Zombie Dice» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hottie and Hunk - clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rock woofstone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that the hottie and hunk "can rescue each other from the zombies".

"Can..."

Does that mean that the rescue is optional, and instead I can choose to accept the shotgun(s) as per usual, or must it happen?

i.e. does this introduce an extra decision point into the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the clarification is in the next sentence:

"If the Hunk rolls shotguns and the Hottie is in the brain pile (or came up “brain” on the same roll), the Hottie is rescued and goes back in the cup."

So, IF shotgun && brain pile, IS rescued. No decision is suggested in the procedure. So "can" in the first sentence is not "has the ability if you choose to use it" but "will in the right conditions". So, may be as in "the antilock brake system can pulse your brakes so your wheels don't lock up" - no decision point, it just happens under the right conditions. "Toothaches can really hurt".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is how I see it. This is an optional rule. You can choose to use it or not. I choose not to use it because it adds extra complexity and difficulty to a game that doesn't benefit from that.

If you choose to use the rule, it's not a decision point. You don't get to choose whether you accept shots/brains or return both to the cup. The rule is there to make the game harder. Hunk is usually going to shoot you, he's a super red, and Hottie is usually going to run, she's a super yellow. So it's always in the games benefit (the house), and the players detriment, for this to happen.

Since I don't use the rule I had to look it up. I was getting the impression from your post that when a rescue occurs they both go back to the cup, and that is not the case. When a Rescue occurs, you are still keeping the shot(s) that did the rescuing, only the rescued die goes back to the cup. So there is nothing to choose, you are in fact accepting the shot(s) as usual, but you're also losing some brains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
Here is how I see it. This is an optional rule. You can choose to use it or not. I choose not to use it because it adds extra complexity and difficulty to a game that doesn't benefit from that.

Why do you think it's an optional rule? I don't see anything to indicate that. If you use the Hunk and the Hottie, this rule is in play, because it's part of the rules for them.

Other than that, I agree with you. If you have one of these dice in the brains pile (or rolled brains on it this turn) and the other comes up a shotgun (or shotguns), you keep the shotguns as normal but the other die is "rescued" and goes back into the cup.

The word "can" just indicates that these dice can do something that the normal dice can't - that is, they have an extra ability that the others don't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, that it's not listed as "optional" or "advanced", etc. Now while I could say that every rule to every game is optional, and you could say that I should specify more clearly that what I'm saying is a Houserule, for me it boils down to the fact that this is an expansion.

When adding material from an expansion, it doesn't have the strict "canon (holy gospel)" quality that the base rules have.

I'm absolutely saying that as a Houserule, I don't play with Rescue. I don't think it adds much to the game, and it detracts more than it adds. For me this is a light pick-up game, I play it with non-gamers, before/after/between other games, or while drinking. With non-gamers I'd like it as simple as possible, while these dice add to the game, rescue does not. While drinking, or simply moving very rapidly through a turn, this rule can often be forgotten (sometimes ignored and gotten away with if everybody isn't paying strict attention).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gideon Stargrave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official Rules also state that I should "Remove two yellow dice from the cup, and drop in the Hunk and Hottie", which is a rule I ignore [I just add them both to the cup, and Santa too if it's the Holidays].

We actually DO use the Rescue rules in our games, but the point stands that you should feel free to use these expansion dice in whatever way best enhances your enjoyment of Zombie Dice! I can definitely see how the Rescue rule adds complexity to an otherwise simple and quick dice chucker.

Full disclosure, we bought ZD3 [the Big Yellow School Bus] but have only played with it a few times. Now THERE is an expansion that adds needless complexity to the game - we had to keep referring back to the rules for clarification on what the various icons meant. Ugh.

EDIT: The funny thing with the Santa die is that we never had to refer back to the rules to see what the symbols meant, since they are so intuitive. Helmet cancels a Blast, Energy Drink gives you extra speed to catch Runners... got it! The icons on the Bus are just not that intuitive. Stop, Yield, Dead End, Skid Marks, brain tokens... it's all too much to keep track of, the game is much better off without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock woofstone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.