Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
designer
Game Design Theory Lover !!!
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to take a hard decision. I currently own 3 worker placement games: Caylus Magna Carta, Targi and I just ordered Viticulture Essential Edition.

I have not payed yet Caylus Magna Carta (although I bought it some months ago), but I have played Targi a lot.

So, I try to decide if CMC worth to be into my collection or not. What would you do guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Why do you feel that owning three worker placement games is too much? Honestly, there is no substitute for trying and finding out for yourself; and if your interest in the game is such that you can leave it lying around for some months without playing it... then I doubt the decision to let it go can be as hard as you make it out to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shush Ruth
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi plays only 2 whereas CMC plays upto 5 (with the Favors expansion). CMC takes a lot less table space, is easier to explain to new players and has comparable depth to Viticulture. I'd actually say CMC is deeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must please try CMC. I'm not really a big Euro fan, and can't comment on the other games you mention, but CMC is one of our favourite games. Admittedly its not a "go to" main event game, but every time it does hit the table its enjoyed.

The game changes depending on the card draw, and others strategies, and you need to adapt. Its not a learn how to win, rinse, repeat game, despite being easy to learn. Its also quick enough to be one of those games, where when you lose, you want one more go.

It also plays 2, 3 or 4 players just as well, if slightly different.
Seriously, try it three or four times before you decide; it'll be a couple of hours well invested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Because the card game version Caylus Magna Carta is better than the original board game Caylus.

It is brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have never played Viticulture, but CMC and Targui are definitely keepers. I'm sure you have something else in your collection that you can get rid of instead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.