Subject: Played Games History has Wrong Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My played games history has seen one game (Yardmaster Express) replaced entirely by another game (Backyard Builders Treehouse)

I don't own nor have I ever played Backyard Builders Treehouse.

I have logged over 50 plays of Yardmaster Express as recently as last week. Every single one was entered as Yardmaster Express.

https://boardgamegeek.com/plays/bygame/user/3wgames/subtype/...

I realize they are the same mechanic and perhaps the Treehouse game will be the marketed name moving forward (Or perhaps not?) but something has gone wrong in the addition of the new game version to the database that has caused it to replace all my logged plays of the original game.

I don't want plays of Backyard Builders Treehouse in my played games log. I've never played that game. I want the logged plays to show the game I actually played.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try selecting the specific version you own, it should carry over to your collection info (be listed as that name, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean?

I've always entered it in as Yardmaster Express, never as Backyard Builders Treehouse. Something happened in the last day or two in the system and they all got changed. Even the copy in my personal collection that used to say "Yardmaster Express" now says "Backyard Builders Treehouse"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3wgames wrote:
What do you mean?

I've always entered it in as Yardmaster Express, never as Backyard Builders Treehouse. Something happened in the last day or two in the system and they all got changed. Even the copy in my personal collection that used to say "Yardmaster Express" now says "Backyard Builders Treehouse"

Backyard Builders Treehouse is the name of a new version of the same game. Apparently it is now the primary/default version. In your BGG collection, you can select a specific version of a game (so that title and representative image rather than the game's default title and rep image) will be used. (In the new game interface, I think you do this through the "My Games" link, but I have not done so myself in the new game interface.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, everyone who has already entered Yardmaster Express into their collection or played game history shouldn't have to go back and edit everything because of a change in the DB, so that seems like a second bug to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3wgames wrote:
Well, everyone who has already entered Yardmaster Express into their collection or played game history shouldn't have to go back and edit everything because of a change in the DB, so that seems like a second bug to me.

You don't have to do anything to your logged plays. You only edit one thing (the game itself in your collection, to explicitly indicate the version you want to be using instead of the default version).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Setting a version will indeed fix this in the collection display, but sadly not in the plays history. That always shows the main game name and image. (It's a longstanding request to fix that, and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to link to some threads for it. Even better would of course be if you can log a play against a version, rather than against a game.)

I think your main hope right now should be that they'll slip in a new component or rules change in the "Backyard Builders Treehouse" release, so that you can successfully argue that it should become a separate DB entry from "Yardmaster Express".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are different. In yardmaster express you play cards horizontally, in backyard builders treehouse they get played vertically and have different goal cards included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
3wgames wrote:
in backyard builders treehouse they get played vertically and have different goal cards included.

I know nothing about the game, but the different goal cards sound like it might do. Submit a new boardgame database entry for backyard builders treehouse, marking it as a reimplementation of yardmaster express, and in the note to admin explain in a couple of sentences how the rules and components differ, and why that means that they should be split into two database entries. (Explain it in a way which assumes the admin doesn't know the game, and is too busy to look up documentation. Supporting links to the rules of the two games, or other places which highlight their differences, would be helpful for your case.)

If the new game entry is approved, then the version changes on Yardmaster Express should be rolled back by the same admin. (Might require a tidying up correction request from you, but generally the admins are very good with this.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't gotten around to submitting a change to this to correct this issue, but if anyone else wants to feel free (I see other threads about this popping up in bugs)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.