Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hi, what does everyone think is better for making a connection in a game?

Poll
Poll
Drawing
Stick Piece
Other Way
      23 answers
Poll created by Pickles2000

A stick piece like this:
?

Or just simply drawing it on the board, like in a Crayon Rail System Game?

Or some other way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sticks. But drawing is cheaper, so depending on price point drawing may be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
Drawing. The game can't be messed up by bumping the board, players can draw different types of lines (solid, dashed, dotted, etc) and the players don't need to separate different-colored sticks during setup or cleanup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal preference is stick pieces. I don't mind drawing, but for some reason it feels a bit outdated. Nothing rational there, just a feeling. And yes, Roads & Boats, I still love you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends.

Sticks look nice and uniform, but their uniformity of length force all points on a board to be equidistant, which might distort actual geography. Sticks can also be bumped and dislodged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it depends, but for a different reason.

I like stick games, even the relatively little sticks in On the Underground (which is not a regular board--meaning evenly spaced on a grid). I prefer them greatly over putting down track hexes and spending time looking for the needed hex. (Note that an equilateral triangle grid where you use lines, like TransAmerica, is the same as a hex grid using the spaces. The triangle lines are drawn from center-of-hex to center-of-hex.)

But, that's at something like 25-30 mm between points. The dots on a Mayfair rail game can get down to something like 5 mm. That is much more resolution. Aside from really rare single dots, the dots and other symbols on a Mayfair map also are essentially a hex grid. I measured it out, and Empire Builder has about the resolution (in hexes) of Railroad Tycoon, which covered just the Eastern US, but Empire Builder covers from the Atlantic to the Pacific and Mexico well into Southern Canada on a smaller board.

But, if you just play Empire Builder out of the box, the crayons break, they're hard to erase, they can rub off on your clothes, the jigsaw board is a pain, and going across a cut can break a crayon. (Some people simply cannot draw without pressing hard.) What you need to do is get the Empire Builder: Laminated Flat Map (which will not lay flat without weights or tape) and wet-erase markers from an office store. So, you're paying for two games, but only get one. This is one of my issues with Mayfair--that and they apparently cannot make folding boards.

So, for a symbolic board, sticks are fine. For geographic detail, drawing wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.