Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm trying to find a cheap, affordable way to build a gamepad for our table. We don't have the funds for a gaming table, so something in the $20-30 range would work best. All the game mats I've looked at are too small to cover a tabletop, so I've been thinking about corkboard, actually. What would y'all think of that as a gaming surface?

https://www.amazon.com/Cork-Sheet-Plain-24-thick/dp/B001ACIG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmbmb
Try looking around at your local fabric store (Jo-Ann is only one in my area), they will typically have large bolts (52" wide) of "utility fabric". You might find something that is far easier to store and will be more durable* than a sheet of cork that size.

*cork is durable, keeping a sheet of cork as one piece is another matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, find a Jo Ann's near you. You can get headliner material and then layer something more durable on top. They have lots of great stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did something similar recently

Felt tablecloth any tips

It worked really well. The foam underlay worked a treat and was cheap as chips (rather than neoprene or similar)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been mentioned before by others but I'll throw the link in again for those huge rolls of mousepad material that can cover a whole table.

http://www.hookloopoutlet.com/index.html

These guys will let you order a half sheet as well as a full sheet.

http://www.foamorder.com/neoprene.html

Easy to roll up and store as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin Zuniga
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:
Yeah, find a Jo Ann's near you. You can get headliner material and then layer something more durable on top. They have lots of great stuff.

Headliner fabric is great for being the squishy part under the cloth. It makes picking up cards a breeze. I am honestly not even interested in neoprene anymore now that I have my foam layer.

http://www.joann.com/foam-backed-headliner-fabric-grey/34960...

That's a link to what I bought. Always bring a coupon, they have a ton of coupons at all times. Their 4th of July sale just happened, but they usually have one every month or so where you can get 20% off your entire purchase. During those, I got enough of the foam to cover my table, then some microsuede to go over it. With the coupons, I paid around $30 total. It is awesome!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That looks very interesting (and far cheaper). Would there be a problem with just running the headliner straight? Ideally I want one piece of something that would just go over the table like a mat.

EDIT: How wide is that stuff on Joann's? The product doesn't have much info -- I know I can buy it by the yard, but is it a yard wide?

Caitlin147 wrote:
Doomsword wrote:

Headliner fabric is great for being the squishy part under the cloth. It makes picking up cards a breeze. I am honestly not even interested in neoprene anymore now that I have my foam layer.

That's a link to what I bought. Always bring a coupon, they have a ton of coupons at all times. Their 4th of July sale just happened, but they usually have one every month or so where you can get 20% off your entire purchase. During those, I got enough of the foam to cover my table, then some microsuede to go over it. With the coupons, I paid around $30 total. It is awesome!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably 4 or 5 feet wide for the inside roof of any car, it will cover any table I believe. Foam backed it has a soft stretchy fabric top surface, I imagine it would 'pill' up after some wear and catch on sharp corners. I would definitely top layer it with some fake leather or suede.

aaj94 wrote:
That looks very interesting (and far cheaper). Would there be a problem with just running the headliner straight? Ideally I want one piece of something that would just go over the table like a mat.

EDIT: How wide is that stuff on Joann's? The product doesn't have much info -- I know I can buy it by the yard, but is it a yard wide?

Caitlin147 wrote:
Doomsword wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm not a craft person, so I'm kind of fumbling around in the dark here. Say I bought a yard or two, could I buy a topper fabric, just wrap it around the back of the headliner, and stitch it on a sewing machine? I don't mind if the stitches showed through on the front. Mainly I want something that can still be rolled up, so I don't want to back it on any hard surface. Though I guess some cheap plywood could work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baker mouse
United States
brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you could run it thru a sewing machine. I would use a "Jeans" needle if you do, it is thicker than normal needles so less chance of breaking, and use a wide stitch.
Another route would be to glue it together using an adhesive spray glue, they make one for fabrics.

I think that fabric is 50" wide, should be on a wall next to the vinyl. It will hang on the wall on a roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
MedellĂ­n
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cork will break after a few uses, specially if you plan to roll it up.

You can try with EVA foam. It comes in different thicknesses, and you can get it in a big sheet that covers your whole table.

You'll probably want it a little thicker than the 0.1cm sheets you normally get at stationery shops for crafts and arts, but not the 1.0cm mats used for kids flooring and cosplay armor because it'd be difficult to roll up and will tend to keep the curvature after a while. Around 0.3 to 0.5cm (0.2 in) in thickness should be fine.

You can glue fabric over it, it will feel approximately like those neoprene mats (like a mouse pad) and you'd still be able to roll it, but you probably won't spend more than 15 dollars to cover your entire table. (I built a medium sized mat for rolling dice and playing small 2P card games using EVA foam and cheap fabric, still haven't tried with one as big as you need, but it should work just the same).

