J. Alan Hatcher
But I thought you continued through the dungeon and if you come out of it with positive HP, you cleared it? I haven't played it yet, but just went over the rule book yesterday.
And yes, some of the items seemed... a bit confusing in their wording on the tile vs the description in the book (like the vorpal items)
A review of the rulebook section for "Dungeon Phase" will imply that you are not "dead" as soon as your hit points hit zero.
The "Dungeon Phase" beginning on Page 7 specifically lays out how to go through the dungeon.
1. Calculate Total Hitpoints by using Adventurer Tile and Equipment
2. "One by one, reveal the cards from the Dungeon pile" and either:
a. Eliminate the monster with equipment and discard
b. Lose HP equal to the monster's strength and discard
3. Repeat this "until there are no more monsters in the dungeon."
4. "If the total Health Points you lost is fewer than the Health
Points with which you entered the Dungeon, you succeeded."
5. "If the total Health Points you lost is equal to or greater than
the Health Points with which you entered the Dungeon, you
did not succeed."
These last two are actually very confusing since it makes it sound like the potion and ring don't affect the "Health Points with which you entered the Dungeon."
To make matters worse the rulebook clarification for the Healing Potion says "This allows you to continue to draw monsters." which makes it sound like you do "die" when you hit 0 hps.
So basically the rulebook contradicts itself in a few places.