The Others» Forums » General

Subject: Dice tower con has a production copy of the game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elle Elle
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Check out @eric_lang's Tweet: https://twitter.com/eric_lang/status/751087826268254209?s=09

I'm so hyped for this game. So close but so far!

Can anyone who checked this out in dice tower con report how the game and components were?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, no doubt CMON has air-freighted over a few hundred copies in preparation for GENCON.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elle Elle
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Update tomorrow:surprise they're all in distribution hubs now, eta 3-5 days.

Cue tui ad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Leong
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo Australians represent. Super psyched about the surprise news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I managed to a cost Eric and take a gander at it. The components do indeed look great. Eric's only lament was that you can see the massive mini right when you lift up the board rather than have it be a "reveal" at the bottom of the box. Can't wait for my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Meeusen

Belmont
Michigan
msg tools
mbmb
Ogazmoe wrote:

Cue tui ad.

So about that update...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zekks wrote:
Ogazmoe wrote:

Cue tui ad.

So about that update...?

He was trying to make a joke, not stating a fact.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Belk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one of the 4 people at DTC who got to demo it at the table Eric Lang ran it at, and Tom Vasel played it at (not the play on his twitter).

I have to be honest, considering some of the other mumblings on the BGG forum I was extremely worried and actually had pushed Eric and the folks at CMON to be part of the demo Eric ran.

We played a full game against Pride, with Eric playing Pride. It was awesome. For starters I'm much more of a Euro Gamer with the occasional 1-v-all dungeon crawl getting tossed in to scratch the D&D itch from my youth. I was extremely worried about the theme of the game because post apocalyptic near future hell raiser stuff doesn't strongly appeal to me at all. Frankly the main reason I bought the kickstarter (and I went all in) was the minis. I really hoped there was a game there but I had serious doubts.

That being said it was awesome! Maybe because I went into it with low expectations (from some other comments on these forums) but it was the 2nd best new (new to me) game I played at DTC this year - and I did not expect that since I played a lot of Euro's that should have been more my style.

Now it isn't easy, but its not impossible or a slow slog like the another person posted. The mechanics are pretty simple as a hero... move 2 spaces and take 1 action, or take 1 action and move 2 spaces. If you are inside a building at the start or end of your turn as a free action you can use the city action (and you will)!

Eric went into it planning on killing Tom Vassal first because they know each other and they pick on each other. By the end of the first round (Eric told me after it ended) he felt I was his biggest threat. I was playing a ranged guy and killing a lot of his stuff. It went for 2-3 hours (but to be fair with the number of people walking up to Tom and Eric about different things there were a lot of distractions). So I would expect a game to run 1.5-2.5 hours once you know what you're doing.

At no point did it feel like it overstayed its welcome. Due to the time we were playing at, we kinda rushed at the end because Tom had a few places to be and probably could have made slightly better decisions. In the end, Eric won, but we made it to the last objective and only had the Sin Pride left to kill - we just needed more gear to do it. I was the 1 of only 2 heroes to survive, Eric killed 5 other heroes (you play 4 at a time, but have 3 in reserve in case you die and you will die). When you die you draw a new hero - if there is no hero to draw the bad guy looses and thus we did. My original hero made it thru the last round but because everyone else was dead it didn't matter (heroes lose when they die and cannot draw a new character).

It really feels balanced, the Sin player feels powerful but if you make wise decisions you feel like you're doing well. Eric (at the end) felt like we were pushing him to his limits and that it was hard for him. It really is 49%/51% in the favor of the Sin player, but that 1% is just due to 1 rule that if the last objective is met and the last expendable hero dies in the same roll, the Sins still win. Otherwise it feels REALLY balanced and fair and fun.

I gotta say it was a lot of fun. WAY more fun than I expected. As a more Euro Gamer type I did not expect it to be that much fun for me but it really really was. So rest assured it is not a slog or a waste of plastic. Its fun, tense, scary, and very clever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
That being said it was awesome! Maybe because I went into it with kinda low expectations (from some other comments on these forums) but it was the 2nd best new (new to me) game I played so far at DTC.

