Yashima: Legend of the Kami Masters» Forums » Rules

Subject: Advice on movement and Saru rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first played the game, we played movement in a way that you can move in any direction AND change the direction during the movement as often as you like, plus face any direction you like at the end of your movement. You are only limited by the number of hexes that you can cross.

However, then I played with Mitsuo and Saru and Saru says that masters around him have to face him at the end of their turn. This seemed pretty useless to me since you can change your orientation before you attack as well as during movement and I haven't found an attack that would work better on people that are turned with their backs to you....
So, my question is:
What am I missing? Can you only change your orientation during movement once (i. e. at the start, during or at the end but only once)? Or is there some bonus when someone "shoots" you in the back?

Thanks for any response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can change facing after you move. There are a few cards out there that give a bonus if you are behind the opponent, but not enough to place so much seemingly important focus on facing. This is one of the elements in this game that feels underdeveloped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After I move? So I must move in a straight line from where I was facing after my previos action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esed wrote:
After I move? So I must move in a straight line from where I was facing after my previos action?

No. You move hexes. Which hexes is determined by your speed and your liking. There is no need to move in a straight line at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha. Then, I still don't understand what Saru is for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Sprung
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the question, Simona!

During the design of Yashima, facing is something that has been changed a couple times over. Originally, you could only change facing during movement - but we felt players took too much time on their turn deciding where to move, since they had to think about where they needed to face. Now you can rotate freely before swinging, to make it easier to target and not worry about it during movement.

Facing does matter, just in certain situations. Some masters and kami have the AMBUSH effect on some Phoenix cards. Like many other things in Yashima, some details mean little in MOST situations, but in specific match-ups they can have a big impact on gameplay.

For example, combining Mitsuo with a Tortoise kami has little need for Saru's facing effect. While Mitsuo combined with the Phoenix means that Saru's facing effect makes the ambushes just that much easier to pull off.

Like always, play to your master/kami's strengths and you'll make the most out of them!

Also, it is of note that future masters and kami will be placing more importance on facing...whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.