Adam Rasmussen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules, if you have to use an End Cap because your board would overlap itself, it costs one movement point to move between them! That doesn't seem right. Movement points are too precious, especially with Grisban the Thirsty! I ignored that rule. Anyone else feel similarly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, because if the board could be built without the overlap you would still need to move that extra space. This rule preserves the intended size of the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
No, because if the board could be built without the overlap you would still need to move that extra space. This rule preserves the intended size of the map.

I think this is not right.

CASE 1: placing a new room doesn't make it overlap.
In this case, the old tile (A) and new tile (B) are directly connected. Moving from the last space of tile A to the first space of tile B costs exactly 1 movement point as the two spaces are adjacent.

CASE 2: placing a new room would make some tiles overlap.
In this case you are instructed to place 1 cap at the exit of tile A and 1 cap at the enter of tile B (rules at page 10 and 11). As far as I understand, this disconnection represents a dungeon on multiple levels, and the "space" between the two caps is a flight of stairs or another transition corridor.
However, in this situation, moving from the last space of tile A to the first space of tile B costs you 3 movement points:
1. one to enter the first cap,
2. one to move from 1 cap to the other (stairs?),
3. one to move from the second cap to tile B.
Furthermore, the gap interrupts line of sight and adjacency (and thus even counting spaces). This may shut down some alternative movement modes (such as Astarra's short-range teleport).

Even if this result in an overall more difficult scenario, I am not as bothered by it as the OP. I simply accept the fact some specific configurations of the Exploration deck may be harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rasmussen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you have to place an End Cap on both the old terrain piece and the new one, it adds one movement point. It would preserve the same size if moving onto the first End Cap immediately teleported the hero to the next End Cap.

And, yes, it blocks LOS, nor can you attack through it. I am okay with that, because the rules go for a thematic solution (you find a secret passage, it says in the rules), rather than simply fudging it and making it a break in the map. I probably am nitpicking, but I felt I had so little hope in the final encounter, that I didn't want to lose a movement point. Although I did win, maybe I would have lost without that movement point! If I ever play it again, I'll go ahead and follow the rule, should it come up! I guess the great think about playing solo is, you can break whatever rules you want to!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrysologus wrote:
Since you have to place an End Cap on both the old terrain piece and the new one, it adds one movement point. It would preserve the same size if moving onto the first End Cap immediately teleported the hero to the next End Cap. [...]

Exactly. Your house rule saves 1 movement point.

However, to actually preserve the same size, you should be teleported to the next tile (skipping the second end cap altogether).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rasmussen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, it's even worse than I realized! It actually costs you 2 movement points when you have to use End Caps! That's the equivalent of each hero suffering 2 fatigue! Devastating!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One way to reduce the impact of this is to consider the spaces on the two end caps the same space (as if they were superimposed).
That is: if your miniature is on the left space of the first end cap (let's call it L1), it is considered to be also on the left space of the other cap (let's call it L2).

If L1 is occupied, L2 cannot be occupied and vice versa.
If a miniature is on L1, you can trace line of sight, adjacency and count spaces as if you were on L2 (and vice versa).

This way you reduce the additional movement needed to go from tile A to tile B by 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rasmussen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I played it last night. Once a hero moved onto an End Cap, I just placed him/her on the next one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.