Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathieu Gybels
Belgium
Snaaskerke
Belgiƫ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday evening after a pleasant night of Champions Of Midgard we played our first game of Crazy Karts.

Box and Design:

The game is beautiful. THe art is funny and cool. It's easy to look at. Quality cardboard components and zip-lock bags included. If I'd have to make remarks my main one would the stickers for the kart-meeples. I hate stickers for meeples. It takes ages to put them on properly and I much prefer painted meeples or miniatures. On the other hand that would have probably raised prices. The second tiny little complaint is how everything was just tossed in the box. Again, this is probably due to price constraints but it was dreadfull to open a box and see all of the loose stuff in there.
All in all, visually the game is inviting, cheerfull and looks great.

Rules

Having watched the Watch it Played video for this I found the rules fast to read and easy to grasp. Somethings weren't so clear and had to be looked up but were easily located. The rules are short and clear and we didn't have to look too much up.

Gameplay

I had a lot of fun with this game. There was a lot of laughing around the table, especially when me and my partner managed to really work against each other breaking and speeding up in the same turn or investing heavily (due to damage we needed 2 extra action points to use our special ability) in our racial ability only to find that my second man didn't spend enough on the turn.
The one thing that annoyed me and my partner was the counting when the other team was ready. We were in the back the whole time and got unlucky when damage was dealt to us (in addition the other team played elves and kept on grabbing power-ups). They had an innitiative boost during the race as well so more often then not we were second in initiative. While we were still playing the other team was already planning (without talking) their next turn while we were still executing our turn. I found that gave them a huge advantage and we then got counted down a number of times.

Overall

Overall the game is good fun. Nice to play after a more serious game.

I would have to agree with the Dice Tower. They said that the qualifier/race order is probably not necessary. Next time I will probably give the teams each one upgrade and just do the race.

I will also house-rule the countdown rule. I don't know if I'll remove it or just change it though. It's obvious though that it made the game less fun as it was and that's not what it's meant for.

I'll give it a 7.5/10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.