Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hi everyone.

Some advice on labels would be much appreciated.

I'm looking to produce around 100 boards and want to keep my workload and costs down to a minimum. I figure the easiest way for me to make these boards is to print them onto self adhesive labels.

My questions are - Matte or gloss? I only seem to be able to find the colour labels I need in matte. Would boards with matte finish labels be acceptable for a game sold on the net at cost price? I want to get the game out there but I'm not particularly bothered about making money out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Lauck
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Offer the files as Print&play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I think it would depend on the price. As long as you price is obviously cheaper than normal board game prices, matte labels (or other kinds of imperfections) are acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the size of your board, you may just want to go with the Game Crafter or similar small-run producer.

Once you factor in the cost of adhesive labels and blank boards plus your time... might be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Just spent a couple of hours costing it. I reckon I can knock em out at £10.11p each. That's everything including the box.
I've got some set up costs, I need to buy a good colour printer and some other equipment that'll set me back around £500. I haven't decided whether or not to add a bit on in order to re-coup this initial outlay yet.
If I sell them at cost then I'm looking at around £25 to get them to customers in the US, which is the best market for the theme of my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to making the game print and play
You don't have to worry about making it yourself and the player wont have to spend money on the game and on shipping. I also don't think I'm alone in taking pride in making the game myself too, gives me the choice of matte or gloss. Which btw I prefer matte as long as the colors and such are vivid enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably spend 10£ for a homemade version without further questions. But at 25£ I might think twice. It really comes down to the number of components and home made quality. For just a hand full of tokens and a board I most likely wouldn't want to lay £25, even with shipping included. Print and play might be my preferred choice then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks guys, you've given me some food for thought.

Probably the cheapest I could get them out to the US without making a loss is around the £20($26) mark but that means 45 days delivery time as opposed to 7 days at £25.

The set would include 1 game board, 90 tiles, 16 pawns, 1 dice, 110 cards, money, rulebook and box. Production values would be more akin to vintage games than todays games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.