Dunno, maybe you can also try a couple of cheap matching yoga mats and report back on how they feel, but I don't know how expensive those are wher you live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to roll it up find a single layer material like neoprene. The headlined material is usually used with spray adhesive (on cardboard). You could sew it but you would need some hem material for backing, the foam will not hold up to tight stitching. Also rolling up a home made dual layer thing might make one layer stretch and then not lay flat when you go to use it.

If you have a Jo Ann's near you just go and browse what they have, they have so much you might find something perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:
If you want to roll it up find a single layer material like neoprene. The headlined material is usually used with spray adhesive (on cardboard). You could sew it but you would need some hem material for backing, the foam will not hold up to tight stitching. Also rolling up a home made dual layer thing might make one layer stretch and then not lay flat when you go to use it.

If you have a Jo Ann's near you just go and browse what they have, they have so much you might find something perfect.

I'm thinking I have to just bite the bullet and get neoprene. However, to keep costs down, I think I could avoid a full sheet as those run about 60 bucks.

Here's some 1.5mm neoprene for sale on eBay at a decent price per yard (13 bucks) -- it's about 4 feet wide, so one yard would be pretty good for at least a trial run. Thoughts?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...mmygeesf-jgfGXmg_c6f5PXg

Edit: Here's another option @ 2mm: http://tinyurl.com/jzqgv5x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

My experience with ordering cheap things from China is "you get what you pay for". Seriously, you don't live near a big city that has a Jo Ann's? Nothing like putting your hands on what you want to buy when you don't know what you want to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That's true. I'm about forty minutes away from Jo-Ann's, but I wasn't aware they sold neoprene fabric, specifically (all the stuff above was headliner). I'll have to go to that store and see what they have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't know how cushioned it is compared to normal neoprene, but this pops up when you search for neoprene on the Jo-Ann website.

Embossed scuba black floral spandex

Having recently used Jo-Ann headliner fabric for its intended purpose, it certainly seems durable enough, but I could see it pilling like crazy if used as a gaming surface. You'd definitely have to add some other fabric on the foam side and use that as the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:
Quote:

My experience with ordering cheap things from China is "you get what you pay for". Seriously, you don't live near a big city that has a Jo Ann's? Nothing like putting your hands on what you want to buy when you don't know what you want to buy.

So true. I am pretty tactile and I would go insane (more so) if I didn't have myself something I didn't like to touch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
msg tools
mbmbmb
EDIT: They only deal in wholesale which sucks.
I myself have been scowering the internet for inexpensive neoprene and came across this company that sells blank mousepad material in 1/16", 1/8" and 1/4" thicknesses for a decent price. I'll be ordering a 54" x 36"(1 linear yard which is how they price for bulk)in the 1/8" thickness for $19.12 when I'm able to get my account created. They also have 14"x24" blank mousepads in the 1/16" for 2.70 each, I'll probably get a few of those as well or a yard of that to make some game specific pads like legendary.

http://dyetrans.com/search.php?search=mouse+pad+material

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems very promising!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
msg tools
mbmbmb
Well I placed an order through Dyetrans.com for 2 yards of 1/8" neoprene and 10 14"x24" blank mousepads to make some game mats. The total came to $82.49 including shipping. If they let the order go through I'll let you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just got a call from the company in Alabama about my order and they are shipping it. They did ask me about setting up a wholesale account but I said I'm not interested but I know a lot of people (all of you!) that may be interested in purchasing thier neoprene if their product turns out be what we're looking for. The neoprene comes with a blank white nylon top so I'm planning on using some Rit dye in a gray to dye the fabric on the 2 yard sheet. I'll test it on one of the small sheets first so I don't ruin it if it comes out like crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Msmith10000 wrote:
Some might find this unappealing, but I simply use a cheap thin fleece blanket that I put over the table. I have to use something since my table has several tiles on its surface. You can usually pick them up for under $10, and can find ones in solid colors or with your favorite sports teams. I just make sure to wash the table beforehand. Best part is that I can wash the blanket if someone leaves a mess, or if I forget to wash off the table. whistle

For example...

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Fleece-Blanket-Assorted-Colors/...

(I would purchase one from a local store to ensure you got the desired thickness for your needs.)

How do you keep it from sliding around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
BombayBoarder wrote:
I'm planning on using some Rit dye in a gray to dye the fabric on the 2 yard sheet. I'll test it on one of the small sheets first so I don't ruin it if it comes out like crap.

Pictures would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've been eyeing this neoprene mat that's supposed to be used to dampen a washing machine: https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1322-Anti-Vibration-24-Inch...

The reviews say poor quality, but maybe they're thinking in the context of a washing machine pad, and not a gamepad. Alternatively, i could maybe glue some fun fabric to one side of this to stiffen it up.

Anyone tried something like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cork will dry out over time and crack. You're better off spending a little more now on a better quality mat than getting something cheaper and either having to replace it or not enjoying using it as much. I've learned this the hard way with tools over the years and it also goes with my gaming supplies.

The neoprene mats seem to be fairly durable and are spill resistant plus come in a wide variety of colors and thicknesses. If I ever build a gaming table this will be whats on the play surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.