wrote:

So I helped Playdek to finance their project and get a "sorry".

We didn't even get that. There's no apology anywhere in that update.

I added the ios as an add-on for $5, which would include kickstarter exclusives. Now if I want it, it will cost more money and not include the kickstarter exclusives.

This was not handled well at all. This kickstarter is definitely my biggest (actually only, so far) kickstarter regret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Allein
Austria
Mödling
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
This kickstarter is definitely my biggest (actually only, so far) kickstarter regret.

I am also a lucky Core Worlds backer. Broken Myth (or more Broken Promise) does not respond to Kickstarter Mails. No response, no reward.

As I said, I will never ever again back any IOS project anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:
With this and Core Worlds, I think I'm done backng any ios games on Kickstarter.

At least I'm happy with my Twilight Struggle Collector's Edition (after some glue on the tanks, and the Brush War error doesn't bug me too much)

While I received my code for Twilight Struggle... still waiting on Core Worlds (not holding breath).

Even so, I will be VERY reluctant to back iOS stuff on Kickstarter again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The PC version is nice (I sprung for it out of pocket) though most recently they removed 60 minute timers for 45/90 (90 makes sense and 30 was insane, but why remove 60 which was just right??)

Or why not just let people set it themselves to whatever, rather than only getting preset numbers to pick from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure why anyone would back software.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
Not sure why anyone would back software.

Like with many Kickstarters, because they would like to see it get made. But Apple's policies have caused headaches for any company trying to get codes out to backers of iOS games (not that it excuses the guys who made Core Worlds. At least Playdek did make a decent version of Twilight Struggle)

Edit: other iOS games I backed or paid attention to:

1st and Goal: Backed, but it didn't fund so was never charged through Kickstarter. Bought it, and it was decent enough. Don't play anymore, but got my money's worth.

Manhattan Project: Backed, but it didn't fund so was never charged through Kickstarter. What came out sure looks like it could've used more funding. Follows the rules, but that's about all that can be said good about it. Not just bad AI, but an AI that couldn't even come close to beating someone who has no idea how to play.

Police Precinct: Didn't back, but was interested. Bought but haven't had a chance to play much yet. Game came out just a couple of weeks after the kickstarter ended. Clearly the Kickstarter was just used as a preorder system as the game was nearly finished, but from what I've seen, looks solid and professional.

and to clarify my opinions on the two mentioned before:

Twilight Struggle. Actually very good on both Steam and iOS (I have an ipad pro). Certain cards take a bit too long for the AI to decide on in the iOS version, but other than that, extremely good. AI is not very good against people who are good at Twilight Struggle, but despite many others probably disagreeing with me, I think its nothing to be ashamed of (I imagine it was a very hard game to program an AI for). In particular, susceptible to Europe control losses, and tends to waste too much influence spending 2 influence where you have control of a country.
I've heard it crashes too much on an ipad 2. No word on the progress of the Android or console ports.

Core Worlds: Backed, but received an expired code that I couldn't redeem. They did not reply to emails regarding it. Wrote it off and did not rebuy it. I've heard the final product is a mess anyway, so don't really feel like I missed much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I'm hugely disappointed in this. For my trouble of backing this KickStarter. I've effectively overpaid 2 years in advance for the PC game with shockingly poor AI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioannis Chatzigiannelis
Greece
Ag. Paraskevi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We Playthrough wrote:
JaggedTech wrote:

Some people haven't received anything. Thats the problems haha

And won't receive anything. The latest update said that they can't send any more codes to backers.
AFAIK only several US backers got the codes for an iOS copy.
What was offered, was a possibility to switch platform (too late for me as I already have bought the PC version) or a $15 refund (out of a $30 support).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United Kingdom
Northwich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why Playdeck can do iOS as days of wonder did it with small world 2!

So for everyone out there Never, Never, NEVER back a is for any iOS delivery.

Add this insult to the poorly produced so called "delux" edition GMT past off ( again look to days of wonder to see a proper delux edition) it the end of my backing of play deck and GMT.

I also note the one living in the country with the biggest legal claims system just so happens to have got their iOS version, strange how that worked out isn't it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shame about the IOS. The PC vesrion i downloaded almost 2 months ago works very well, and has since been updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was interested in the iOS version, but backed the Mac level with iOS add-on since it seemed like a good idea at the time to get both so I could play TS anywhere. I did get the physical TS expansion items, although it's not really worth it to be honest in the grand scheme of things. And I got the Mac version on Steam, which runs. I never got my iOS version and I now never will. I requested my money back. I can keep the Steam version, but it's not what I wanted, and the whole experience is negative for me.

I own half a dozen Playdek iOS games, and they really should know and do better than this. It's not like this is the first time they release an iOS game. Nor is this the first trouble (Summoner Wars in-app purchase restore debacle). This is a very very poor performance by them, and I blame them for all this really.

I am a big fan of GMT Games and their products, owning 40 games and expansions. I will still buy their board games, but I am not going to back anything digital from them again.

As for Kickstarter... I probably get a better return if I just burn my cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed iOS version at $15 tier.
It irks me a little that it's taken so long and the email leaves it for us to sort out by mailing playdeck with all our details.

I still hold GMT games in very high regard, they make some outstanding quality board games and I guess dealing with the digital stuff is just not their strong point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjetil Svendsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
My Secret Santa is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those of you that got a code, did you also get any of the Kickstarter bonuses, or are they not added yet?

I never got a code, so bought the game now. Wonder if I'll get the bonuses that was promised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.