Subject: Solo-experience? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Thorsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do enjoy building an economic engine, and the austerity level should regulate difficulty somewhat, but I'm still not convinced the game would be able to stay interesting as a solo game for more than a few plays.

What are your thoughts on the game as a solo experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Chen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Vitruvian Gamer played the game a few times solo. He posted a series of YouTube videos of one play through. Maybe he can tell you more about his experience?

From what I can tell, the variance comes from Event cards (max 7 per game out of 30), Employee tile distribution each round, Company card selection each round, Export contract distribution each round, and Influence cards drawn (generally a handful out of 28, though I don't think they're all unique). You'll have to decide if that's varied enough for your long-term enjoyment.

The Kickstarter page has a Vassal module available to try, and it mentions forthcoming availability on Tabletopia as well. Maybe a firsthand experience would help. You don't even have to coordinate with another player to try it out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ludicreations/crisis?re...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cybarite wrote:
I do enjoy building an economic engine, and the austerity level should regulate difficulty somewhat, but I'm still not convinced the game would be able to stay interesting as a solo game for more than a few plays.

What are your thoughts on the game as a solo experience?

I haven't played it that many times myself but I think it would be quite replayable considering the random events, the way the employees and industries are drawn randomly and with the three levels of difficulty you can chose to play.

Anyways, I'm just speculating but that's what I think. And the playthrough I did, I really enjoyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Chen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally, if game mechanisms aren't the only thing that draw you into a solo gaming experience, you might consider the narrative arc present in Crisis. The Broken Meeple review and the Dicey Exploits video both describe how the game is designed to reflect its theme and generate dramatic tension.

The economy can crash pretty quickly, and there's a struggle to see if the country can even survive. Sometimes, you manage to stabilize the economic freefall, and other times you can completely turn things around once you've gotten your footing. You certainly won't be recording a new high score if the game ends in three rounds though. This kind of narrative isn't as common in some Euro games these days.

You can always try out the game on Vassal to see for yourself (and eventually Tabletopia). You don't even have to coordinate with someone else to experience the solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to try it solo on Tabletopia, but there doesn't seem to be any solo rules available. Do you play the game exactly the same regardless of player count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
I'm curious to try it solo on Tabletopia, but there doesn't seem to be any solo rules available. Do you play the game exactly the same regardless of player count?

Yes, you do... There are these cards in the game (forgot the name) that dictate the number of players and the difficulty. I talk about it in this playthrough around the 3rd minute if you are interested: https://youtu.be/KfFQvIJ53sw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Favazza
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this solo on Tabletopia last night. I really enjoyed it and now I can't wait to pay it with others. However the solo play definitely needs some extra rules. I played on easy and it was ridiculously easy. All you are really doing is trying to maximize your score. The nation never came close to being in trouble and I pretty much had it pegged at the max stability value for every turn after round 4. I'll try it again at harder difficulty but I really think it needs something that simulates other players taking some of the spots or grabbing some of the businesses and contacts. Otherwise it's too different from how the multiplayer works and basically feels like a different game.

Still, it's incredibly satisfying getting your businesses running and deciding what to produce each turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.