So, what was your favorite game of the con?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rockatansky Ash
msg tools
mbmb
More detail on the gameplay please. Need my fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously. The wait is getting painful. There is not enough info out there. Want moar!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Belk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
webs1 wrote:
Quote:
That being said it was awesome! Maybe because I went into it with kinda low expectations (from some other comments on these forums) but it was the 2nd best new (new to me) game I played so far at DTC.

So its not "new" just new to me. My favorite "new" game that I played was Orleans. Blew me away. Its hard these days for a game to really wow me. Maybe because I have a lot of really good ones (in my opinion) and its hard these days to impress. But Orleans just wowed me. I did horrible in it, but loved it. Bought a deluxe copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Belk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyramidou wrote:
More detail on the gameplay please. Need my fix.

I'm not sure I have the time to explain the rules in detail as there are a lot (well not a ton but a lot more than I want to write out).

In short you pick 7 heroes, play 4 of them. Sin player (Sin from here out) places monsters as set up dictates. Heroes pick first player and then go around the table twice for a total of 2 activations a round. Each activation is move 2 squares - not tiles (think Zombicide squares) and take an action. That can be attack or cleanse. As a free action you can activate a city tile if you start or end your turn in a building (that is things like heal, remove corruption, move the orbital satellite that kills weaker stuff without rolling, or get gear).

Attacks are you roll X dice, defender rolls Y dice and you resolve effects. You can get corruption, damage, or exploding from Sin rolls and can roll attack, defense, cleanse, or wild. Wilds are "exploding dice" so its what you want and roll another die. Rolls can kinda get crazy that way. Sin killed someone with 1 hit that way. Ranged means the attacker only rolls (nice way to pick things off and not take hits).

On any roll you can take 1 corruption to gain the effects of the next and all prior corruption bonuses, but that is ONLY for that roll. So to keep getting it you need to keep getting more corrupt which is why you need to use the city action to remove corruption and also heal damage.

Sin player gets 4 reactions - which is move and attack with 1 monster but must target the active player, and can play cards against you on your turn - they hurt.

On Sins turn he spawns monsters = to players and can move monsters and attack. Apocalypse track can move up or down (count down timer) based on several factors and the scenario. That can allow Sin to draw an apocalypse card (which can be nasty things or things like the hellfire club monsters).

As heroes you are trying to achieve objectives to advice the story. Get number of gear pieces = to players (in total). Then kill X=players (or less if there are less) abominations in 1 turns, then kill X=players marked monsters.

The mechanics are pretty straight forward - nothing overly "rulesie" but the tactical and strategic decisions are solid and involved.

I think playing as the Sin player will be more involved since there is more to keep track of, but thats the same with any "dungeon crawl 1-v-all" out there so no surprises.

That is very high level, but a good glimpse into the game and flow. Again its very fun and will probably come in right behind Imperial Assault and Decent 2nd ed. for me in terms of 1-v-all dungeon crawl like games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rockatansky Ash
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks David !

And what did you like in the game (what makes it fun) ? Was there interesting tactical choices for the both sides ?

Was the scenario you played a terror mission ?
I can't wait to play the corruption ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Knees
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you could use a city action in between moves for free? Move one space, take a city action, then move another single space for a total of two?

Great news about the shipping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elle Elle
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ogazmoe wrote:

Cue tui ad.

LOL I was right! Fancy that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
drb1979 wrote:
webs1 wrote:
Quote:

So its not "new" just new to me. My favorite "new" game that I played was Orleans. Blew me away. Its hard these days for a game to really wow me. Maybe because I have a lot of really good ones (in my opinion) and its hard these days to impress. But Orleans just wowed me. I did horrible in it, but loved it. Bought a deluxe copy.

Thanks for letting us know. I've heard really good things about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.