Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As some one who has read the rules and nothing more, the artifacts look great. Special features w/o being too powerful, interesting choices, and they really add to the theme quite a bit.

However, there is a minor issue. An artifact is quite different in size than a squad of ogres or viking ships. This means that suddenly you need strange little exceptions about stacking limits. This in turn kinda mucks up some of the elegance of the rules.

I think have a solution. If you have an artifact, create an off-map holding box. The unit that is holding the artifact resides in this box, and the artifact goes on the board to represent location. Now the block represents a whole unit, and all the normal stacking and hex-side limits apply.

Sounds like it should work. Feedback?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The blocks don't have individual IDs on them. How would you show which block has the artifact? Is it Glader No. 1, No. 2 or No. 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The block holding the artifact isn't on the board. That block is off the map in the artifact's box. The *artifact* block is on the map, but the holder isn't.

If you want to know where the artifact/unit is located? Find the artifact on the map.

If you want to know who has the artifact, look in the off-map box.

It makes sense in my head, but I haven't actually set it up physically so maybe I'm missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well... assuming your opponent is not cheating, if you see that a group is 'overstacked' (because artifacts don't count for stacking), wouldn't it be safe to assume that they have an artifact?

BTW Ted, .... per the rulebook:

Quote:
The (artifact) carrier is established at the begining of a battle and may only change between Combat Rounds

Ergo, you wouldn't be able to set aside an 'artifact-carrying unit' when not in battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Well... assuming your opponent is not cheating, if you see that a group is 'overstacked' (because artifacts don't count for stacking), wouldn't it be safe to assume that they have an artifact?

I'm saying you shouldn't have to announce "That group of blocks has an artifact," and overstacking does just that. In my proposal, any block on the board could have an artifact. Even a solitary lone block could hold an artifact. YMMV, but I like that idea, at least in my head.

Quote:
The (artifact) carrier is established at the begining of a battle and may only change between Combat Rounds

I missed that rule, but the way I read it all it means is that you can't move the artifact in a combat round. If your carrier is a B and it gets hit hard by an A, it can't then pass the artifact to a strong C. You've got to wait until the next combat round.

The rule doesn't *forbid* you picking a carrier unit between battles. It just says you don't have to. In exchange for committing a unit to carrying the artifact, you get the ability to hide the location. And at the beginning of battle you can always give the artifact to some one else.

Like I said, it makes good sense in my head, but I guess I should *play* a couple times before I decide I like the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sure.... Now, just playing Devil's advocate:

Assuming everything in the manual is done on purpose, maybe their intention was to 'force' you to play with one unit less in a stack for every item you want to 'hide' in it.

So basically for the advantage of the artifact + the bonus of it being hidden, you pay the cost of having 1 unit less per item in the stack.... and conversely, if you want a stronger stack, you can add the extra unit while giving away the location of the artifact (because it would look overstacked from the opponent's perspective).

Dunno, just trying to avoid changing the game too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Adding wood to the fire....

what if in the middle of the movement phase, you want to hand the item to a different unit? that would clearly show where the item is when you swap units between the map and the off-board holding spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.